PoppinHeads

WTF are with the Books?

I search for a bible and then go on a holy crusade!

Held a bible in hand a few times and pulled an few "Jehovah Witnesses"...Oddly, most people flee, who knew?

Because nothing is more fun that running around packed with nothing but books.

Someone takes the time to gun you down and loot you only to find you're carrying nothing but ruined books..

In the event of a long-term, total-collapse-of-society situation, it is thought that books would be some of the most important things to save. They are the records of our past, in the forms of cultural works, and the key to our future, in the form of technical manuals. 

How do you think you will be maintaining your vehicle, without the manual? Properly use a generator? Plan crop rotation, etc.....

• Like 1

1) what exactly is the design or creative intent behind having these books everywhere?

2) in a post apocalyptic survival situation, should I really be tying my inventory slots up with BOOKS that I can't eat, bandage myself with, or use to kill an enemy?

3) do any of you actually sit in the game and read these books?

1) "For the price of a modest meal, you can own The History of Rome" Carl Sagan  Human beings have an almost uncontrollable urge to record anything and everything. To me, it is one of our most important qualities as a species, as it means we will always have some idea of who we were, and where we are going.

2) In my regular camping backpack, which would presumably double as my BOB in the case of SHTF, I carry several books. A survival guide, plant guide for North America, several different maps, as well as several books I keep for recreation. I'm telling you, nothing is better at the end of a long day, when the rain is sheeting down outside your shelter, to pull out a book and polish off a few chapters.

3) In game, no, I have more efficient uses of my time. But I do carry books as a form of roleplay.

• Like 3

Whoa, you can read the books? Shit! That's actually cool as hell! I wish I'd known this sooner! I thought they were useless and you couldn't do anything with them. I've been running around with a Bible for the sake of it. Now I can read it! :D

I probably sound really sarcastic but this is actually really cool to me.

• Like 1

Once I figured they are readable I looked up the list of available books in the DayZ Wiki, and believe it or not, they have Robinson Crusoe! I haven't read that book in ages, and hunting for this title ingame is so much more fun than just Googling it up. How much fun is it to actually chase something in game that you can use in real life?

Can't wait to find it, but I think there are about 100 titles out there, so it'll take a while.

Awesome idea and I 100% approve! Thanks Devs! Great inspiration!

Kudos to whoever went through the trouble of making the book covers in game.

In most games all the books are the generic red covered rectangles. It's great to see the book and be able to identify it immediately.

Actually kudos to whoever is adding the detail to the items in game. I was 'inspecting' a morphine injector awhile back and noticed a bar code. Curious, I looked it up on google and sure enough it referred me to a few medical websites that describe the actual product.

I love when games have that much attention to detail.

• Like 1

Well there are good books that I have read IRL, but now I have problem. I find out that there is Charles Darwins Origin of Species but it is in french language, what I cannot read. Do you know is there english version in game? Or should I just go IRL library, cause I need to read it sooner or later.

I've searched, and cannot find a meaningful answer.  Can someone tell me, wtf are the books for in the game?  Is it really so you're game character has something to do when nothing else is going on?  Is it a way to pass the time when it's dark outside?  I don't get it.  I'm not an avid reader to begin with.  And I'm sure as hell not going to page thru Red Badge of Courage while I am trying to play a VIDEO GAME.  So was just curious:

1) what exactly is the design or creative intent behind having these books everywhere?

2) in a post apocalyptic survival situation, should I really be tying my inventory slots up with BOOKS that I can't eat, bandage myself with, or use to kill an enemy?

3) do any of you actually sit in the game and read these books?

you can pick them up to absorb bullet damage so that the books get damaged before you do if someone is shooting at you. only practical use that i know of

I've searched, and cannot find a meaningful answer.

Wow hilarious visions of this guy searching the internet for what books are for, I mean wtf really?

Fair enough you don't want to read in a video game me either, but I don't see any harm in them at all. In fact im all for more useless junk items that would serve you no purpose but you might find in a house, makes more sense than the house being full of usefull stuff and makes good loot much harder to find. And maybe one day when I have my camp set up, ill have a little read while my friend cooks up meat we gained out hunting. And think about when the weather has an effect on your character, and you have to seek shelter till the rain stops so why not pull out a book and read a few pages.

This is a game where people can do whatever they want, and im guessing theres a few roleplayers playing that like to carry things that make the character more human. When I kill someone I check there gear and if I open there bag and find books, a pen and a journal (notes) Id actually feel a little more sympathetic and guilty of my actions as this guy planned to live and write his stories, compared to someone with a bag full of ammo and guns who just wants to be another so called bandit.

Edited by Ricky Spanish
  • Like 2