Sign in to follow this  
Zyphid

Hardcore gasmask

Should a gas mask when in first person not change the view? Same with the bike help and Payday masks.

• Like 10

have any of you played the METRO series? (like s.t.a.l.k.e.r, except with more train stations) - i thought that had a really well implemented gas mask function - when you use it in game, there is a slick animation of putting it on, and it subsequently limits your field of vision (happy to hear this is being implemented) - but also, when you take damage/get in fights the mask can crack/split & get covered in gore - which i think would work really well in the dayz-sa. for example; you're fighting off hoards of zeds in a city with your axe whilst your visibility is progressively going down due to all the blood and guts covering your visor! you quickly run around the corner to apply rags to your gasmask, quickly wiping it clean! or alternatively, when you find "ruined" or "badly damaged" gasmasks, they would be covered in cracks, in the same method that gun scopes currently are. 

• Like 1

to tors (guy above me):

Freaking loved Metro 2033, and loved the feeling the mask gave you. It was a sense of claustrophobia and fear of conflict (due to breakage). Would love to see a similar system for it in DayZ. But at the moment, I Still cant really see a good reason for a gasmask at all. Disease, maybe the small respirators, but a full on mask? Are we Expecting to end up with Chlorine Gas in our face? Whats the deal with it?

cool idea, though if gas mask have a feature like this I hope they also have a function (such as protecting from gas! haha). in game tear gas, or maybe even some bio chem weapon would be cool and make gas mask more than a vanity item.

also if gas mask and other mask effect your view in first person mode I hope sunglasses do to, maybe then walking into the sun wouldn't be such a pain.

have any of you played the METRO series? (like s.t.a.l.k.e.r, except with more train stations) - i thought that had a really well implemented gas mask function - when you use it in game, there is a slick animation of putting it on, and it subsequently limits your field of vision (happy to hear this is being implemented) - but also, when you take damage/get in fights the mask can crack/split & get covered in gore - which i think would work really well in the dayz-sa. for example; you're fighting off hoards of zeds in a city with your axe whilst your visibility is progressively going down due to all the blood and guts covering your visor! you quickly run around the corner to apply rags to your gasmask, quickly wiping it clean! or alternatively, when you find "ruined" or "badly damaged" gasmasks, they would be covered in cracks, in the same method that gun scopes currently are. 

An animation for putting on the gasmask would be awesome. I would dance if they would add an animation for like everything. All clothes, all crafting, all actions. You would feel much more human and maybe care more for your little guy.

But does a gas mask actually limit view significantly? Long time since I used one, but can only remember it making 'aiming down sights' with a rifle difficult. Also when there is lots of moisture, the 'visor' could get foggy.

It would be nice to have for example tear gas grenades in the game (in mil bases, police hqs). That would actually bring a tactical use for masks.

Just a small thing I'd like to add: people should not be able to drink/ eat  while wearing a gas-mask.

@ daisho

well modern gasmask, especially that model in the game allows you to drink in contaminated areas.
so yes, it is possible.

• Like 1

@ daisho

well modern gasmask, especially that model in the game allows you to drink in contaminated areas.

so yes, it is possible.

Oh, I didn't know that. I've found a gasmask yesterday and found it kinda silly that I kept wearing it while I was eating my sardines.

they should implement a system that there are cities that you can not go if you do not have a gas mask, because the city are contaminated gas as chernobyl city