Sign in to follow this  
Standfree1987

Met four human players so far!

So I'm new to this game, and was hearing a lot of buzz about it, and an really enjoying playing so far... I played on low servers for a little while to get used to the game and controls, then headed into a bigger game... So far I've met four players in this game, one player was completely unarmed, a new spawn and sprinted away from me as soon as he seen me, the other 3 shot me dead on site!

I am now trying to be a lot more careful in the bigger servers but holy cr*p it's frustrating. I have geared up reasonably well, including saving a few slots for items that could help other players and new spawns etc, but I guess I got to take a more aggressive approach to certain areas of the map!

Anyway, my first post, so hi, I am running in my own at the minute but my friend plays sometimes and hopefully running in a pack will make things a bit more enjoyable! Love watching clips of random interactions and fun times but guess there's the majority that are just after my gear even though I rarely have much to rob so far lol

Welcome, its a good game, but do not trust anyone!

IF you make contact ensure you have the upper hand, and only interact if you want to/need to.  There are friendly people out there, but most KOS because its the safer option!

just make sure you have the advantage when starting a dialogue with a human player.... normal i wait until they holster or shoulder their weapon to do something then i spring out on them, make it clear i am friendly but if they make a move for their weapon i'll kill them.

Anyway, be cautious and move slow.

Don't listen to that guy, most people KOS becasue they can't get their jollys anyway else. 90% of the people you try to talk to will either kill you immediately, or try to kill you when your turn your back. This will all change later on in the games development as ammo and guns will be alot harder to come across(making it not worth the risk to random kos), and zombies will be everywhere making teamwork a must with such low ammo supplies.

Playing in a clan does make it better, in more ways than one.  go find a decent group or get your mates to buy it, no better fun than with mates you know.

Stay away from towns if you want to meet people.  and trust no-one, unless you can talk to them through game.  It adds to the security if you can chat before you reveal your position.

Hope you have fun.

Cheers folks have read all the beginners guides etc and have a better idea. Would rather they held me up and did something interesting rather than just wipe me out surely that's what this game should be about hah

• Like 1

Hi, I'm the same, I've only met 3 players so far :

1st : New spawn, met another new spawn, I signaled friendly he punched me unconscious

2nd: Was in a small town, saw a guy looting, I hid in a house with spade ready, he came in another door and stood looking at me with spade ready at the wrong door, I signaled friendly and ran away awkwardly

3rd: Met a lady on the coast, she had a wrench and a purple beanie I had nothing, signaled friendly she responded, I left heading towards a train station. After 5 minutes I happened to look back and shes there right behind me with a wrench, fighting ensues I manage to knock her out and run away stealing her wrench but leaving her the beanie (gentleman)

Fun times, see you in game

I've met 2 people. Then i laid unconscious.

I'm the "friendly" guy too, but the only situation in which i'll talk to anybody would include

1. me pointing a gun on his/her face

2. his/her hands up

After this we can have a talk and drink tea.

go on a 50 player server, one that is based locally or where the people speak your native language - and have no fear about losing your gear- dont use the words, friendly, bambi, noob or any others that will get either a hostile feel or make them think your a friendly preacher.

i suggest the solnichiny area then head to berezino with your new freshspawn friends.

experimental is more friendly generally, the people seem nicer :)

Hm... if you try to find friendly people, then you have to move inlands in the smaller towns. Elektro, Berezihno and all these big coastal towns are a pvp-desaster. The people are way more relaxeder in the countryside 8D

it's SIGHT, not site...

Maybe english isn't his native language? I wonder how many languages you've mastered so far. 

1st : New spawn, met another new spawn, I signaled friendly he punched me unconscious

Not sure why I find that funny but it did make me chuckle.

Haha English is my native language, nevermind, sorry about that spelling error! Cheers for the tips, will take them on board though looks like my latest character is about to die of starvation while I seem to be running on the longest road ever trying to reach some houses to loot! Got that izurvive app which had proven helpful for getting around... I have had a couple more interactions today which were a bit friendlier, if not slightly nervy...

Out of all of the player interactions I've had, most of them had been with friendly players where we've traded equipment and survival necessities before going off on our separate ways, or joining together for a brief time to head towards a specific area.

