7-75 callaghan

Helicopter Crash Site Implementation Change - More immersion, realism, fun.

Arma2 engine 100% allows this' date=' it's in almost every modded mission out there. Not this specific thing but as stated, it's easily created via AI routines. Not being a modder myself, i don't know the difficulty of it, but the Arma 2 engine can handle it.

Shameless bump. One of the DEV team need to see this idea ;)

[/quote']

AI in Arma 2 is the worst of any game I've played in 29 years. Capable of this? Sure, but don't expect it to make sense, look good, happen when it's supposed to... etc etc etc. AI is beyond bad.

AI in Arma 2 is the worst of any game I've played in 29 years. Capable of this? Sure' date=' but don't expect it to make sense, look good, happen when it's supposed to... etc etc etc. AI is beyond bad.

[/quote']

Name one other game with actual AI?

The AI is not designed for zombies, hence why it doesn't work so well. Arma 2 is pretty much the only game out there that offers real AI, other games use scripts and paths to trick you into thinking that there is some kind of AI (think of any AAA FPS), whereas Arma uses real time AI decision making, meaning that occasionally they will do something a bit strange, but it all adds to depth, replayability and simulation.

Having made mechanics like this myself, I know the engine and AI would find it very, very easy, and would work exactly as I have suggested. Far, far more complex things are possible, but I try to keep my suggestions basic to increase the chances of seeing them.

Joined just now purely to +1

Please make this happen!

(And a huge thanks to Callaghan for the logic, descriptions, technical know-how, and single-mindedness required to keep this thread on track and keep on getting bumped. Awesome job man!)

I think every hour is far too often' date=' unless you are talking about fly-bys that don't crash.

1 crash every 6-8 hours is more than enough, with a max of 2-3 per server. Or there will be far too many top-tier weapons amongst the populace in no time at all.

[/quote']

I think there's already something like 3-6 crashed helicopters in a server...not sure about the exact number, but I've found as many as three between restarts on a single server without even scouting the western part of the map (which often also spawns crash sites I believe). But yeah, something like 3-4 during a single run between server restarts would be fine with me. Of course that would depend how long the server is up between restarts...the one I usually play on restarts about every 5-7 hours, so one crash every 6-8 hours would be WAY too rare.

I think there's already something like 3-6 crashed helicopters in a server...not sure about the exact number' date=' but I've found as many as three between restarts on a single server without even scouting the western part of the map (which often also spawns crash sites I believe). But yeah, something like 3-4 during a single run between server restarts would be fine with me. Of course that would depend how long the server is up between restarts...the one I usually play on restarts about every 5-7 hours, so one crash every 6-8 hours would be WAY too rare.

[/quote']

3-4 on a single run might be 'fine' with you, but it is far too often in terms of realism, game balancing, tension and other elements. I mean if they were dropping out of the sky once an hour it would just look plain ridiculous. They are supposed to be rare, exciting events, and the weapons they have on them are supposed to be rare, this mod is meant to be hard, not inundating you with top-tier military weapons. The weapons accumulate over time, as even as owners are killed other people pick them up, so the weapons are constantly improving amongst the populace. The 6-8 hours thing is just a suggestion, and I agree with the current game build would not be often enough, but if I found more than one on a single game run the immersion would be killed. The crashes are meant to be just one part of the gameplay, not the central objective.

Ressucitating this thread to get feedback from newer members/visitors. This was one of the most popular suggestions a while back, and there are many of of who would still like to hear dev feedback on it.

I'm not sure wether it's such a good idea. While at the moment you clearly know it's time to bail when you hear a helicopter(as you know that's a player and most likely not very friendly), you'd always have to wonder wether it's the crashing helicopter event or actually a player with a helicopter.

I'm all for adding more random events(I made a topic about that myself a while back) but nothing that involves something that usually is reserved for players.

I'm not sure wether it's such a good idea. While at the moment you clearly know it's time to bail when you hear a helicopter(as you know that's a player and most likely not very friendly), you'd always have to wonder wether it's the crashing helicopter event or actually a player with a helicopter.

I'm all for adding more random events(I made a topic about that myself a while back) but nothing that involves something that usually is reserved for players.

