Zjasuu

How to fix server hopping and combat logging!

Have players assigned to one server upon log in.

Have a timer for said players on said server if they continuously try to log in again after a certain time.

If I understand you correctly you want the system autoassign players to servers upon login and they would be bound to this server and cant play on other servers for a certain time?

Problems I see:

1 ) you get autoassigned to a server with a badmin that immeditately kicks you, hence you can't play at all for that given time as you are bound to a server the admin doesn't let you play on

2 ) you get autoassigned to a server that doesnt fit your connection (high ping)

3 ) you get autoassigned to a server while the friends you wanna play/ team up with play on/ get assigned to another server.

4) on of the big advantages of PC gaming over console gaming is the rgulars/ communities that form around servers, this would not be possible anymore as there were no more regulars as people cant chose their servers anymore

5 ) you get autoassigned to a server, that is empty and want to play on full server or other way round

6 ) server-admins would get autoassigned to a random server too?

7) hackers on the server and you are forced to play on this server?

To OP:

I'm totally against it. As much as I hate combat-logging and farm-hopping I personally wouldn't want to feel forced to stay ingame or leave my character vulnerable ingame if any stuff is happening in RL, be it important or not, or I simply want to log out.

Edited by daisho
  • Like 2

Here is another solution mainly because i think yours is terrible:

Loot respawn and when you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear. The implementation of police stations and med centers in multiple places (at least 14 more from what I have read in forums) will also help out. Mostly some patience on the part of the players to allow the dev team to address the issue IN THIS  ALPHA game is needed.

As for combat logging, there is no such thing anymore since when you log out you are still in the game for 30 seconds and can be killed by player or zombie.

Ignoring the reason why they were suggested, I like the OPs suggestion: Make a roll mat and sleeping bag items in game that provide a bonus when deployed and used to how long you must wait before your character disappears from the server. Why? Because the current system of timers really is the only workable solution to combat logging, and this ties in quite nicely with it.

As for server hopping, this is something that will be fixed as the problem of loot condensation in backpacks is resolved in the beta, several years from now. Dig in and suck it up.

Is it possible to make it so the character that loots a baracks on one server, then goes to

another server it makes the loot invisible to that player for 30 min or what ever timer is fair. Punish the player not the community??

• Like 1

Probably not. Certainly investigating developing such a specific feature could be construed as punishing the community; that's a coder working on a problem that can be fixed by design when he should be working on something else!

I agree but alot of people bitching about this topic. My opinion is let them do it it's alpha let them abuse it. Just kill them if you can loot them. It makes them that much madder when you do kill them.

Caught a guy off guard yesterday prestine mosin LRS and prestine m4 with 3 full 60 round clips two full ammo cans with other random goodies. Pretty sure he was not happy with me.

Still think the best fix to server hopping is if you are currently on one server, if you go to another server, you should be placed randomly on the whole map... Switch too much and you are a fresh spawn on the beach. Obviously a fix better suited when item respawns are in place... Just think you shouldnt be able to just hang out at a military base searching a bunch of servers for loot. This would get people exploring more on one server.

The added benefit of this is it also as well would be benefiting base building since you wouldnt be able switch servers to get inside someones base, a big issue thats sure to come in the future. Was a issue in the mod, made barbed wire pointless since you can just go to another server and position yourself to be inside it, then head back in the regular server.

Combat logging needs to have something in place that if you shoot your gun or melee, it should be a added 5 minute timer before your character logs out... Right now 30 seconds is too short and still benefits the combat logger hiding in a house.. It forces you to make a rush instead of playing strategically because everytime the player hiding stops shooting, he could be tempting to log out quickly. Although still need something as well for the guy who runs and hides when being shot at and tries logging out fast. Maybe if a bullet lands in the general area around the play it starts a timer something longer than 30 seconds before you can logout your character

Edited by cels

Still think the best fix to server hopping is if you are currently on one server, if you go to another server, you should be placed randomly on the whole map... Switch too much and you are a fresh spawn on the beach. Obviously a fix better suited when item respawns are in place... Just think you shouldnt be able to just hang out at a military base searching a bunch of servers for loot. This would get people exploring more on one server.

The added benefit of this is it also as well would be benefiting base building since you wouldnt be able switch servers to get inside someones base, a big issue thats sure to come in the future. Was a issue in the mod, made barbed wire pointless since you can just go to another server and position yourself to be inside it, then head back in the regular server.

