alleycat

Remove all long firearms = best kill on sight deterrent.

A Mosin Nagant has an effective range of 800M.

This means it can reliably land a shot at that range.. Meaning any rifle hunter, would be able to pick up the mosin, Zero it, and be able to snipe people really easy.

Moving people is another issue entirely, but you can't expect to be able to stand still within a kilometer of someone aiming at you with a rifle and be safe. 

This means it can reliably land a shot at that range.. Meaning any rifle hunter, would be able to pick up the mosin, Zero it, and be able to snipe people really easy.

Moving people is another issue entirely, but you can't expect to be able to stand still within a kilometer of someone aiming at you with a rifle and be safe.

Show me a Mosin Nagant that can still reliably hit someone at 800 meters from someone untrained in long distance marksmanship WITHOUT match grade ammo.

Seriously, unless that Nagant has had so much work it's basically a new rifle, you're going to be lucky to hit anything, especially with surplus ammo.

Show me a Mosin Nagant that can still reliably hit someone at 800 meters from someone untrained in long distance marksmanship WITHOUT match grade ammo.

You would be surprised at how many well kept Mosin nagants that are out there. The club record where i live, from a Mosin is 1.100 M, shot by an old hunter, who actually uses the gun for hunting.

But i am not talking about some untrained. I was talking about a rifle hunter, something you are as likely to be, as not, in a place like Byerazino.

Seriously, unless that Nagant has had so much work it's basically a new rifle, you're going to be lucky to hit anything, especially with surplus ammo.

Bro, don't even. The market is relatively "flooded" with functioning Mosins. If some of them are remade or refitted, is a moot point, the same would stand for the mosins we find in Byerazino..

Finding a mosin able to fire reliably at 800m is not that far fetched. And if you look on youtube you will find several vids of shots at or beyond that range

Edited by Firstbornchicken

You would be surprised at how many well kept Mosin nagants that are out there. The club record where i live, from a Mosin is 1.100 M, shot by an old hunter, who actually uses the gun for hunting.

But i am not talking about some untrained. I was talking about a rifle hunter, something you are as likely to be, as not, in a place like Byerazino.

Bro, don't even. The market is relatively "flooded" with functioning Mosins. If some of them are remade or refitted, is a moot point, the same would stand for the mosins we find in Byerazino..

Finding a mosin able to fire reliably at 800m is not that far fetched. And if you look on youtube you will find several vids of shots at or beyond that range

I don't think those targets being hit are actual human beings in a post apocalyptic setting from random people.

I'm also a skeptic about a 1.1 KM Mosin shot, as that's better than what some modern military marksman rifles are effective to.

Also, if he made that shot with a Mosin, that's a controlled environment. Not in the middle of a destroyed country with variable wind, temperature and then humidity... the things that start coming into play to a greater extent when you're not shooting a non anti-material round like a .50 BMG.

I'm also a skeptic about a 1.1 KM Mosin shot, as that's better than what some modern military marksman rifles are effective to.

1 Yards iron sight with Mosin, in conditions realistically achievable in the DayZ environment. 

Sometimes i wonder why people are so insistent on something they are assuming. 

As i hunter, i am very aware of the possibilities of seemingly average people being able to shoot at 700-800 M. I myself have shot at over 1 KM many times, just for fun each year when i zero in for the season. The windy years are the most fun. And most of my friends are able to learn within 5-10 shots..

Accurate shots? Maybe not, but within the frame of a human torso

• Like 1

Are they actually realistically accurate? There are tons of factors in a long distance shot which the game isn't currently taking into account. I don't believe you could so easily shoot that far.

This is why we need ace style ballistics.

With that even 300m shots are quite difficult.

nope, even newly made FALs cant hit shit past 600m, the effective range takes account of area targets, made more for suppression purposes than for accuracy.

The LRS for the mosin is totally unrealistic, the closest thing to a good scope that should be available for it should be the PU scope, given that it receives fixing on the zoom it has.

In the game we have a M24-like scope with togglable zoom and pinpoint accuracy on a rifle that should be pretty useless past 300 meters, given that it isnt found in a store, is usually found in civilian homes.

You know they would flame you right? koser and snipers will always be around and taking away thier weapons is not really going to happen.

You obviously do a different play-style and so do i so i suggest that you simply avoid the CoD cities and the cost.

When this game goes beyond beta i am sure there will be pve servers or moded servers where its mideval and everyone has a sword and bows reach only 50 meters.

Until then, just avoid those areas and go inland and you will find "survival" type people to interact with...

Good luck and keep your head down...

