Sign in to follow this  
Twixxer

The reason behind the lag in ArmA2/DayZ

It's because of the insane detail and polygon count even on the simplest objects! Such as screws for roadsigns that are completely unnecessary, a simple texture would be enough.

Here are some screenshots for example (pictures taken in ArmA 2)

ArmA2OA2014-03-1012-52-44-46_zps5fec5c8f

ArmA2OA2014-03-1012-52-02-09_zpse4b095b7

Now you may think it's not much, just a few more polygons on a streetsign or a pole. But what happens when you count all those objects on the map together? 

• Like 1

Net lag is caused by the system itself balancing ALL connection agents.

low FPS is caused by visuals. Lag is not low FPS.

Net lag is caused by the system itself balancing ALL connection agents.

low FPS is caused by visuals. Lag is not low FPS.

People tend to call low FPS as ''Lag'' aswell. Thats not the point here.

People tend to call low FPS as ''Lag'' aswell. Thats not the point here.

Just because people tend to name it lag doesn't make it correct. If you want to make a point you should have at least the terminology right. Lag has to do with network connection and speed, low FPS has to do with either inadequate hardware or settings too high or another hardware/driver related problem.

Just because people tend to name it lag doesn't make it correct. If you want to make a point you should have at least the terminology right. Lag has to do with network connection and speed, low FPS has to do with either inadequate hardware or settings too high or another hardware/driver related problem.

Oh come on. Who the hell cares. As if I was gonna go look up on google wether or not low fps is also called lag sometimes before posting this thread. I'm a 3D modeler and junior game developer myself and I know what lag and low FPS is. This is not what the thread is about.

If you want to address a problem it is helpful to use the correct terminology, else people would mean something completely different than you do and never find a solution. As a 3D modeller and game developer you should know that. It's like you want to say that the texture needs more details but you keep saying "the model needs more details".

As if I was gonna go look up on google wether or not low fps is also called lag sometimes before posting this thread.
I'm a 3D modeler and junior game developer myself and I know what lag and low FPS is.

So you say as a 3D modeler and junior game developer you need google to know what lag or low FPS means? Well, if i had a game developing studio, i wouldn't hire you.

Oh come on. Who the hell cares. 

Presumably you, you are the one who "should" care as you have started a thread about it.

Sometimes it's quite handy to know what you are actually talking about when you are talking about it, just a suggestion.

As for the actual issue, I imagine the FPS problem will be resolved over time. There is still content constantly coming into the game and I imagine they will add it with the best resolution possible, as time goes by the devs will likely optimise the graphical content. In terms of the lag, that will be looked at now as it clearly impacts on the way the server interacts with clients as well as other core elements such as loot and zombie management and player slots.

I think the pedantry comes from the distinction that the frames and polygons are not rendered on the server, and the polygons are not passed as netcode.

Lag and desync are caused by bad netcode and the information passed between machines over the interpipes.

I don't think people are trying to be pedantic, just seeing this as a complaint that something needs to be changed about the game to help with a problem that the presented solution will not address.

Polygons are rendered on your local machine. The main performance issues that people seem to dislike about the game involve the communication between the hive/server and local machine...

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Is it necessary to create all those polygons to render bolts and stuff? Maybe not. I have a feeling that the 'dev team' at Bohemia is still more of a ramped up mod team. All of the work they seem to be doing is not engine level from where I sit... Or else they are making real, fundamental changes, the important stuff, and not releasing it. I would think that if they really had engine access, they would be working on performance and things like zombie count and desync a ton more and adding more cosmetic items like new guns after that stuff had settled down.

Right now, it seems like they're adjusting the temperature of the water when the bathtub is a wicker basket. There must be a reason for that.

It's the bad scripting and bad client computers that kill performace. Imagine me in my stang wanting to drive 250km/h on the autobahn but it's full of people with 40ps micro cars driving 90km/h. That's how you slow down a fast system.

If you want to address a problem it is helpful to use the correct terminology, else people would mean something completely different than you do and never find a solution. As a 3D modeller and game developer you should know that. It's like you want to say that the texture needs more details but you keep saying "the model needs more details".