Combat logging needs to have something in place that if you shoot your gun or melee, it should be a added 5 minute timer before your character logs out... Right now 30 seconds is too short and still benefits the combat logger hiding in a house.. It forces you to make a rush instead of playing strategically because everytime the player hiding stops shooting, he could be tempting to log out quickly. Although still need something as well for the guy who runs and hides when being shot at and tries logging out fast. Maybe if a bullet lands in the general area around the play it starts a timer something longer than 30 seconds before you can logout your character

server-hopping:

...your Idea seems interesting, but I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

Disconnects can happen for so many different reasons beside serverhopping and as much as they need to find a solution for this they shouldn't punish "innocent" players. I for example dc whenever I get a phonecall, doorbell,... maybe your ISP goes down or a badmin kicks you or you wanna play together with some friends and get teleported to some point on the map and don't even know where you are as you got like no orientation whatsoever.

Even though things will change after alpha - most times wouldn't even be able to find the server again I was playing on just recently.

combat-logging:

as said in another thread already: I totally would hate to be forced to actually stay ingame or leave my charakter vulnerable ingame if I want to log off or I simply need to log off because I have anything to do in RL be it that I have to get food, I'm getting an important phonecall or have friends coming over.

AION back then had some pretty decent system: you couldn't log out when under attack for X seconds and after that you had to wait (iirc) 15 seconds to log out, but you basically were still in game and could cancel the timer counting down anytime.

I would be fine with something like that.

Like:

* people cant log out at all for -let's say- 1 or 2 minutes after they got hit.

* when logging out you stay ingame and watch the timer count down and you can cancel it when you see people around you anytime. (no more being on server when not logged in)

This would make people not combatlog right away but if they wanna logout their character is not completely vulnerable

Again: pls no penality that lasts longer than a 1 or 2 minutes, this is a game after all and shouldn't affect RL in any way.

Edited by daisho

server-hopping:

...your Idea seems interesting, but I'm not sure if that is the right approach.

Disconnects can happen for so many different reasons beside serverhopping and as much as they need to find a solution for this they shouldn't punish "innocent" players. I for example dc whenever I get a phonecall, doorbell,... maybe your ISP goes down or a badmin kicks you or you wanna play together with some friends and get teleported to some point on the map and don't even know where you are as you got like no orientation whatsoever.

Even though things will change after alpha - most times wouldn't even be able to find the server again I was playing on just recently.

combat-logging:

as said in another thread already: I totally would hate to be forced to actually stay ingame or leave my charakter vulnerable ingame if I want to log off or I simply need to log off because I have anything to do in RL be it that I have to get food, I'm getting an important phonecall or have friends coming over.

AION back then had some pretty decent system: you couldn't log out when under attack for X seconds and after that you had to wait (iirc) 15 seconds to log out, but you basically were still in game and could cancel the timer counting down anytime.

I would be fine with something like that.

Like:

* people cant log out at all for -let's say- 1 or 2 minutes after they got hit.

* when logging out you stay ingame and watch the timer count down and you can cancel it when you see people around you anytime. (no more being on server when not logged in)

This would make people not combatlog right away but if they wanna logout their character is not completely vulnerable

Again: pls no penality that lasts longer than a 1 or 2 minutes, this is a game after all and shouldn't affect RL in any way.

Yeah as far as the server hopping idea, in the case of accidental disconnecting. I would think as long as you go back to the original server you d/ced from it shouldnt effect you.. Its just if you switch to a different server other than the original one you are on or d/ced from. It would be nice if on the main screen or something it showed the last server you were in. Or... Put a date/time column on the server history screen to sort by so you can see which was the last you joined.

A combat logging fix just needs to be sure that if the person is in combat(i agree), it shouldnt make you have to rush instead of playing strategically to get to the person incase hes trying to log out, like whats possible now with the 30 second timer as stated with my example above.. In all other situations of not being in combat, I think the 30 seconds is perfectly fine.

Edited by cels

-snip-

I for example dc whenever I get a phonecall, doorbell,... maybe your ISP goes down or a badmin kicks you or you wanna play together with some friends and get teleported to some point on the map and don't even know where you are as you got like no orientation

-snip-

Totally offtopic but a "phone filter" will fix your internet disconnect issue, you get them for a couple bucks on amazon.

Back to topic, i sometimes server hop because sometimes i can search for many hours for loot, and not even find a can of food since they have all been looted clean, and i have both been searching at airports and major cities, and smaller villages alike and i find nothing at all.