1 Yards iron sight with Mosin, in conditions realistically achievable in the DayZ environment. 

As i hunter, i am very aware of the possibilities of seemingly average people being able to shoot at 700-800 M. I myself have shot at over 1 KM many times, just for fun each year when i zero in for the season. The windy years are the most fun. And most of my friends are able to learn within 5-10 shots..

are you seriously comparing a new custom mosin, with new rifling and match grade ammo with a leftover rifle and ammunition that you find scattered in a poor family's house ingame?

What is the point of that video?

That mosin is not a stock mosin that you find in game.

It has trigger work, glass bedded stock, custom front sight and many other modifications along with it firing new manufacturer factory brown bear ammo not surplus ammo u find in game.

So no a stock mosin will not be getting consistent hits at 1000 yards.

nope, even newly made FALs cant hit shit past 600m, the effective range takes account of area targets, made more for suppression purposes than for accuracy.

The LRS for the mosin is totally unrealistic, the closest thing to a good scope that should be available for it should be the PU scope, given that it receives fixing on the zoom it has.

In the game we have a M24-like scope with togglable zoom and pinpoint accuracy on a rifle that should be pretty useless past 300 meters, given that it isnt found in a store, is usually found in civilian homes.

Comparing a gas operation FN fal with a bolt action Mosin-Nagant? 

Why even try?

Why even try?

Here is a hint that fn fal is far more accurate than a bone stock surplus mosin Nagant. Being bolt action doesn't mean shit. If that were true you telling me a Arisaka is more accurate than a m110?

For the love of god people here go out and shoot a surplus mosin.

They are not accurate rifles frankly they are pieces of shit Imo.

But that's only because I grew up shooting remington 700s and now savage rifles.

A stock mosin will not I repeat will not consistently hit steel at even 500m unless you spend quite abit of money on it customizing it. At that point its not worth it since you can achieve sub moa accuracy with a bone stock factory remington 700 or savage rifle.

bye DayZ is deathmatch no matter how much content is in it...why the fuck would you want a game that has no deathmatch, sniping, pvp appeal...may as well go make an arma 3 mod that has unicorns and airsoft.

Why even try?

you dont know much about firearms, do you?

the effective range of a FAL is basically the same as the mosin.

Edited by lipemr

@OP

1165880d88ac156014bc34d0d23.gif

Never seen a sniper...

Well that's the whole idea of sniping. 
Sniping is an art, combining patience, invisibility, and precision
Edited by General Zod

you dont know much about firearms, do you?

the effective range of a FAL is basically the same as the mosin.

Sorry but all sources i can find says different.

A pristine Mosin is said to have an effective range of up to 800 M. A fal 600.  Which falls well in line with the benefits that comes with bolt action.

A bolt action will generally shoot more accurate than a gas operation using the same round. 

Sorry but all sources i can find says different.

A pristine Mosin is said to have an effective range of up to 800 M. A fal 600. Which falls well in line with the benefits that comes with bolt action.

A bolt action will generally shoot more accurate than a gas operation using the same round.

No such thing as a pristine mosin. Go to your local gun shop and look at the mosins they have. Those mosins are hunks of junk with pitted barrels cracked crowns, warped stocks that create pressure points on the barrel. If you do happen to find a great condition mosin then guess what that new production ar15 or AK is still far more accurate than the mosin.

As the new guy ill be the first to point back to the ALPHA arguement but here seems to fit, Once theres more zombies firing a loud shot will be a considered action, Ithink most guys KOS either because they genuinely enjoy being a @ss or there simply bored and trying to have fun, sadly as it stands that fun comes at the expense of others but at the minute thats the name of game

No such thing as a pristine mosin. Go to your local gun shop and look at the mosins they have. Those mosins are hunks of junk with pitted barrels cracked crowns, warped stocks that create pressure points on the barrel. If you do happen to find a great condition mosin then guess what that new production ar15 or AK is still far more accurate than the mosin.

I would just assume that a Mosin looted on a military base would be in better condition than the low price range surplus rifles bought in american gun shops.

Mosins were in active use until the 90's, i don't think it entirely fair to compare the quality of the rifles the military has, and the surplus mosins from the world war era.

Fun fact. Mosins were produced into the 60s.

I like how we are arguing about whether a Mosin would make a 1000 yard shot, when people are complaining about 100+ yard shots. A lot of people want melee only as the general trend. In short, they want to continue to run around oblivious to their surroundings and survive.

@OP

1165880d88ac156014bc34d0d23.gif

Well that's the whole idea of sniping.

Sniping is an art, combining patience, invisibility, and precision

I would agree with that if sniping were difficult but it is not. Add ace style sniping and even 300m shots will be hard and less people will even attempt to snipe.