nettles

Toggle Melee Attacks

Right, so, I've been sifting through a couple threads and it seems like a lot of people are interested in seeing varied types of melee attacks.  I like the idea of having to raise your melee weapon before you can swing it at a zombie or Small Child with a Scoped Mosin spoiled by CoD  Bandit posted up on Svetlo's cliffs.  But when you're indoors and get cornered by a zombie, an overhead swing might get caught by the ceiling or a nearby wall and that's way past uncool.  So I propose that the 'T' button (Used to toggle the M4 into Select-Fire or Auto and the shotgun into twin-barrel modes) could maybe toggle our melee weapons to do say, a vertical overhead attack, to a sweeping horizontal swing, to maybe like a shoving motion that pushes enemies away (or off the aforementioned cliffs).   Also, it would be really nice if the Combat Knife and M4 bayonet had stabbing attacks as alternatives to that silly looking chop.  

• Like 10

Beans for you! This can be very annoying especially when you are inside a house/flat etc

I agree! Another thought is that a lowered attack could be vertical at about chest level, while raised attacks are the diagonal attacks we see a lot of now.

In general, one handed melee weapons need a better animation altogether, because they look silly the way you hold them right now, and the Hammer/Sickle/Machete/KitchenKnife/M9A1/CrescentWrench all look extremely odd the way they swing. (They could also use a damage boost)

Edited by dvsilverwing
  • Like 1

I appreciate the beans y'all.  I'm really excited to see the upcoming Less-than-Lethal weapons-  maybe we'll get some knockout melee like cow prods and Tazers you can up the amperage on.  

It'd be cool to be able to toggle attacks when you're unarmed- I'd love to throw a side kick or some kind of grab attack, like you grab a zombie by the collar, turn, and then shove them and they knock back other zombies. Maybe that's a bit obtuse though.

I appreciate the beans y'all.  I'm really excited to see the upcoming Less-than-Lethal weapons-  maybe we'll get some knockout melee like cow prods and Tazers you can up the amperage on.  

It'd be cool to be able to toggle attacks when you're unarmed- I'd love to throw a side kick or some kind of grab attack, like you grab a zombie by the collar, turn, and then shove them and they knock back other zombies. Maybe that's a bit obtuse though.

I wouldn't mind seeing a shove to knock zombies/players over, but current fists do the exact same thing so...

I wouldn't mind seeing a shove to knock zombies/players over, but current fists do the exact same thing so...

Well, Players who are wearing helmets and some military zombies aren't affected by knockout punches as easily. I was thinking of more like pushing enemies away from you to either line up a shot or run away. 

Let us use blade of shovel, back of splitting axe.

Jabs with any long weapon, stab/ slash with knives.

I feel like the whomping-motion attack with the pitchfork would be a decent non-lethal blunt force alternative to the more-than-lethal puncture-wound inflicting stabbing attack that's due out. Again, it all just boils down to being able to toggle between swings.  

Also, Maybe with axes we could use horizontal swings to chop down trees for firewood and use vertical or diagonal swings to collect branches/sticks for splints/bows/impromptu backpacks?  Again, maybe my thinking is a little too obtuse. Thoughts?

yes, every weapon should have at least 2 different attacks, 1 low and 1 high or big or whatever you would call it. +1

Anyone knows Dark Messiah ? This Game had a great Melee System (at least in my opinion), but i doubt the engine could handle this.

Two Short Vids so you know what im talking about.

I especially like the idea of kicking zombies around :P

For further explanation of the mechanics.

If you press a direction key plus the right mouse Button the weapon performs differnt attacks.

For example:

If you Press D + hold right mouse button the weapon positions for a right swing and performs the attack if you release the button.

The attacks differ for each direction.

A = Left swing , S = Stab (of course not for blunt Weapons), W = overhead swing

Not as simple as the current mechanics but i think it would fit the Game and its not too hard to learn either.

Edited by DNY
  • Like 1

Haha, those videos were pretty metal.  I especially liked the part where the player kicked that oblivious enemy into the spikes.  Now that would make for a great shoving attack- no matter what weapon you have out you can use a kick to shove or knock back things-  when physics and ragdoll come out that would be a fantastic way to open a door to clear a room while you've got your gun raised.  Kick that junk open and fire away.  

And I think the techniques you're talking about were also in the game Oblivion (Elder Scrolls?) if you charge an attack and move in a direction you perform different power attacks.

• Like 1

I didn't even think of kicking a door open, that would be amazing. :D

I dont know if elder scrolls had an attack system like that , but if it had one is wasn't as good as the dark messiah system. :P

Another thing someone mentioned in a suggestions thread (I think) was grapple attacks.  There're a lot of cool martial arts takedowns that are pretty easy to remember. grab-the-wrist, sweep-the-ankle, push-the-collar.  I'd really REALLY love to see silent takedowns- can you imagine how bad ass it would be to creep out of the shadows and twist a zombie's neck?  Or slip the tip of your knife or bayonet into the base of its skull? You could do all kinds of nasty shit to someone who has no idea you're there.