Sign in to follow this  
Esolu

The impact of finding a body.

How does it affect you? My story is rather lengthy, but if you have one, I would love to hear it.

I ran into a new player who had just installed the game. He was definitely 'uninitiated', and I wanted to give him a good first impression.

We ran through Kamy, and I told him we'll skip Elektro altogether. I told him why. It was a full server, so we heard the chaos. I told him to go there, after I showed him the ropes, if he truly wants a taste of how the seagulls fight for garbage on the coast. I told him there is more than that. I told him to be like Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I was teaching him to fly.

We headed to Pusta. We looted. We headed to Prig from there through the wooded trail. We looted. We headed to Cherno, where it was untouched and extremely juicy. We looted everything. I taught him about medical supplies as we ran through the offices and hospitals. We hit the new police station. I taught him about guns. We hit the restaurant. I taught him about food. The fire station. I taught him about fashion. The gas station on the way to Balota. I taught him about maps, landmarks, compasses and bearings.

He was like Neo in the Matrix when he's learning 'kung fu' and shit. A machine. The more I showed, the more he asked. Genuinely silly questions too, so I truly knew he was a freshie.

As we approached Balota, I started to really get into the dangers of this game. We touched on the subject in Elektro and Cherno, but I felt like I was shielding him. I felt like he needed to know. I told him of the server hoppers, loot whores, Tiny Tim's and blood bandits. I told him of the disinfectant deaths, and food poisonings. His tone changed. With all the great depth I had been teaching him about every other aspect, I think he realized how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

We came to the first military jail building. I wished him luck, and that he could add me on Steam if things get bad. As we entered, the first thing we saw was blood raining through the ceiling.

"What's that?!" he said frantically.

"Someone was killed upstairs.", I say, "Wait here and close that door."

I clear out the back room downstairs. Then I slowly made my way upstairs to a jarring sight. At the back corner was a cuffed and stripped player who had been executed with a few shots to his head. It was a truly grisly find, and I had to break the news to the Bambi downstairs. It was true shock, and I stood there for silent and still for a few seconds.

"Everything OK bud?" he asked, snapping me back to reality.

"Yea, man, it's clear.", I said, playing it cool. I had to show some gall for the freshie, even though I was feeling somewhat off. It was an odd feeling.

He came up and was shocked as I was.

"Whoa!" he said, truly taken aback.

"This is the shit I'm talking about, and if you just follow everything I've taught you these past hours, then you'll reduce the chance of this happening to you. But don't think it won't happen, and don't combat log to avoid it. Just take your death like a man and never get attached to your gear.", I replied sternly.

He stood there, not moving, looking at the body.

"This shit is fucked." he said. At which point his character sat down and logged out.

I just sat there for a few minutes with the executed man. Flabbergasted by the whole ordeal. A true testament, that even after a 1000 hours in the mod and SA combined, this game can still shake even the most seasoned vet.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Esolu
  • Like 18

Interesting story , oh and :

if he truly wants a taste of how the seagulls fight for garbage on the coast.

Has to be the best description of Elektro I've seen

• Like 3

Great read,

All the good people have died, that's why it's so easy to kill these dayz

please remember to post a TLDR recap at the end people!

Would have been better if, in your final lesson, you put a bullet in his head to teach him to never, EVER trust anyone.

• Like 2

Great story and you're so nice to help the newb out.  I have yet to run across anything gruesome.  I know I will eventually and I'm scared for when I do.  ><

My story, 

One morning, I met up with an old friend that has been surviving DayZ for a long time.  He comes over to my low pop server and we decide to meet just south of Berizino, at the construction site.  We meet, and say hello! We enter the site and start looting and talking.  I went up the building, then on my way down the stairs, I make a left, right off the 2nd floor, to my death!  Luckily, my friend was actually a real friend and saved my stuffs AND lucky I spawned on the beach just east of where I died!! So the first dead body I saw, was me.  It felt strange seeing it/me dead for the first time. I didn't know my body would still be there. This game... :huh: I feel like I'm just at the tip of the iceberg.

TLDR: The first dead body I saw, was me :(

LCXdcqcl.jpg

• Like 1

mine is simple I think wheres the hostile first he may have been shot then if I see no hostile or don't think he's been shot I loot him hide the body and move on.

• Like 1

Good read, he might have a chance that one thanks to you :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

• Like 1

Good read, he might have a chance that one thanks to you :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

Except.... He logged in a jail... Missed a lesson...

• Like 3

Would have been better if, in your final lesson, you put a bullet in his head to teach him to never, EVER trust anyone.

Interesting. I reluctantly agree, as I never mentioned that to him.

Except.... He logged in a jail... Missed a lesson...

I don't hold it against him. I think being ritually hazed through rotten fruit and disinfectant would have been an easier lesson. Now he's going to log on in that same spot knowing what can happen. Paranoid. I'm sure it has already ran through his mind...

Edited by Esolu

Interesting. I reluctantly agree, as I never mentioned that to him.

I don't hold it against him. I think being ritually hazed through rotten fruit and disinfectant would have been an easier lesson. Now he's going to log on in that same spot knowing what can happen. Paranoid. I'm sure it has already ran through his mind...

If he ever logs in again LOL

• Like 1

There are many lessons to be taught about the world of Day Z. None greater, than the 2 golden rules.

2. NEVER get attached to your gear.

1. NEVER trust anyone, but your friends.

• Like 1