The Killing Joke

The Official Unofficial Bandit Removal Petition

I agree you can't force a murderer to wear a bandit skin... ideally you should choose how you look...

I enjoy how you professionally brought your request, and that thing about EvE sounds crazily bad ass, but the thing is I don't think they should be removed, since this is an alpha other stuff is being focused on. Changing the bandit system would be good though, resetting every life, being able for the game to tell between self defence and violence and maybe just give the choice of to a bandit who died if they want to continue their life as one or revert to a survivor.

Yes, do away with the bandit system. It doesn't work as intended.

Is the current system not working for the majority of people or is it not working for a small set of people who would like to have an easier time harassing other players? Not sure here... ;-)

I agree, seeing who's an enemy and who's a friendly makes it all too easy to spot who you should shoot on sight.

yo guiz i think its totally unfair that people get the bandit skin. it looks cool but well you get shot.

so let me tell you a story:

i awakened at the spawn and shortly after i saw three survivor. they talked to me, so i thougth im so dark and edgy cahr that i am playing so i said i am friendly and after they looked away i shot them. lolz

then i got to cherno and camped on a building looking to the coast to shoot dem noobz. good thing i found something to eat later in a barn rigth below me. but then this survivor came up to me and asked me if im friendly and i said fof corse yes cause lol i wanted to shot hem . but he said im bandit so he juist shot me and im like wtf what is this. that totally ruins the immersion and is unrealistic cause he wouldnt shot me if was survivor. so plxxxx rockz pls remove the bandit skin or gieve everyine the skin cause it looks so coooooool

and remove umahinty cauze what if i want to be agood person after simebiody killed me? dont make the game unnecesary hard for bandits cause all survivor are faggots who doesnt deservere theyr beans.

thank you for reading my input.

This is as lame as demanding immunity from pvp.

How about we remove any reason for playing as a friendly and remove any consequence for your choices. I'm ok with the humanity reset, if humane players gets to regain their equipment after death.

If there's no consequences for killing other players, then there's no reason for playing as friendly.

Don't trivialize the time and effort players make to play as friendlies, by allowing bandits to reboot their humanity by pressing respawn. We have to challenge everyone we meet, trust them or avoid them, which is pretty damn time consuming. The time we waste on avoiding conflict, a remorseful bandit should waste on regaining his humanity.

You mock people for wanting to remove pvp from servers and then demand not getting flagged as a pvp player. I don't mind playing with my hands tied behind my back, while others gets to kill and pillage, but when they've revealed themselves as bandits, atleast give me green light to treat them as such.

If you get rid of the bandit skin, how am I going to be so effectively camouflaged in Solznichy quarry or on the beach, where my desert camouflage finally comes to the fore?

If you get rid of the bandit skin' date=' how am I going to be so effectively camouflaged in Solznichy quarry or on the beach, where my desert camouflage finally comes to the fore?

[/quote']

Easy. You get to CHOOSE IT, or it becomes a dropped item.

How about we remove any reason for playing as a friendly and remove any consequence for your choices. I'm ok with the humanity reset' date=' if humane players gets to regain their equipment after death.[/quote']

I have yet to see an explanation for a logical reason why this would happen, in this game. Why do you all see the branding of a player as actually feasible in this universe? Do people who murder suddenly look different in real life? Is the point the devs are trying to make that this game is realistic, or not?

Don't trivialize the time and effort players make to play as friendlies' date=' by allowing bandits to reboot their humanity by pressing respawn. We have to challenge everyone we meet, trust them or avoid them, which is pretty damn time consuming. The time we waste on avoiding conflict, a remorseful bandit should waste on regaining his humanity.[/quote']

Humanity is fine, but you can't force them to wear it as a badge of shame.

You mock people for wanting to remove pvp from servers and then demand not getting flagged as a pvp player. I don't mind playing with my hands tied behind my back' date=' while others gets to kill and pillage, but when they've revealed themselves as bandits, atleast give me green light to treat them as such.

[/quote']

I never mocked anyone. You want to play on carebear mode, be my guest. Go ahead and open a PvP free server, and (as someone eloquently put it in another thread) play your 'stamp collecting' game.