Though my favorite interaction was after an intense gunfight. I had just murdered my first player after he killed two of my friends while we were scavenging the North West Airfield for supplies. The bandit had made the mistake of not checking to see if I was still alive or not and had climbed down the ladder to begin looting the bodies, at which point I came out of cover while his back was to me and proceeded to empty fifteen rounds of my .45, six rounds of my Magnum, ten rounds of my SKS, and then to ensure that he was dead, axe'd him in the back. Needless to say, most of his gear was ruined - except for the M4 the bandit was carrying, so I picked that up.

The entire time I had heard someone talking nearby, thinking it was my friend who was still unconscious, so I went back to his body and began speaking to him, when I asked if he was dead or not the person replied back with a "Uh, no... I'm alive." I asked if he was unconscious, and he replied that he wasn't. Which instantly lead me to realize that someone else was in the area. This person shortly after asked if I was alright, and if I was involved in that gunfight that happened, of course I was, though low on blood. I asked if he was friendly, and he asked me the same question, we both said yes and I proceeded cautiously over to his position warning him on a consistent basis that I was coming closer, crouched and unarmed.

We were both still nerved about the gunfight that had happened and I informed him that two of my friends were murdered during it, that was when he informed me that his own buddy had been killed in the gunfight. After getting patched up and trading around supplies we both were going to part ways when he said hesitantly that he was going to go down towards the coast to get his friend - the direction I too, was now heading. It was that moment that I had made a friend through the hardships of a gunfight.

TL;DR - Just because you meet KoSing players or bandits that like to torture you regardless of whether you're geared or not, the good experiences and meeting people still outweigh the negative ones. You just gotta attempt to talk to people, it may take five to ten tries before you find someone whose genuinely a good person.

• Like 1

I remember my first few days on standalone - I would talk to everyone and maybe due to the lack of gear I wouldnt get taken often so it seemed pretty safe. Then ofcourse I started frequenting the airfields, visited electro and cherno a few times and it all changed. Now me and my mates always drop to the ground as soon as we see another player even though we have no more room for anymore gear or weapons.

I also found players to be more friendly on experimental, I still remmember having a backpack an an M4 on experimental, it was at Zeleno - saw another player in full military gear with a rifle who had actually put his rifle away infront of me, waved and asked if i need anything. Holy crap. There are good people out there. Needless to say after a quick exchange of ammo and some weapon attachments we were on our way. I then attempted to do the same thing with the next person I saw and got shot instantly lol. The lesson is if you're attached to your gear then you gotta be an asshole. If you aren't attached to your stuff then you can be a good dude.

• Like 2

I remember my first few days on standalone - I would talk to everyone and maybe due to the lack of gear I wouldnt get taken often so it seemed pretty safe. Then ofcourse I started frequenting the airfields, visited electro and cherno a few times and it all changed. Now me and my mates always drop to the ground as soon as we see another player even though we have no more room for anymore gear or weapons.

I also found players to be more friendly on experimental, I still remmember having a backpack an an M4 on experimental, it was at Zeleno - saw another player in full military gear with a rifle who had actually put his rifle away infront of me, waved and asked if i need anything. Holy crap. There are good people out there. Needless to say after a quick exchange of ammo and some weapon attachments we were on our way. I then attempted to do the same thing with the next person I saw and got shot instantly lol. The lesson is if you're attached to your gear then you gotta be an asshole. If you aren't attached to your stuff then you can be a good dude.

i very much agree to the point made about gear, i have died many times and i seems the longer i play, the quicker i can gear myself up again.

gear isn't important to me so i dont see any reason in not sacraficing myself to make a new friend.

• Like 1

The lesson is if you're attached to your gear then you gotta be an asshole. If you aren't attached to your stuff then you can be a good dude.

I think that is the most important sentence you typed.  When I first started DayZ I couldn't find much loot (didn't know about server restarts etc) and as such I was all about "getting gear" but now that I have played a few hundred hours and I know some optimal spots to gear up, I don't give a rats ass about the gear, I am all about meeting other players and having the interactions.  Do I get killed a few times while trying to open dialogue, hell yes, but the few times it has worked out I have grouped up with a few players and had some really good times.

Hell I have let my 16 yr old daughter run with my character just so I could watch her reaction the first time she saw a zombie, or hear one groan at her.  She almost shit her pants... god that was awesome!

I think all in all, people need to stop looking at this as a FPS, yes you can shoot people, do you NEED to??

• Like 2