Sign in to follow this  
PhillyT

Okay, my turn to complain about stable branch updates.

I know there have been plenty of complaint threads, but I get mine.

I love this game.  But it has been almost a week since i had any desire to load it up.

And now with Titanfall and Elder Scrolls Online on the horizon, I can't imagine I will be playing it anytime soon.

The vast majority of my friends who play Dayz have shifted to Titanfall, meaning that the only real reason to play, having fun with my buddies, has come to an abrupt end.  I have preordered ESO, and will be buried in that for a long time to come.

So while the experimental servers get update after update, they really have ignored those players on the stable branch.  I am not one to imply they aren't working, they are.  But if they want Dayz to actually succeed, they need content to come at a decent pace.  Not huge shifts, just enough to give people something to do and enjoy.

There is a very real danger here.  If you lose those who try the game, or fail to keep people's attention after they have started the game, it can simply fail.  New products are arriving every week, and without a reason to play, people will end up never returning to Dayz with the excitement a game like that needs.

I want to come back.  But with over 200 hours and my friends moving on, I am left with no real reason to.

End of rant.  Beat me up all you want.  I am not saying the game isn't great, I am saying that an opportunity is being squandered.

• Like 8

I think you need to be a little more realistic about the differences between stable and experimental. You are seriously trying to tell me there's make-or-break additions in there?

Its alot of testing right now more than actually playing til they get more in.. You get gear, try out some things and see how they work, report in problems and such. In the end, you go looking to get yourself killed.. Even things currently on "stable" might not be there come times its out of alpha and into beta.

I dont think anyone should be looking at DayZ as something they should be putting alot of time into as of yet besides testing. So really its fine your friend are playing other games, you as well..

Edited by cels
  • Like 2

umm you know there is a magic thing that most people that post complaint threads forget is that you can do a magic thing called this 14w3yph.png

I know what you mean, but I'm fortunate (in a funny kind of way) that I can't get online to play very often at the mo! So I still have the same desire when I do actually find the time. But if I could be on every evening I know I would probably be saying the same thing. 

Also, same as you're saying, nearly all my friends have started back/started new with other games as well.

But not many other games appeal to me, so I'm still happy, so far !

:beans:

So while the experimental servers get update after update, they really have ignored those players on the stable branch.

If you knew how messed up the current build on experimental is, you really would not be complaining about this. Why don't you hop on experimental for yourself and tell us how badly you want it pushing to stable?

Oh Philly

It's true it may take awhile to ship to stable, but they want the build to be...stable before they send it. You know that.

But seriously, if you want to take a break then do so. I totally get being burned out on a game. 200 hours of game time is a lot. Take a break for a little while and when you come back you can experience all the new things with a fresh start.

• Like 2

200+ hours? Seems you got your money's worth. Probably time for a break anyway. I'm getting there myself - give them time as we want a highly polished product and not rushed through development. I'm a fan of their vision, the current game is a 7/10 for me - but that's saying A LOT!

Hey, let me say, I have gotten every single cent out of this game.  I adore it.  This is not some kind of whine fest.  It is more of a realization that as I sit here, on a snow day (6th grade teacher in Maine with almost 18" of snow on the ground) I have no desire to go in the other room and play Dayz.  That bothered me a little and made me want to share a little because I am sure plenty of other people feel somewhat similar.

I am not so much referring to my own experience as what I am observing with my friends.  They are moving away and in many cases, don't for see a reason to ever really return.  I am concerned that by not offering even a carrot in the form of an update now and then, they risk ruining the potential long term success of this game.

I don't want to play experimental.  Not enough servers.  But there have been patches with over a month of testing that could get kicked down the line.  Heck, add some guns every so often, it isn't like they result in strange glitches or bugs.

A new gun or two alone can lead to another two weeks or so of play.  The developers need to be aware that ignoring the extreme majority of their buyers can lead to apathy, which is difficult to overcome or erase.

