Sign in to follow this  
7-75 callaghan

A 'scent'/smell mechanic. (with update foresight)

Edit - Need some feedback guys!

Add a 'scent' mechanic - Zombies can detect a player who has not washed in a long time, will not be aggroed, but will slowly walk towards the source as per with audio - players can wash in any water source. Perhaps add a wet-wipe item to allow this to be done in any location. Wildlife, depending on the animal type, will also run away from players that they can smell.

Movement, especially running/sprinting, as with the hunger mechanic, would increase the speed of 'smelliness', but would be a much, much slower process overall. Being in proximity to a lit campfire would also increase smell value.

This would be, in my opinion, an excellent mechanic in combination with the planned 'Dog' addition proposed for a future update.

A 'box of cigarettes' item, that has a similar function to the calming drug item I mentioned in another suggestion thread, and temporarily reducing pain/shaking effect of blood loss by a limited extent, but with the effect of increasing the suggested 'scent' value. This would, ofc, be a tool slot item used in combination with the box of matches. Perhaps bleeding could increase scent, and washing would have to occur to clear blood (dried) from player even after using bandages.

This could have a HUD icon. Perhaps three curved vertical lines/a nose.

Thoughts/feedback?

My only problem with this is that I wouldn't really feel immersed in the game with a scent meter. There is a sound meter, and i can hear. There is a sight meter, and i can see. If there was a smell meter, i couldn't smell it. I feel it would just be another annoyance that i would have to keep track of.

I know there is temperature, but i feel like that is something totally different that doesn't affect anything else but myself. If my temperature was detected by zombies or something, then i would probably feel the same way about that system.

interesting idea but i see a problem...since these zombies aren't the risen from the dead decaying flesh type wouldn't cleaning make you stand out even more since you would smell less like an unshowered zombo?

interesting idea but i see a problem...since these zombies aren't the risen from the dead decaying flesh type wouldn't cleaning make you stand out even more since you would smell less like an unshowered zombo?

The point you are making isn't the problem, its the system. Zeds smell aweful, and they are used to it. But if they smell something different than their smell, they would recognize it. The problem with the system is that there would then be no point in getting smellier and smellier.

My only problem with this is that I wouldn't really feel immersed in the game with a scent meter. There is a sound meter' date=' and i can hear. There is a sight meter, and i can see. If there was a smell meter, i couldn't smell it. I feel it would just be another annoyance that i would have to keep track of.

I know there is temperature, but i feel like that is something totally different that doesn't affect anything else but myself. If my temperature was detected by zombies or something, then i would probably feel the same way about that system.

[/quote']

You mean you can't smell yourself when you haven't had time to shower after physical exercise? I know I can!

I like the concept, seeing the zombies are meant to have an enhanced sense of smell. possibly tie it to the wind direction as well (gotta be up wind of the zombies, etc)

I agree with gman too, the addition of smell is just another thing I have to worry about (coming from the point of view of someone like me who is quite new to the game and who had a hard enough time telling blood from water on the hud)

I had a similar idea so I have to second this one.

As for how it effects the hud, you could use the fly/mosquito sounds as an indicator, increasing in proximity. I briefly considered perhaps a visible cloud around the person, but that seems a bit corny in a sim.

For the most part it should really only effect how one deals with zombies.

Also a side benefit would be when you need time to wash, you need someone watching your back, and everything that encourages team play and coop is needed in this game.

Although it would be so worth it to blow a pk'er's head off while they were bathing.

i think zeds should smell you if you will bleeding ;)

I love this idea and think it could be a great mechanic... Like in the 1st season, second episode of Walking Dead, they had rub themselves down with a nasty scent (from a corpse) to be able to walk around the zombies in close proximity. I think that bad odor should have its positives and negatives. The more odor you get, the closer to zombies you can get- you smell like them. But, this odor can wash off in the rain, lakes etc.

If you are filthy and nasty and get scratched in a zombie fight... you need to take a bath and clean up to reduce the risk of infection and enable your ability to heal. Then by taking a bath, the zombies can now smell the "soap" or antibacterial etc. making you more noticeable. I like the idea of them walking slowly to you and the closer they get the more aggressive, faster and ravenous they become.

Also, while "underground" - if that even happens, you need to be clean to cook food or be around food supplies to reduce possible infection