kurtino

Game just feels lonely without side chat.

I can see both sides of this argument to be honest.

How grand it must be to be of such superior moral caliber.

Thank you.

The terrible logic of some of the people on this forum is astonishing.

(Cormac McCarthy, p1n34l, and ZedsDeadBaby, to name a few of the fools)

I think the next thing to add is a option so the player can hide chat in game so they don't have too look at the chat if it's bothering them so much.

i do not feel this is a viable option. if you do this' date=' players will likely only key into blue colored text and potentially ignore anything that doesn't show up blue. essentially anyone who is not in side chat and doesn't want side chat will be at a distinct disadvantage. it's kinda the same argument but from the other side. i think, and this is definitely just my thoughts, that global chat was removed to make us feel more lonely, more isolated. it makes communication rare and precious, something you get extra excited about when it happens, and potentially increases your connection to whoever actually does talk with you.

it's sorta like how before the recent patches, when starting out i would see tin cans and bottles and just curse and move on. now when i see them starting out i get excited and feel like i have more options. removal of initial abilities made what little you have that much more significant.

i might like other compromises though, but i'm (respectfully) not in favor of this one.

[hr']

(Cormac McCarthy' date=' p1n34l, and ZedsDeadBaby, to name a few of the fools)

[/quote']

thank you for calling me a fool and supporting your opinion in a logical, well thought out and respectful manner, i greatly appreciate it. you add much to this discussion.

thank you for calling me a fool and supporting your opinion in a logical' date=' well thought out and respectful manner, i greatly appreciate it. you add much to this discussion.

[/quote']

No problem, Bud.

I'd be down for a world chat if you have a radio... Good idea from the poster above.

Those with a radio should be able to use some form of group chat between one another... especially with a radio sound effect between voices for authenticity. :D

I think the next thing to add is a option so the player can hide chat in game so they don't have too look at the chat if it's bothering them so much.

i do not feel this is a viable option. if you do this' date=' players will likely only key into blue colored text and potentially ignore anything that doesn't show up blue. essentially anyone who is not in side chat and doesn't want side chat will be at a distinct disadvantage. it's kinda the same argument but from the other side. i think, and this is definitely just my thoughts, that global chat was removed to make us feel more lonely, more isolated. it makes communication rare and precious, something you get extra excited about when it happens, and potentially increases your connection to whoever actually does talk with you.

it's sorta like how before the recent patches, when starting out i would see tin cans and bottles and just curse and move on. now when i see them starting out i get excited and feel like i have more options. removal of initial abilities made what little you have that much more significant.

i might like other compromises though, but i'm (respectfully) not in favor of this one.

[hr']

[/quote']

thank you for calling me a fool and supporting your opinion in a logical, well thought out and respectful manner, i greatly appreciate it. you add much to this discussion.

So basically: I hate chat it breaks immersion.

But I wouldn't disable chat, that means I'm at a disadvantage too everyone else?

You can't argue both of them. That's like dragging everyone down with you because you're a selfish person and don't want people too play the game the way you're playing.

You don't like chat? Don't use it. There's no disadvantage too it either unless you wan't too exploit people through meta gaming and that's up to both yourself and the person typing if they want to put themselves in that situation.

I honestly don't think the radio idea would be that wise anyway. That's like telling people they have too work for their radio...for what? What happens when they get a radio anyway? The luck or chances of finding a radio so you can actually talk to someone? Come on, I'd agree if I was playing a Roleplay game where I was forced too Roleplay with others in a small community and we pretended we were living out as survivors through a character but we're not.

There was nothing wrong with the system as it was, you could join a server that had chat enabled or disabled and understandably, the majority of servers had chat enabled...why would a server host disable chat for his community of players and more likely than not upset them? It was the more popular feature I think it is fair too say and there was a simple option Yes/No if you wanted it or not.

If it breaks immersion...(not like a god tonne of other things don't in this game) then turn it off...if you were that bothered by it you wouldn't argue that you were at a disadvantage so you'll have too turn it on just in case you don't want too miss anything.

Ever played a roleplaying game? They use a system called IC and OOC. In character (IC) is local chat in proximity and Out of character (OOC) is global. Almost every RP game I know uses this and its extremely popular because people do want to just relax and talk too each other while they're playing a game, even when they're doing something that requires a lot of immersion such as roleplaying. It is not a unwanted feature although admittedly it can get accessive especially on roleplaying games but this is not a roleplaying game as there are no rules.

P.S. The idea behind it is potentially good but the reality isn't. Sure, if some of the things you were saying happened then yeah, I'd be all for it but at the moment it actually encourages shoot on sight and as this games had more and more changes it has become even more frequent. Those rare chances of communication people are getting are too rare; this is a game and people want too enjoy themselves and too interact with others online.

I think the larger issue will be addressed in the long run when there are more things added to the game that require player communication and coordination.

Come on' date=' I'd agree if I was playing a Roleplay game where I was forced too Roleplay with others in a small community and we pretended we were living out as survivors through a character but we're not.

[/quote']

Oh, you aren't? Well ain't that just a bitch. Maybe you should have a look in the mirror and see what you are doing that is making this so hard for yourself.

You aren't forced to do anything in DayZ, that is the point, we make the game into whatever we please, and if you cant find people to hang out with and form a small community with, then that is your own problem.

Come on' date=' I'd agree if I was playing a Roleplay game where I was forced too Roleplay with others in a small community and we pretended we were living out as survivors through a character but we're not.

[/quote']

Oh, you aren't? Well ain't that just a bitch. Maybe you should have a look in the mirror and see what you are doing that is making this so hard for yourself.