My point is, and always will be, this. There are a LOT of reasons why someone would kill another person in the zombie apocalypse. It could be as simple as someone hoarding all the best equipment, or self-defense. The trick is, YOU WOULDN'T AUTOMATICALLY KNOW about anyone's alignment when you first meet them, and as such, it's an unfair mechanic.

You can't argue that. It's logic. Call this a 'zombie apocalypse sim', and it's irrefutable. Call it a game, and I guess you can call it whatever you'd like.

TKJ

I'm against removing bandits' date=' they're a part of the game, part of the immersion and part of the realism. Learn to outplay them.

[/quote']

I don't think it should be removed either. I just think it should be wiped clean with death, like everything else.

Simple but effective solution that will please all parties on this debate +1

when you die, you can start over as a good guy if you want.

Simple but effective solution that will please all parties on this debate +1

It does not please all parties. Please don't misrepresent all players by saying so. There is no chance that it will ever be fair to everybody to be visibly called out for your actions in this game.

That's part of what the mystique could be - not knowing if you're looking at a friend or a possible foe. From either side. I certainly don't think survivors should be skinned based upon how long they've been in the game, so how is this any more fair?

TKJ

If you get rid of the bandit skin' date=' how am I going to be so effectively camouflaged in Solznichy quarry or on the beach, where my desert camouflage finally comes to the fore?

[/quote']

Easy. You get to CHOOSE IT, or it becomes a dropped item.

Haha sorry man I was being facetious.

Those two places I listed are the only ones in the game where having desert camo is actually useful.

The bandit skin to work ratio is way too big at the moment. Better to scrap it until we get a better engine.

Haha sorry man I was being facetious. Those two places I listed are the only ones in the game where having desert camo is actually useful.

LOL. No worries. My meter is running a little high on this issue. All I seem to see are people throwing out, "it's not fair for people to be able to kill other people without repercussions" or, "we'll just give 'em a timer on the skin, and the complaints will all just go away."

WRONG.

You know the only time killing another player SHOULD carry repercussions? When somebody is watching, or when zombies are within earshot. Other than that, hold it as word of mouth.

TKJ

Reset on death, and make the threshold slightly higher. Make regaining humanity only time + act based for Survivors, and only act based for bandits.

Haha sorry man I was being facetious. Those two places I listed are the only ones in the game where having desert camo is actually useful.

LOL. No worries. My meter is running a little high on this issue. All I seem to see are people throwing out' date=' "it's not fair for people to be able to kill other people without repercussions" or, "we'll just give 'em a timer on the skin, and the complaints will all just go away."

WRONG.

You know the only time killing another player SHOULD carry repercussions? When somebody is watching, or when zombies are within earshot. Other than that, hold it as word of mouth.

TKJ

[/quote']

For sure.

I think something that needs to be done is to make the user names permanent within the game. At the moment, somebody can effectively harass the crap out of people in game, then change their name and never be found again. Just as if you were surviving in an apocalyptic world, people would recognise you. If somebody is endlessly running their mouth and threatening everybody with violence, I want to be able to look through the servers, find their name, and then introduce them to Mr Law and Mrs Order.

If people were held accountable a bit more, you'd see a drop in player kills and an increase in benevolence.

Hell, I'd only kill Vanomas on sight by virtue of his name, and I never play on the EU or Russian servers, so that's never going to happen.

Also, I'd like the survivor skin to be a little less Ash Ketchum and a little more army ranger.

DayZ is not really comparable with EVE because you can easily change your ID. It's already hard to recognize any player you see on the street. Your (survivor)skin changes every spawn, you can easily change your name. Your ingame-history means nothing EXCEPT for the bandit-skin. That's a huge difference to EVE, where players are bound to their character by name and progress.

Imho, the Bandit-Skin is a valuable addition to this game. First: It makes playerkilling being more meaningful and have consequences. Second: It somewhat of a counter-movement to the CoD-mentality that grows latley, where everybody is killing everybody on sight for no reason. Like this is a deathmatch shooter, instead of a survival simulator. Third: It leads to battles between good guys and bad guys (think of Mad Max 2).

Bandit-Skins might not be realistic, but Gameplay > Realism. You have to consider that there are several aspects, that are not realistic (e.g. being there 24/7, unchangeable traits, recognizable faces), because this isn't real life after all. Those aspects have to be BALANCED by gameplay-features like bandit-skins.

