Sign in to follow this  
97ADU Doug

Players need an Incentive to value their life above gear

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, skill tree.

I know it's not a popular opinion and I totally understand the arguments against such a thing, I do believe it would add depth to the game and a greater desire to maintain the health of the character.

This system will only add punishment to the ones getting killed. It will not keep anybody from shooting you on sight.

If it actually makes players to more care about their characters life, they will then more likely to avoid contact to other players...even more...

In short: It won't do any good but piss you off even more when killed.

If people value their life more they are not going to be doing stupid shit as much as of now. I think the "piss off" mechanic would make this game go more towards it's goal which is survival and not ks fps.

To be honest though It wouldn't erase the ks problem. There's still trolls,cod kids and QQers.

I know it's not a popular opinion and I totally understand the arguments against such a thing, I do believe it would add depth to the game and a greater desire to maintain the health of the character.

Totally agree .... http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175851-add-skills-to-the-game/

One idea I saw was a person suggesting; your character would be growing a beard over time. No one would want to loose their epic beard I quess, no idea what would happen with a female char though. Smoother/longer hair?

I'd love to see all those female characters run around with beards!

I don't think a skill tree is the way to go as it breaks the immersion.

The more you do specific tasks the better you get in those tasks. That's how it should be imo.

You should never be able to choose a point that raises your stamina. You should work for it by running a lot. 

Edited by DannyRed

It`s the best KS FPS GAME! :D

If people stop to value their life in game, its no point in KoS then. The only reason to KoS is to ruin someones day - Atleast its what I am thinking.

I don't think a skill tree is the way to go as it breaks the immersion.

The more you do specific tasks the better you get in those tasks. That's how it should be imo.

That is a skill tree you've just described. ;)

You should never be able to choose a point that raises your stamina. You should work for it by running a lot.

I think there are a few key things that shouldn't be affected by a skill tree, and of those I feel maybe stamina and firing accuracy should be excluded. You don't want the situation where a bambi spawning is not able to run as fast or shoot a gun as well as an experienced player as that would give too much of an imbalance in terms of gameplay. IMO anyway.

What should be included are certain tasks, like learning how to start fires, do certain medical tasks, ability to operate certain vehicles, etc.

Rocket said he liked the idea of character stats gradually increasing (i.e. more running = you can run for longer, repeated bayonet use to open a can eventually yields better percentages left over) so we can see that coming in eventually. The problem is that newspawns are still going to be reckless due to them not having gear or increased stats.

I would also like to see a timer when you die. One hour before you can join in again, or if the server restarts within that hour. Your body will be long gone, your hopes of telling your friends where the guy who shot you was are now gone.

Is this working already?

I have been playing with a couple of people (they are new in the game), we have the same boots (Combat Boots), one had Pristine and I had Worn, and I always end up running way to faster than them and they stay behind the road... We both run with W/W and straight line so no idea why is this happening... Sorry for my english

Is this working already?

I have been playing with a couple of people (they are new in the game), we have the same boots (Combat Boots), one had Pristine and I had Worn, and I always end up running way to faster than them and they stay behind the road... We both run with W/W and straight line so no idea why is this happening... Sorry for my english

This is probably because of the weight of the character, if you run with a lot of gear, you're obviously going to be slower than a person who is completely naked.

This is probably because of the weight of the character, if you run with a lot of gear, you're obviously going to be slower than a person who is completely naked.

nope, actually the less FPS you get, the slower you run.

We had the same issue on arma 2, i play at 20~30 fps and i always stay behind my friend that plays at 60, even when i'm turbo running and he's just WW'ing.

Edited by lipemr

If people value their life more they are not going to be doing stupid shit as much as of now. I think the "piss off" mechanic would make this game go more towards it's goal which is survival and not ks fps.

Yeah. Said that. Players would get more shy overall...which is rather stupid for a game relying on player interactions to be any fun at all.

No. Just no. You never HAVE to suicide before you can "start to play". Just spawn and start playing no mattern where you are...I ahve never suicided a char and still made it work. Just don't stick always to the same route...if you spawn somewhere, make the best out of it, instead of suiciding or running to the spawn point where you hoped you would spawn...

I suicide as a fresh spawn because I'm a lazy jerk, sometimes. I understand it's playing in a way that is meta gaming.

But right now I just play for player interaction, good or bad. Hell, last night I shot someone in Balota. Guy sounded sorta sad and I had only typed to him I was going to bandage him so he didn't die.

After a few minutes, I actually felt bad for him, as he didn't attack me first. So I ran back in, epi penned him and used VOIP to say I was someone different (he didn't know what I looked like when I shot him, I had changed clothes).

Surprisingly he thanked me and didn't blow my head off. Made me feel even more guilty, but if I had said "I'm actually the dude who shot you and had a change of heart and saved you". He might have killed me (I did ruin a lot of his stuff :/ ) or just gotten really confused and thought I was trying to mind f--k him.

Maybe I'm just a trigger happy softy inside.

I like the way you play, and I'm very similar to you when it comes to my character, although I have died numerous times, and still haven't killed anyone or even shot at anyone. The fact that you kept one character and never been killed just amazes me.

Whether you will be able to keep this character going for a long time, I highly doubt it. However when you get killed first time it will make a lot of difference on how you got killed. If you get to exchange a few shots you won't mind so much, however when you get killed by "camping" players you will be very upset. You have spent so many hours with this character, played this game for what it is, a survival game, only to be killed by some coward, or even worse a cheat

I feel I should mention that a contributing factor to why I have survived for so long is that I don't run through Electro or Cherno or similar places, for me there is no need. The amount of posts I read of people dying from bandits, cheaters or glitches in these areas especially is always high. That's nothing new of course, it stems back to the mods first appearance too, remember that text that would never go away in side chat? "Who's shooting in Cherno/Electro?" I do skim the outskirts of those areas sometimes and enjoy the added risk without advertising my position and attracting death. I really can appreciate other players laughing at me thinking how boring my gameplay would be to them and running through Electro causing havoc is way more fun. The players that do that add to my gameplay immensely too, those "maniacs" letting loose in big cities or anywhere are a major threat and I need to be extra vigilant to avoid them or be captured by them, it adds excitement. If I get caught or shot through normal gameplay, it's my fault. If I die through a game glitch or by the hand of a hacker that's Alpha and bad luck.

I hope I can survive many more weeks with this first character and enjoy the rush of trying to stay alive. I'm yet to have a full on encounter with anyone and that's ok, when I do end up face to face with a fellow survivor at some point it will be a heart stopping moment. I'm certainly not what you would call friendly, I trust no one but I'm no bandit either, I feel no urge to kill someone just because I can.

A couple of probably retarded ideas:

>>   Give 'facial stubble'  depending on how long their character has been alive (ingame) .    Or a better idea of a visible indicator of a fresh spawn / old character.

...Adds a reason for bandits to hide their faces...  Adds incentive for real 'friendly'  players to not.

>>  [this is lifted directly from mount and blade]

Give carrying certain books minor 'stat bonus' to characters such as a slight benefit to camping/medical/mechanical/explosive  actions.... 

That increase over ingame time...

This  also increases/adds  the value of 'knowledge' ingame and books... And trade of these items... It also means you can 'learn'  the stuff from the book and then destroy it meaning you [your toon]  are more valuable than the item...

The problem is, these ideas steer the game more towards an RPG direction than a FPS and put the weight more on your character than the transferable skills your learn from actually playing the game, which is probably a terrible idea....

...Especially considering none of these things worked in 'Ultima Online' to stop murdering/PKing.. some people just like to fuck others over :)