Sign in to follow this  
Atkins (DayZ)

Weapons Feedback and Discussion

* Crossbow is way too difficult to aim to use it effectively as a silent killer.

* AK74 is a bit too underpowered. 2 shots per zombie? I rather stick with the good old Winchester or even revolver/pistol.

I drop zombies with the AK-74 (5.45), one shot to the chest, not sure why it would take you more.

Edit: After a bit more testing, that seems to be false, at least some of the time. I'm not sure if the non-armored military zombies can take more hits or not, but one took two rounds to the chest.

All of the civilian zombies just took one, though.

Also, Winchester ammo seems much, much too common for how good the gun is.

STANAG rounds are something that I find a little under powered to be honest. They seem to take a couple of shots like that of the AKM. Realistically, I would have thought an M4A1 for example, would drop walkers one shot. I guess it reinforces the aiming for the head though, so I don't necessarily think weapon balance should change.

I think the M9 should be the starter pistol or perhaps a makarov (random chance on spawn?), winchester spawns made more rare and remington 870 more common.

I drop zombies with the AK-74 (5.56)

The AK-74 fires a 5.45x39 round.

M16/M4 variants use 5.56x45 round.

The AK-47 (AKM, AKS) fires a 7.62x39 round.

Chest shots with 7.62 is 1 shot, arms and legs is 2.

Chest shots with 5.45/5.56 is 2 shot, arms and legs is 2 as well.

Chest shots with 7.62 is 1 shot' date=' arms and legs is 2.

[/quote']

I've killed zombies with one shot to the chest with 5.56 and 5.45 rounds many times, the problem is that it's not as predictably effective as the 7.62.

The AK-74 fires a 5.45x39 round.

M16/M4 variants use 5.56x45 round.

The AK-47 (AKM' date=' AKS) fires a 7.62x39 round.

Chest shots with 7.62 is 1 shot, arms and legs is 2.

[/quote']

You would be correct actually, haha. I checked on the official site since I didn't remember exactly, but I guess I didn't read it well enough, my mistake, edited, corrected.

But are you sure it's always 2 shots with the 5.45? I could swear I've dropped a couple in one. Guess I'll just have to shoot more zeds to really see.

The pump shotgun with the flashlight seems to be dramatically underpowered, racking a new round takes forever and it feels like it does way less dmg than the winchester does (not to mention the magazine size difference).

The crossbow is not meant to be a sniper weapon but perhaps it needs another little notch or something in the middle of that iron sight, outside a few feet it's hard to tell where the center is sometimes and the way the bolts dont stack makes mistakes very costly in terms of gear when you miss, perhaps keep it the same but have bolts come in stacks of 2-3 or something.

would like to see more eastern euro/soviet weapons and less western/US stuff due to the games location. seems a tad odd finding a berreta 9mm and not something a bit more local

Mosin Nagants, M44s and 91/30s scoped and unscoped.

Saiga shot guns

Baikal single shots and shotguns

makarov pistols

yugoslav mausers (pretty much K98)

Automatic AK weapons are so rare that you don't find them that often so once u find one, imo it should be worth it; so 1 shot 1 kill, no matter which AK etc u have. Even the basic revolver is 1 shot 1 kill.

Winchester Pellets are fun. You can sometimes take 2 (or maybe more) zombies down with 1 shot.

It would be cool if starting weapons were slightly randomised, and the revolver was turned into a rare find (as it is such a powerful weapon right now.) Randomised starting weapons might also make it less desirable to kill other newbies, assuming the guns were all equally as good.

I would really like to see a wide selection of '70s soviet weapons.

And then the weapons that farmers have, bolt action rifles, shotguns, crappy pistols ?.. pitchforks?

Edit: Basically what Konev said : )

Crossbow is fantastic. You have to aim slightly lower than you think though. Other than that I'd love to have one.

Feedback after a few week, 60-80 in game hour char (still alive, full gear exept for ghillie), ArmA2 player from the beginning.

"Basic" weapons like the marakov, lee enfield, winchester are perfectly fine. They are common but effective, not too powerful in general (lee enfield one-shot a player but have a really low rof and so on)

Scoped bolt action are great (balance & loot%). A bit hard to use at first but you can achieve great results depending of the range. A trained player can hit a human target 800m away, some guys manage to reach a kilometer.

Basic Ak / m16 variants are... ok. Weapons are balanced, but i think they are still too common. In a survival, an assault rifle have to be hard to find (with limited ammo). It give a player a great firepower, you can get rid of a bunch of Z in a matter of second, a player or two at close range are dead meat. It's ok to have some in the game, but not too much. (not that much imo)

"Advanced" ak / M16 (M203, acog, sd and so on) and semi-auto scoped rifle should be extremly rare. In trained hand these weapons can kill anything, wipe a survivor groupe in second. (landing a 40mm HE grenade in a door 150m away only require training, the acog tricks for auto-elevation allow you to hit a standing human every single time from 50 to 400m+)

The AS50 is too powerful and i think it should be removed from dayz. It's not because i get killed by this weapon, i don't. An antimaterial rifle in a survival... does not make sense, it's too easy to kill players / vehicule. By easy, i mean that it does not require training, experience, skill or to be in a dangerous situation. A player with an M24 1km away in a forest is "safe" but it's not an easy shot and it wont kill the target in one bullet. Another guy 100m from his target hinding in a bush / house will get a kill with an "easy" shot but you have to be close. Z will hear the shot, others players too. It's old news, but it deal too much damage loaded with an AS50 mag (the 5 round one), from what i recall it was dealing damage close to the bradley's M242 APFSDS-T ammo in OA (it's a 25mm tungsten sabot round), and was able to outperform 20mm AP round.

Can't tell for the M107, it is powerful but you have to rely on mil dot. (and i did not find one yet, i used this weapon a lot in ArmA2 / OA but not in dayZ yet.)

Same deal with the rangefinder. I know it's not a weapon but it make scoped weapons too easy to use. Training, experience and mil dot table are enough. It took me 3 hours to get my first weapon the first time i played dayZ, now i can get one in 1/2h because i know where to look, and what i have to avoid. My char do not xp, but i do get experience and it make the game easier.

L85? Fine by me. Thermal could be op, but... 5.56 perform badly at range and the big scope magnification make it hard to use (shoot, spot) effectively. Good spotting device at long range, bad rifle.

Sorry for my bad english, thx for reading. :)

Edited by OuicheLorraine