daisho

using spraycans to leave messages on houses/ mark trees and for self defense

I once tried to spray a message on a house as I first thought spraycans would be meant for that, but it didn't work (either because it's not possible or I was too dumb to do it)...

I was thinking that this would be a great way to:

1) give general warning to other players (i.e. leave messages like: sniper/ bandits/ horde of zeds in the area - watch out, or indicate that a certain area is crowded with deers so most likely a good hunting ground)

2) use a certain code within clans (i.e. certain sign/ code indicates 300 meters northwest is a stash for ammo/ meds/ food)

3) mark locations for yourself (i.e. stash some stuff in the middle of the woods and be able to find it again, while you are heading back to a city with an empty backpack to look for other items)

4) leave some warning on city signs/ houses in the outskirt and tell people to stay away or face the danger of getting shot right away when you enter as some clan/ squad is claiming this very city their personal looting area at this moment

5) or just mark an area as protected by heroes as an neutral/ safe city, where people can come to trade stuff, have a chitchat, form raiding crews, team up (in this case there would be no need for permanent tradingposts that could get camped by bandits as they just pop up temporarily on some point on the map for a certain timeframe)

Also: as spraycan's can sometimes be found more often than i.e. the fireaxe it would make a great way for people to self-defend (spray someone's head, this person will not die but will be completely/ partially blinded for some time if not wearing a helmet/ mask, if wearing a helmet he will be blind too but can get fixed by taking off the helmet/ mask, stuff then have to get cleaned out with water (desinfect/ alcohol).

Edited by daisho
  • Like 9

If you want self defense I suggest pepper spray more than this .

If you want self defense I suggest pepper spray more than this .

I was thinking about pepper spray but spraycans already are in the game (and could get used for multiple purposes)

There is one reason for why you can't spray walls and stuff with Spray paint. 

The inability for people to keep Dicks and racism out of their online escapades.

• Like 3

There is one reason for why you can't spray walls and stuff with Spray paint. 

The inability for people to keep Dicks and racism out of their online escapades.

True that, while dicks ain't hurting and it would people's own decsision if they wanna waste their spraycan on a dick rather than some message or camo'ing their gears, so be it.

I see a problem with racist slurs and other kind of hatespeech. Good argument. I'm not sure what the percentage of people who'd do that would be though.

Edited by daisho

Who cares about dicks, let's admit, everyone of us would spray atleast one dick playing with mates.

And with the racist slurs, I always think: Who cares? If someone calls me a "damn german nazi" or whatever I just don't care. And if they spray it on a wall in an apocalypse game, what ever. Hunt them down if you want to "do something good" or just ignore it. The positive aspects outweight the negative ones in my opinion.

• Like 7

Another decent question to ask yourself - How often would you be looking for graffiti? A spray can, can only go so far before it's empty, and I doubt many people would decide to carry an inventory full of them just to paint dicks or racist slurs all over the place.

But alas, I agree with Nesuma on this actually. The positive aspects such as warning signs, or hobo markings outweigh the negative ones.

• Like 3

If people are going to make racist remarks in graffiti, there are some good options: Make the graffiti, rather than being a "free draw" thing, actually place decals in text, where you enter text into a box which has a "Nigger"/"Nigga"/"Wog"/Gook" etc. filter for the meaner naughty naughty words, it prevents you from entering it. Also there are other kinds of decals you can place, like directional arrows and smileys and biohazards and stuff. This would save devs having to make a whole "drawing on surfaces" system.

To be honest I think prudishness in terms of racial slurs needs to come to an end-- if someone writes "fuck niggers" on a wall, then wow, you're a hero mate, good for you, such clever, wow. But seeing as people who are going to be racist are going to do it with whatever is available [such as voice chat or their name], just like the same as KoS- there will always be some of those people, not everyone-- then it seems a bit silly to deny all players the right to use a feature just in case. And the way you use a word in today's society changes all the time, as you have some people using racially offensive slurs in a friendly manner to each other. It's a matter of how you use the word- as Shakespeare wrote

What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet

Also OP the spray can mace is a great idea. Although I'm not sure if it's entirely possible, I would like to put forward the idea of propellant-filled spray cans also being explosive, and a crafting ingredient in jerry-rigged bombs.

• Like 3

Dynamic Shapes are a bit difficult to program in, and with a large server, i cant imagine that there would be enough bandwidth to allow for anything in.

It would be possible, however, to create basic shapes like hobo signs, and have them tied to the F keys when the spraycan is in your hand.hobo-glyphs-code.jpg

• Like 3

For sure we have all considered this to be a spray cans primary use however... Dicks, dicks and more dicks is what we would get.  It's a shame isnt it... I was thinking maybe a few basic shapes like arrows or a skull or crucial symbols that you can only paint 1 every hour or something, I dont know just pissing in the wind here folks

El Barto

:D

But the mess would get out of hand too quick.

So even though i like it: No ;)

• Like 1

Well to reduce the risk of running into dicks all the time there could be some premade signs, even CS 1.6 had it, shouldn't be hard to get implemented (I guess). Maybe have a huge variety to chose from in the character menu before you join a server, where you can pick like 3 or 5 for your character to use ingame, so people can't/ have to free draw but still would have a the chance to develop and use a unique code for their group/ clan.

Edited by daisho
  • Like 1

How about adding a watermark to the graffiti that is not visible to other players and the option to report?

So if you see a graffiti with racist comments, report it and hopefully the writer gets banned for putting something stupid like 'I hate ni*****'.

But the question is, where would the line be drawed at what is supposed to be reported and what isn't?

I really like the idea of using a spraycan as defense (spraying in peoples faces)

As far as the graffiti aspect goes - i don´t think it would be possible due to serverside traffic/ netcode.

Just being able to paint a certain range of icons is lame - but better this than no graffiti at all - maybe add some simple shapes like lines so we would at least be able to get a dick-shaped form out of it.

• Like 1

I really like the idea of using a spraycan as defense (spraying in peoples faces)

As far as the graffiti aspect goes - i don´t think it would be possible due to serverside traffic/ netcode.

Just being able to paint a certain range of icons is lame - but better this than no graffiti at all - maybe add some simple shapes like lines so we would at least be able to get a dick-shaped form out of it.

Hahaha... I totally over looked this. I was thinking a few simple icons would work and then I saw this and realized people would just arrange those icons into dicks and hate speech.

Ya'll are missing the real issue.

I have an awesome computer and an awesome connection. If I were to be able to spray enough graffiti in one place, many players who entered that area would have FPS problems while I would not. I could kill them easily.

They, of course, wouldn't be able to limit the amount of spraypainted material in an area and leave any integrity in the system. If there were certain clan markers, they could be removed by emptying a can or two onto the ground nearby, and there would be no way to know for sure if the marker for your stash spot would still be there, etc.