[...]

3: The threshold for becoming a bandit is far too low. One or two kills banishes a survivor to run with the cod pewpew kids. Survivors should be able to defend themselves without repercussions. If the threshold was closer to 8-10 kills it would be a more effective system. If not that many kills' date=' allowing survivors to regain humanity quicker, where bandits can only regain humanity for acts of kindness would work as well. Even with the latter, the threshold for kills should be equal to at least 3 or 4 kills, as many bandits operate in pairs.

[/quote']

I totally agree with this. the threshold needs to be higher, so that one does not become bandit-skinned by self-defense for just killing 1-2 people. right now it's abit confusing since NOT every bandit = bad guy, like it should be. (some kind of good-guy-postman skin would be also interesting.)

Honestly it seems to me, those who complain about the bandit-skin, just want to enjoy their psycho killer chars even more easily and undetectable, and don't like that their behaviour actually leads to noticable consequences and prevent things like backstabbing survivor groups.

I think something that needs to be done is to make the user names permanent within the game. At the moment' date=' somebody can effectively harass the crap out of people in game, then change their name and never be found again. Just as if you were surviving in an apocalyptic world, people would recognise you. If somebody is endlessly running their mouth and threatening everybody with violence, I want to be able to look through the servers, find their name, and then introduce them to Mr Law and Mrs Order.[/quote']

Exactly.

I think I may be misunderstood, but I am definitely NOT for people spawn camping, or otherwise getting their kicks killing anybody and everybody in sight for no reason. I agree with you 100%, in the fact that you should be able to use your radio to signal everybody that so-and-so are acting this way.

This is, after all, the zombie apocalypse. As such, there ARE rules.

TKJ

What if the 'bandit' status was still visible, but hidden somehow? Like, once your humanity drops below a certain level, your eyes will start to glow? This would gradually fade over time, but could also be completely hidden by acquiring some kind of goggles/mask.

This would lead to all kinds of fun situations... Players forcing someone to take off their helmet (making them more vulnerable to headshots) before giving them any assistance... bandits putting on a mask in order to infiltrate a group, hoping that the glow will wear off before they get suspicious...

Obviously this would reset on death.

Whereas I will never want rid of PvP and bandits, I think your EVE story is disgraceful. Yeah, he was trusted and maybe they shouldn't have trusted him, but for him to steal everything that a lot of players had built up is just wrong in my view.

That one person had a great laugh and enjoyed the spoils, but what about the others? A lot may have been mature and just shrugged it off as a life lesson, others may have been really upset, some may have quit.

This is gaming, about playing games. There is enough shit and horror every time I turn on the Tv or walk out of my door and I do not want that in my games. Be a bandit, and shoot people, that's part of the game. But to want to be able to insinuate yourself into a group and then really try to screw them over when you have gained their trust? No, just no.

Go join your local parliament if you want to get kicks like that. One person should not be able to make a load of players want to stop playing the game.

Christ TKJ, the thread title had me ready to slap you.

Christ TKJ' date=' the thread title had me ready to slap you.[/quote']

Come on, Griff. You KNOW you want to move this to the "Sticky" section.

:D

TKJ

For everyone spewing "But it's realistic" over and over..

How is it realistic? I didn't know murderers and bandits wore different clothes to out themselves. They don't now, they wouldn't after an apocalypse, at least not smart ones anyway.

It would be different if bandit was a faction, and they wore uniforms that matched each others with insignias or something to out themselves so people know not to mess with them.

But it isn't the case.

If anything it's unrealistic. But there are more pressing issues right now than the humanity system. A quick test could be to make humanity reset on death for a patch and see how it works out.

I agree with others that the bandit skin should stay, even thou i am currently a bandit myself! Not by choice i might add. But it does need some tuning, increasing the threshold slightly but not much would do it in my opinion.

Also you need to make ways of gaining humanity back easier, thats the key to a great working system in my opinion. Slightly higher threshold before you get the bandit skin and increase the ways you get humanity, i mean 200 for blood? it should be 1000 minimum.

In short I'd say: No bandit skin. It's too arcade like. Instead every player should have a different skin.