I don't want to play experimental.  Not enough servers.  But there have been patches with over a month of testing that could get kicked down the line.  Heck, add some guns every so often, it isn't like they result in strange glitches or bugs.

That's fine, but trust me, if they pushed the current patch to stable today you'd want to play even less. After half an hour of the items disappearing out of your inventory or taking a whole minute to switch items while three zombies spawn right in front of you over and over again you would be right back here and even more frustrated.

The reason experimental gets more updates is because they're not finished.

I know where you are coming from and don't consider you a 'whiner'. Those we lose along the way will make it back over when real significant changes are implemented - or they were likely done anyway. Right now there isn't much to do once geared - persistent objects, base building, hunting, more Zeds, etc are the really needed items to keep the people logged in IMO. It will come (at least that's my hope)

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on ESO though. I played several beta weekendds and imho it sucks...

Too bad - was kind of looking forward to that one...

I am on a break myself but not because they are not fast enough or whatever other stupid reasons people come up with, only because I have played the game so much that I got a little bored (264 odd hours).

What is this opportunity you are talking about? They already made the monies, they already got the opportunity and unlike many other developers they are actually sticking to their word and getting things done, there is no lost opportunity, just that you played the game too much and now are bored with it which is natural, especially with a game that is still in development.

You are saying this is not a whine fest, yet your first sentence on the OP: "I know there have been plenty of complaint threads, but I get mine."

:huh: 

I wouldn't count on ESO though. I played several beta weekendds and imho it sucks...

I played in the first beta invite and have ignored every other invite since.  Generic run of the mill MMORPG.  Nothing ground breaking at all

• Like 2

lol "a very real danger"

i dont know what tital fall or ESO is. but im sure I wont play them. South park on the other hand got my beans and playtime. Still havent ventured from SA or Overwatch though..

if all you did in DayZ is play with your friends, your missing alot of what the game offers.

Too bad - was kind of looking forward to that one...

I have played several beta weekends too.  IF you like Elder Scrolls, you will love the game.  It has more than enough content for you to bury 400 + hours in it without much trouble.  

I am an Elder Scrolls fiend.  I have 500 + hours in Morrowind, 1000 in Skyrim, etc.  I have been playing since 1994 with Arena.  Heck, I even played Redguard and Battlespire!  ESO won't be as good as those games, but it feels like an Elder Scrolls game and I really enjoyed the betas.  So I can't wait for the full version (the weekend betas are three generations behind the actual betas by the way  I have a friend on the actual beta).

ugh... elder scrolls online sounds worse than this game immediately after release 

any game will burn you out if you play it exclusively for that long, its a tired argument but you bought into this, no opportunity is being squandered. It just is how it is. Just bitch to your friends like I do, dont bother with making these posts

I've had the same issue I've gotten a few of my friends to get the game I assumed they would love it as much as I do but sadly they didn't see the magic. I think most cats will move on when the next title comes out especially if its a big name. dayz it seems if for a certain breed of individual not sayin we are special just saying that this game isn't for everyone. me personally I've wanted the update boy have I so bored with .35 I could scream but then I login and get with some friends and its all good I forget about updates and just have fun. but I do see what you are sayin if I was lonewolfing then I might end up quitting because then its all about gear and the map at least to me. but when you got friends its a whole different ballgame.

since you have the dude as you pic I'm inclined to believe you. do you abide. lol

props to phillyT for keeping it real

the problem is, without weekly updates just to check on things or being a part of a super-active clan...

dayZ in it's current alpha state is boring as hell. once you are even 100+ hours in (im almost @ 200 hours played - SOLO) it becomes mind-numbing

• Like 1

The only difference with ESO and DayZ is no one is giving you missions to collect 10 m4s, 5 Mosins and 3 Long Range Scopes.  We're just doing it :p

• Like 1

if eso was a onetime payment like gw2 instead of a sub-fee monthly i still wouldn't play that garbage

• Like 1

And I am now in love again.

People should thank me really. Only after complaining did they release the update.

You're welcome.