Sign in to follow this  
PoppinHeads

Realism & Terminology in DayZ

Hi All,

Let's try again.  This game is not actually designed to be a game, but rather, a simulation.  One of the guiding principles behind DayZ is supposed to be the realism.  Having to eat and drink, breaking limbs, going unconscious, etc. etc. 

If this game is about realism, than a magazine =/= a clip.  It's basic fact.  All you guys flamed me, and that's fine, but you need to realize saying "who cares", or "it doesn't matter", just shows you to be ignorant.  They are two different words, that have two different meanings.  It's not even like they are synonyms and I'm just being a dick.  They aren't.  This is a matter of simple fact and using the correct terminology.  Maybe I should not have said it was my biggest pet peeve, because it isn't.  But it's a matter of using correct terminology to define what you are talking about.  If everyone just stops caring and calls something whatever the hell they want, what's the point of that??  Words have meanings and definitions, and those who use the terms magazine and clip interchangeably are showing they are ignorant to the difference.  I'm trying to help you people!!

firearm & gun - accepted as interchangeable terms for a weapon that fires a projectile out of a barrel.

car & automobile - accepted as interchangeable terms for a thing with 4 wheels and an engine that drives the wheels

pistol & handgun - accepted as interchangeable terms to describe a one-handed firearm

Synonyms - a word or phrase that means exactly or nearly the same as another word or phrase in the same language

Clip & Magazine are NOT synonyms. 

Magazine - a container that feeds the cartridges to the weapon.  

Clip - a device used to feed the cartridges into the magazine. 

Get it?  You cannot fire cartridges directly out of a clip, but you can fire cartridges directly out of a magazine.  

So, no flaming.  Please accept that these two words have different meanings and that in the firearm world, they are not accepted as interchangeable terms, as they are completely different items.  By the way, here is how to test if words are synonyms (or close enough to use interchangeably.  You take the word in question, and replace it with another word.  And if the overall sentence still makes factual and common sense, then you are good to go.

Example:

#1) I need a magazine for my FNX45.

#2) I need a clip for my FNX45.

In the above example, you can clearly see (based on the definitions you should now be familiar with), that clip is not a suitable replacement for magazine.  Why?  Because from a factual standpoint, a FNX45 is incompatible with a clip.  Therefore, the factual accuracy of the second sentence is not maintained by replacing "magazine" with "clip".

So, to reiterate my point, you sound like a tool when you say something that doesn't make factual sense.  

Sure, I know what you mean.  But if I don't correct you, you will not know that you sound like a tool, or know that you are factually incorrect, and will continue to practice reinforcing the misinformation of others.

Just call it what it is, instead of flaming me to defend your misuse of these two words. 

• Like 2

Dude, you are correct about clips not being magazines but seriously...

picard-facepalm-o.gif

• Like 8

The thing is...I'm willing to bet that a majority of the community are aware of the difference. Maybe not an overwhelming majority, but a good portion of us are aware of this.

The reason you got flamed on the last one is because you're coming off as high and mighty, when in reality we're all on the same page. For the most part.

Also, the terms are a good indicator of the type of person you are dealing with. For example, if someone comes up to me in game and starts asking me for 'clips' of whatever...I'll instantly know that this person is ignorant of said fact. I won't correct them...I'll just say 'no' and know that, that is not the type of person I would want on my 'team' or whatever.

The community is not as ignorant as one dumb kid in a server.

Shakespeare wrote a play about this:  "Much Ado About Nothing"

• Like 3

wow stop with the crap topics already .. seriously did you just make a forum account to complain about every damn thing?

Did you know that REAL people are the ones who mix up clips/magazines? It doesn't get much more realistic than that, does it? 

Edited by Zalvager
  • Like 2

Did you know that REAL people are the ones who mix up clips/magazines? It doesn't get much more realistic than that, does it? 

good point :beans:

I didn't realise to exist in post apocalypse world is compulsory to know exact correct word for anything relate to bullet container system :huh:

wow stop with the crap topics already .. seriously did you just make a forum account to complain about every damn thing?

Um, isn't they 27% of the members ALREADY using this forum?

I get it, you guys don't care.  So here's an exercise - pick a topic you are personally passionate about.  And create a similar example using specific terminology from that topic.  Now, tell me if it pisses you off when someone is speaking of said topic incorrectly.

Do we call a SCUBA tank an oxygen tank?  Yes, all the time.  Is oxygen what a SCUBA tank holds?  No.  But you sound ignorant to a scuba diver calling that thing on his back an oxygen tank.

If a mechanic asks you for a wrench and you hand him a pliers, he's going to look at you funny.  Similar tools, used in similar ways, but not the same.

What's that thing under your hood in your car?  Is it an engine?  Or is it a motor?  

out of all the crazy, weird and dumb shit players do you gripe about the use of the words clip/magazine as long as the person they talk to knows what they are talking about who cares.

Just a point here, you don't fire rounds directly out of a magazine. They are fed by the magazine into the chamber, then fired. I think the better differentiation is that a clip is a guiding and loading device while a magazine is a storage and feeding device.

Or if you want to get to the very lowest base, a magazine has a spring and a clip does not.

• Like 1

good point :beans:

I didn't realise to exist in post apocalypse world is compulsory to know exact correct word for anything relate to bullet container system :huh:

Well, actually, since you brought it up, a bullet is just the thing that is forced out of the casing by the gunpowder explosion.  But I let this one go, becasue it is commonly accepted to refer to the 4 separate components that make up a cartridge as a bullet.

• Like 1

I'll just teleport to the same military base I'm in in a parallel universe and look there for more mags, as I've heard, looking for clips would not be realistic.

Today I've learned.

• Like 1

I'll just teleport to the same military base I'm in in a parallel universe and look there for more mags, as I've heard, looking for clips would not be realistic.

Today I've learned.

See, there you go!  Now you know not to look for pistol clips because you will never, EVER find them.  And you've learned something new.  Doesn't it feel good?

See, there you go!  Now you know not to look for pistol clips because you will never, EVER find them.  And you've learned something new.  Doesn't it feel good?

Can't say that I really cared in the first place, just tried to be snarky.

As long as it shoots bullets I don't care if its a mag, a clip or a banana.

You can rant all along, you'll never teach the DayZ Community or any other community. I guess your are just naive enough to try ^^

And you are correct. The most people dont give a ***** about terminology, no need to create endless topics about that.

Edited by Sloddor

I think someone is a little butthurt.

firearm & gun - accepted as interchangeable terms for a weapon that fires a projectile out of a barrel.

You're not hardcore enough, try again. ;)

Edited by ChekovP

So terminology will fix KoS?

Yes, KoS = Survival Challenge

There. Fixed.