To OP then i think this idea sucks, because you punish everyone for what a few does, and i cant really see why it should bother people for what rarely happens

I would rather see a enemy system where if your inside like 100 meters from players you cant leave server without either leaving the area or killing him.

Edited by bigggan

yeah pretty god idea but why do we need sleeping bags just if you hear shooting you cannot leave server for like 5-10 minutes and if you leave you character will be there still

I got an idea.

MAKE PRIVATE HIVES/SERVER AVAILABLE!

DayZ needs to stop with their Public server SCAM.

Not everyone wants public BS, so give us LAN possibilities, give us server FILES.

You pay $60 per month to rent a server > Can't password protect it > Can't kick people > can't do jack shit

That is a scam, the percentage of people getting DayZ through ILLEGAL MEANS IS GROWING.

WHY? Because Illegal copies, can actually HAVE private servers.

Rocket new with the mod, that public servers without private options = idiotic.

Private servers/hives > creates community > less server hopping > NO BS.

So DayZ creators, stop with this BS, stop with this SCAM.

I love DayZ I really do, but this is really idiotic.

Alpha or not, Every person with a working brain KNOWS it should've had private hive/lan possibilities.

And don't give me the :"It's alpha, they warned it on the steam page" BULLSHIT.

Try putting a big mac in front of a Obese person and tell them it's not complete, and if you do eat it, don't cry.

Let's see if he will wait 3 years.

I can't be the only one who isn't pissed off about combat loggers and server hoppers. And I have really put some thought into fixing all that and here it is:

In order to log out the player must find a bed, a sleeping bag or have a tent (more on this down below). If the player logs out or exits the game without going to "sleep" his/her character will stay on the server until he/she rejoins the server.

Just think about it, noobs who can't find a sleeping bag or a tent can go to a village and go to sleep on a bed, and players who are better at the game can go to sleep where ever they want by putting up a tent.

And here is how the sleeping could work: one word, adrenaline. If you have been shooting or hearing gunshots your adrenaline level would be too high to sleep, if you have been shot at your adrenaline level would be so high that logging off would leave the character on the bed for like 30 minutes before disappearing.

That's just the basics, a lot of tweaking would obviously be required. Tell me what you think

I do agree with the first part entirely. This was what I thought of as well for logging out since this game is going to get as realistic as evacuating body fluids. Logging out would be sleeping. This does prevent loggers but doesn't do much for server hoppers. Only allowing one server for the player is a terrible idea since there are good reasons for changing (night time server, joining friends, finding a less crowded server or being unable to log on current server, logging in again due to crashes, ...). Server hoppers are a big problem because whatever we do, it's hard to stop them without making it a tremendous pain for everyone else out there just trying to play.

Making the loot invisible as suggested here would actually be a realistic and logical solution. This would mean that every object you pick up would be tagged. They would have this invisible fingerprint that would make it invisible on every server until a given time or until loot is reset.

Is it possible to make it so the character that loots a baracks on one server, then goes to

another server it makes the loot invisible to that player for 30 min or what ever timer is fair. Punish the player not the community??

The adrenaline part is not good either as it will be a pain to log off, and player and his stuff shouldn't remain on the server at the mercy of anyone that comes by. You can't put a enemy detection mechanism in place that would set a min distance at which players and zombies should be or else it could be used as a life detection tool and wouldn't allow friendlies to log out together.

I thinks that the time it takes to pitch a tent should be used for this problem (of course, as any action, can be interrupted) as it stops loggers from being able to log out in time (here i am not talking about an instant disconnect right before taking a shot but actually disconnecting while in any fight). For beds, taking time to take off stuff and lie in them can have a similar role. To this should be added other mechanisms but I think it's a good start.

At last, as stated below, have benefits for sleeping:

It's a very good idea and

is according to the game's realism principles.

As i said in one of my past suggestion when you sleep..

You could have:

-If you have low blood,blood regenaration during sleep/logout time would improve.

-If you log out from the bed with sick status,when you log in sleep mode would improve your survivor's condition.

-You can get a "rested" status equivalent to the "healthy" status,only rather than having improve blood regen,

your survivor could run faster than his averange top running speed until your stamina falls again and lose the "rested"status.

Also,make sleep logout mandatory,and when the temperature is imlemented and you log out in the middle of the forest with freezing temperature,there is a high chance you will find your survivor sick.So before you going to sleep you should take in account

1:Beign indors when you sleep.

2:Have a burning fire/heat source close to you to keep you warm. 