I don't understand your argument. Surely any confusion is a good thing? The last thing most players want is a stagnant experience where everything is always predictable and there are no surprises Thanks for the feedback though, I just don't see that as a problem.

I don't understand your argument. Surely any confusion is a good thing? The last thing most players want is a stagnant experience where everything is always predictable and there are no surprises Thanks for the feedback though, I just don't see that as a problem.

The problem is, that currenty all the excitement is created by player interaction and it should stay that way. I want less actualy scripted event's where something pre-programmed happens - that should be reserved for player interaction - and more just stuff you stuble upon that tell's it's story just from looking at it.

Besides, from what I've seen of this game it is set long after the apocalypse has hit and there shouldn't be any more helicopters flying about, controlled by AI soldiers. The only ones left are the survivors, which are acutal people(the so called 'player').

Wait, what if at the crash site there was a small chance of a NPC soldier spawning, so u hear gunshots from them fending off other crew zombies. Have it in standalone to uncover some of how the first days of the infection. If you help him/her they follow you and help you.

Wait, what if at the crash site there was a small chance of a NPC soldier spawning, so u hear gunshots from them fending off other crew zombies. Have it in standalone to uncover some of how the first days of the infection. If you help him/her they follow you and help you.

The last thing DayZ needs is NPC characters.

The problem is, that currenty all the excitement is created by player interaction and it should stay that way. I want less actualy scripted event's where something pre-programmed happens - that should be reserved for player interaction - and more just stuff you stuble upon that tell's it's story just from looking at it.

Besides, from what I've seen of this game it is set long after the apocalypse has hit and there shouldn't be any more helicopters flying about, controlled by AI soldiers. The only ones left are the survivors, which are acutal people(the so called 'player').

This suggestion helps exactly that emergent gameplay - the existing system of a pre-loaded heli crash is far, far more scripted than my suggestion of a vehicle that flies in and actually crashes at a random location, rather than a predetermined spawn. I have already extensively covered many of the ways in which it would benefit emergent gameplay and 'gamey' prevent loot farming etc.

The game is not set long after the apocalypse, read the lore, it is relatively recent and clearly, there are survivors.

With regards to NPC's etc - not my concern, this thread is for discussion of the basic mechanic suggested in the OP only.

Edited by Callaghan

The game is not set long after the apocalypse, read the lore, it is relatively recent and clearly, there are survivors.

Where can I read this supposed 'lore'?

All I've ever seen is what'S written on the first page of this website. Feel free to link me to this 'lore' you're speaking of.

You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.
I don't see how there is room for anysort of NPC's flying in a helicopter crashing.

Where can I read this supposed 'lore'?

All I've ever seen is what'S written on the first page of this website. Feel free to link me to this 'lore' you're speaking of.

I don't see how there is room for anysort of NPC's flying in a helicopter crashing.

A combination of what is contained within that first page and also everything that has been written/said by Rocket and the team. You wake up washed up on a beach - the story implied suggests some kind of recent tragedy that you have awoken to discover.

Why do you not see room for a crashing helicopter?

A combination of what is contained within that first page and also everything that has been written/said by Rocket and the team. You wake up washed up on a beach - the story implied suggests some kind of recent tragedy that you have awoken to discover.

Well, so much for your 'read the lore!!!'... there is nothing you could call 'lore' for DayZ.

Why do you not see room for a crashing helicopter?

Because that would imply that there is still civilization out there. My picture of DayZ is that it takes place when everything has gone to shit and only few are left, there are no organized groups out there other than the ones created by other players.

There really is no point in arguing any further, we should agree to disagree on this point.

The last thing DayZ needs is NPC characters.

Disregarding every thing the video was funny. And yes I wasn't my best Idea.

It's a well thought out idea, very. Only problem I have with it is the glitches that will occur, and trust me, when it comes to AI, glitches will occur. Though it'd be pretty funny to see someone panic in fear because a chopper is about to crash into them!

It's a shame that the devs never added this during the mod, and I'm not sure how easy it will be to integrate it into the standalone, considering using scripts to run a game is a very risky idea and I don't think that is what the standalone is going to do.