You aren't forced to do anything in DayZ, that is the point, we make the game into whatever we please, and if you cant find people to hang out with and form a small community with, then that is your own problem.

I'm sorry, what?

Enable chat then so I can find a easier and more enjoyable experience of performing this action. I shouldn't be forced too talk too others on skype or add random strangers just too interact with people on this game. You narrow down the features for this game that a small community likes then guess what? You'll be left with a small community. The need of many outweigh ultimately and with little features like this which are pretty standard and harmless, I don't see why anyone would argue against it.

I still don't understand much of your post though, are you implying that you're in a little community of roleplayers and are talking to each other over VOIP or something and insulting people that aren't?

Honestly...I swear all of these changes are just narrowing and narrowing it down towards a smaller community. This is a online game' date=' you know?

[/quote']

You do realize that you are playing what is probably about 10% of the game this will become right? Isn't it bit early to start mourning the death of the community when all of the community building features are still in the concept and planning stage?

Sure are a lot of impatient folks around here who claim to understand the nature of where we are at with this alpha experiment, yet cant seem to stand were we are at with this alpha experiment...

Honestly...I swear all of these changes are just narrowing and narrowing it down towards a smaller community. This is a online game' date=' you know?

[/quote']

You do realize that you are playing what is probably about 10% of the game this will become right? Isn't it bit early to start mourning the death of the community when all of the community building features are still in the concept and planning stage?

Sure are a lot of impatient folks around here who claim to understand the nature of where we are at with this alpha experiment, yet cant seem to stand were we are at with this alpha experiment...

No one's mourning the death of the community I'm just giving my feedback as anyone should so hopefully things like that don't happen but from the replies you get back from the forum or from the game creator himself "deal with it" you have too question where this is going.

Thankfully Bohemia are behind this mod and will defiantly push its support now and at ARMA 3.

I'm not being impatient but a feature has been removed and I'm complaining about it, seems fair enough since I didn't even know about it so I was asking around if it was a bug at first. Apparently it's an 'experiment' so hopefully it'll change.

Apparently it's an 'experiment' so hopefully it'll change.

It's absolutely going to change. If community is what you want to see in the game you should really go read every interview with Rocket that you can get your hands on. I think you'll be very excited to hear some of the ideas he would like to add.

Apparently it's an 'experiment' so hopefully it'll change.

It's absolutely going to change. If community is what you want to see in the game you should really go read every interview with Rocket that you can get your hands on. I think you'll be very excited to hear some of the ideas he would like to add.

No thanks, anyone can pull a Interview and idea's but the way they represent themselves towards their community affects their overall appearance and I'm just not impressed so I won't be following anything but pure updates/patch notes too the game.

[hr']

[/quote']

So basically: I hate chat it breaks immersion.

But I wouldn't disable chat, that means I'm at a disadvantage too everyone else?

You can't argue both of them. That's like dragging everyone down with you because you're a selfish person and don't want people too play the game the way you're playing.

You don't like chat? Don't use it. There's no disadvantage too it either unless you wan't too exploit people through meta gaming and that's up to both yourself and the person typing if they want to put themselves in that situation.

I honestly don't think the radio idea would be that wise anyway. That's like telling people they have too work for their radio...for what? What happens when they get a radio anyway? The luck or chances of finding a radio so you can actually talk to someone? Come on, I'd agree if I was playing a Roleplay game where I was forced too Roleplay with others in a small community and we pretended we were living out as survivors through a character but we're not.

There was nothing wrong with the system as it was, you could join a server that had chat enabled or disabled and understandably, the majority of servers had chat enabled...why would a server host disable chat for his community of players and more likely than not upset them? It was the more popular feature I think it is fair too say and there was a simple option Yes/No if you wanted it or not.

If it breaks immersion...(not like a god tonne of other things don't in this game) then turn it off...if you were that bothered by it you wouldn't argue that you were at a disadvantage so you'll have too turn it on just in case you don't want too miss anything.

Ever played a roleplaying game? They use a system called IC and OOC. In character (IC) is local chat in proximity and Out of character (OOC) is global. Almost every RP game I know uses this and its extremely popular because people do want to just relax and talk too each other while they're playing a game, even when they're doing something that requires a lot of immersion such as roleplaying. It is not a unwanted feature although admittedly it can get accessive especially on roleplaying games but this is not a roleplaying game as there are no rules.

P.S. The idea behind it is potentially good but the reality isn't. Sure, if some of the things you were saying happened then yeah, I'd be all for it but at the moment it actually encourages shoot on sight and as this games had more and more changes it has become even more frequent. Those rare chances of communication people are getting are too rare; this is a game and people want too enjoy themselves and too interact with others online.

no you're completely misinterpreting. it's not that i hate chat and it breaks immersion, it's that i like the experiment of it being local only. it makes you more connected to the person you're talking to and the game world. also if every server has side chat enabled, that will be the only channel utilized for communication. any messages i send in gray coloration could be lost in the spam of side chat for everyone else. so if i only want to deal with direct chat, it'll become useless because chat will be monopolized in side chat and people will only look at blue text and ignore anything that isn't necessarily blue. as for the game part of things, rocket has addressed this. it's not supposed to be like other games, those all fit into a comfortable cookie cutter mold with little innovation or experimentation. it's not a game, it's not for entertainment purposes, please read the following quotes:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=125&pid=6296#pid6296

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=125&pid=6280#pid6280

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=588&pid=7100#pid7100

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=588&pid=4431#pid4431

that is what day z is, regardless of what pigeonholes the players try to impose on it. if you're feeling lonely, frustrated, isolated, all because he took away global chat, he's done his job.

[/quote']

on 5/6, mod was 20%

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1012&pid=9458#pid9458