So you say as a 3D modeler and junior game developer you need google to know what lag or low FPS means? Well, if i had a game developing studio, i wouldn't hire you.

What I meant is that I wasn't going to google wether or not people tend to use ''lag'' as in ''low fps'' aswell, because I know atleast 20 people who use it that way. 

This is not what the thread is about, okay, I made a fucking mistake writing lag instead of low fps, so what? The thread wasn't posted about difference between lag or low fps.

If you're referring to FPS issues you need to realize and should as a game developer that this game is NOT OPTIMIZED! They are currently working on optimizing for Nvidia cards as they got their profiles into the team first. Then radeon will be next.

The game barely uses the GPU and is heavily reliant on CPU specifications. I can see a huge difference at stock clock compared to when I'm OC'd.

Also using the correct terminology regardless of other people would make your post a little more credible, and would back up that you're a junior game designer.

I know a little bit about this, so can comment here..

You're misunderstanding how objects are rendered in arma.

First off, those bolts and such forth are around 10 poly, so this is really nothing bad at all and is pretty standard for low poly gaming assets.

Secondly as Arma maps are so huge, the VR engine makes use of something called LODS, or level of detail. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/LOD

Up close (or in a binocular / scope view such as you have) you get the highest LOD which is 1000. This lod shows details such as small bolts, grips, and other high poly modeling attributes.

7q690.png

If we compare that now to the lowest LOD (5000) you can see all of the details are removed, and the model is composed of simple primitives:

7q6bs.png

As you move further away from the object, the engine renders a LOD with much less detail. So stuff such as bolts will not render. I don't know how the 1000, 2000 is configured. But when I model for arma it feels like beyond 1000 is about 20 yards (I am likely wrong there, but as a guess), so maybe its 1000 feet? I should likely read the wiki

Edited by shinkicker
  • Like 2

...get a better computer?

stop trolling...  The OP has a very good point...

If you're referring to FPS issues you need to realize and should as a game developer that this game is NOT OPTIMIZED! They are currently working on optimizing for Nvidia cards as they got their profiles into the team first. Then radeon will be next.

The game barely uses the GPU and is heavily reliant on CPU specifications. I can see a huge difference at stock clock compared to when I'm OC'd.

Also using the correct terminology regardless of other people would make your post a little more credible, and would back up that you're a junior game designer.

I know it's not optimized. That's exactly what I'm talking about. All the useless faces on all the buildings and misc objects together do have a framerate impact. I know the difference between low fps and lag, I'm just used to saying ''lag'' when talking about low fps and that's why I just automatically wrote it in the threads title.

I know a little bit about this, so can comment here..

You're misunderstanding how objects are rendered in arma.

First off, those bolts and such forth are around 10 poly, so this is really nothing bad at all and is pretty standard for low poly gaming assets.

Secondly as Arma maps are so huge, the VR engine makes use of something called LODS, or level of detail. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/LOD

Up close (or in a binocular / scope view such as you have) you get the highest LOD which is 1000. This lod shows details such as small bolts, grips, and other high poly modeling attributes.

7q690.png

If we compare that now to the lowest LOD (5000) you can see all of the details are removed, and the model is composed of simple primitives:

7q6bs.png

As you move further away from the object, the engine renders a LOD with much less detail. So stuff such as bolts will not render. I don't know how the 1000, 2000 is configured. But when I model for arma it feels like beyond 1000 is about 20 yards (I am likely wrong there, but as a guess), so maybe its 1000 feet? I should likely read the wiki

I know about that. The game dosen't lag so much when you're in a forest for example. But when you step into a city all those useless faces get rendered and make a rather big impact on FPS. If all the objects were optimized and useless faces removed it wouldn't affect FPS so much.

Without insider knowledge it's impossible to determine where "low FPS" are coming from.

Since the graphics are calculated clientside, FPS should be fine on a good (enough) computer. But since even people with "über gaming battlestations" get significantly lower FPS compared to other games, I think there are other factors then graphics involved.