If you go to bed with the "healthy" "stuffed"  "hydrated" status,and you have a good temperature (near fire or other heat source) and inside a house,it will affect the pace in which your charachter regenerates blood.Making all theese preparations is challenging,so i think it's fair.Right?

That would increase the realism factor to a new level.

Edited by aknar

How about all the people that don't like sever hoppers just log on low pop servers and camp hi grade loot areas and snipe or up close kill these guys. If you kill them you get all there hard work In a shot or two. Have a server hopper challenge. Post your kills and stories and loot you've obtained.

How about all the people that don't like sever hoppers just log on low pop servers and camp hi grade loot areas and snipe or up close kill these guys. If you kill them you get all there hard work In a shot or two. Have a server hopper challenge. Post your kills and stories and loot you've obtained.

This is a lovely idea and I approve, but I'd just like to point out that it too is a form of server hopping (and one I have partaken of): Whilst most server hoppers do so for loot, the above scenario has someone server hopping for targets. Neither are desirable.

Devil's advocate, by the way.

Agreed but I hear a lot more whining about loot hoppers and not kill hoppers. Killing server hoppers will slow it down and make them more on edge. Plus it's good target practice.

Wait what?! and how do you know they are server hoppers? Unless they appear right in front of you, you can't tell (and even then, it can just be someone that logged off there). It can just be any other person trying to find intresting loot in good areas. Camping is a worse practice than server hoppers that just take some loot, campers kill anyone regardless of who they are (isn't KoS players what everyone is annoyed with on this forum). This is actually going lower than the practice of server hopping. (plus, it won't as hell slow them down biggb45s.)

If you think camping is wrong, I think you might be playing the wrong game. The engine here positively encourages ambush tactics. Incidentally, who said anything about KoS behaviour? Let's not get off topic.

Basically I'm saying if your a whinny server hopper complainer. Set on a hill and kill the only person that logs in the server besides you at the airfield airbase or what not looting around. Odds are the 2nd person on the server besides you at the airbase looting around in full military gear is a hopper. But ya never know I guess, he could just be a happy go lucky explorer looking for his beans and soda.

If you think camping is wrong, I think you might be playing the wrong game. The engine here positively encourages ambush tactics. Incidentally, who said anything about KoS behaviour? Let's not get off topic.

Camping was what made the Arma mod so annoying and this game is trying to work around it to offer a new experience. If people wanted the same one, there wouldn't have been a need for this game. This game is supposed to encourage team-work (as the devs say) against hordes of deadly zombies that can contaminate you and groups of other players that seek to survive by taking your ammo and medical supplies. I don't think I mistook this for the Arma mod.

Basically I'm saying if your a whinny server hopper complainer. Set on a hill and kill the only person that logs in the server besides you at the airfield airbase or what not looting around. Odds are the 2nd person on the server besides you at the airbase looting around in full military gear is a hopper. But ya never know I guess, he could just be a happy go lucky explorer looking for his beans and soda.

These guys are trying to solve a cheating problem that comes with this mechanic. The topic isn't new but it's because it's being brought up all the time that it shows how important this is. The ideas might not be new or revolutionnary either but it's by discussing it on a forum that you can test ideas to see if they are valid, consolidate them with other ideas and invent new ideas to cope with diffrent difficulties you face. This is positive and should be encouraged, it's not because it's an old topic where these ideas have already been dicussed that from there can't emerge a breack-through.

one word, adrenaline. If you have been shooting or hearing gunshots your adrenaline level would be too high...

.. and stop logout for 5/3 mins that should be enough to stop server swapping, just yesterday we was in a open combat with a grp of 3 guys, we killed 2 of them and the last simply logged out when we was all around the building where he was hiding, that's really frustrating, as i can see are a lot the groups of players who prefer make the last one or two memebers logout to save some equip instead of die,

I must say also that in most case they are the ones who start shooting at our assault squad ignoring that we have always some good sniper placed as backup :D

How about just locking your character to the server. I only really play on one of three servers it is a bit of a compramise but if you want to be on a busy server it would be quite hard to get all the high end gear and when bases are eventualy implemented they will be locked to a server so why not get every one into that mind set now. As for combat loggers the tent or bed role solution sounds good maybe they could make it so it takes a minute to set up bed or tent and once you start the action you are locked into it so you have to be in a safe place to do it or taking a big risk. If you log when dead you lose your corps as it stayes on the server for minimum 15 minutes and won't follow you (if that is how it works don't know anything about how loging works as I don't do it!).