Sign in to follow this  
chekovp

Voice Chat. Which? Why?

Im just wondering what people use to communicate with their friends while playing DayZ together and why you chose to use it.

Personally, my friends and I use Steam Voice chat for this, but it seems like most others use TS3, Vent or Skype.

I like using Steam because it is already running and is accessible without having to alt-tab.

I use TS3 when i have to run with some others. You don't need to Alt-Tab to talk but to change channels you do. Most of the time I just use direct chat in game.

My friends and I used ventrllo for the last 15 years of gaming, however switched to skype this year and to be honest I dont know why.  Skype blows, uses more memory and is by far more glitchy than any others.  I also used TS when I played EQ and was very similar to vent.

I use Skype or TS (Skype mostly). I always have it running, and there is no delay with Skype, so imo it is the best for a game like this where you need that split second communication.

Hello there

If playing DAYZ or Arma then i use the ingame voip as much as possible.

Same with any other games with a built in voice comms.

If the game doent have comms built in then i mainly use TS.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

My friends and I are using Mumble right now, seems to have almost no delay, which is nice. With vent, my wife would talk right next to me and it would be a few seconds before it caught up in my headset.

Someone just posted the same thread an hour ago.. just look a few threads below..no need to make a new one my friend...

oh nvm..

Edited by BlissAndPanic

I like using the in-game chat because that is a key part of gameplay in my opinion.

I have used Teamspeak in the past but I don't like using 3rd  party programs.

Hopefully in the future they will make more of an effort to make walkie talkies more readily available ; if just to enhance gameplay. I'm sure this will come when they fix the loot spawning (hopefully).

My friends and I used ventrllo for the last 15 years of gaming, however switched to skype this year and to be honest I dont know why.  Skype blows, uses more memory and is by far more glitchy than any others.  I also used TS when I played EQ and was very similar to vent.

Ventrilo is the way to go.  I have only experienced lag once, and that is because the other person had a very bad internet connection.

Also, I am sure all the vets know this - but for the n00bz, in game voice chat not only can/will aggro zombies - it gives your position away to other players.  The only time I use in game VOIP is to tell a player to put their weapon down/holster it or to trade with someone that is not part of the group I am with.

As always, if a person is not communicating with you they are up to something. 

When I run with my friends we use my TS3 server. Other solutions we tried in the past had too much delay or, in the case of Steam voice chat, was simply not reliable due to the servers knocking you off all the time. Mumble simply didn't like my hardware for some reason.

Another benefit to TS3 is that you can use Overwolf to overlay channel info and controls in-game.

Ive used TS3, steamchat and Skype. I can say I like Skype by far the best as it is easy to use, user friendly and as someone else pointed out I always have it on....

Thank you for the replies and the info, much appreciated. 

Ventrilo is the way to go.  I have only experienced lag once, and that is because the other person had a very bad internet connection.

You are lucky, we switched away because of terrible and constant lag. My wife was talking to us on ventrilo at one point in the other room and while she was still coming through my headset I see her standing nearby, completely away from her headset and not saying a word. Her voice still coming through ventrilo in my headset.

On the flip side, they do have amazing buffering logic. It didn't lose a single word and held a good two minutes of audio across a five minute delay.