Sign in to follow this  
celticwarrior06 (DayZ)

new to dayz and not sure what to do

Again I am really new to this game but I was in a few small towns when I found a barn I walked up the stairs and found a rifle mosin with 9 bullits could not believe my luck and also found a box with 20 rounds. I then was in a house when I opened the door there were 2 zombies outside they didn't see me so I took out the gun took aim and the gun just clicked when i pressed fire I was like wtf the zombies then seen me, I kept trying to use the gun but it was too late.i then seen on a post you need a mag for the gun is this true and were would I have found one??

also the med box in a house do you need to open them or just press inventory when facing them

if someone could advise me I would really appreciate it

You really need to watch some videos of day z on youtube.Or find someone to guide you in the game.

• Like 2

You really need to watch some videos of day z on youtube.Or find someone to guide you in the game.

Nooo! You're only new and completely lost in DayZ once, and IMO that's when the game's at its best.

Just know that loot only respawns when the servers restart so if you want to find food to get yourself started then you're gonna have to get off the coast where everyone spawns as those towns will have been looted already. And to load a Mosin you need to drag the rounds onto the rifle in your inventory.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 4

There's a lot you will need to pick up as you go; the game throws you in the deep end as far as info is concerned, and you'll need to be willing to sacrifice a few lives' worth of stuff before you really start caring about your gear to work out how things operate.

There's a few basics you will need to know off the bat:

- The DayZ 101: If you start the game expecting people to be courteous, polite, or fair, you're going to have a bad time. A lot of us shoot on sight and quite a few are pricks to boot who will do it simply to piss you off. Treat every player you meet as a possible threat, moreso if they are armed. Moreso if their weapon is a gun.

- If you find yourself getting frustrated navigating, look up one of the Chernarus loot maps on the net. A quick google search should find you what you need. This will tell you roughly where you are if you can identify major landmarks such as industrial or medical buildings in cities, or mountains and forests in rural areas.

- Once you know the map, avoid the Chernarus Ghetto (the cities Chernogorsk and Elektrovadorsk, and their surrounding areas) at all costs. They are a meat grinder for players such as yourself, and snipers love to camp them to shoot people running around in the city.

- This game is a hell of a lot easier with multiple people. You'll probably be well served sacrificing a few lives trying to interact with people, in order to find someone you can play with in the long term who isn't going to stab you in the back. As a general rule, most of the pricks who will kill you for your stuff will do so immediately or shortly after meeting you; the likelihood grows progressively smaller the longer they travel with you. If you make it to a few days playing with someone without them trying to kill you, you've probably found someone you can add to your contacts list and play with regularly.

- Don't be too concerned stacking up on ammo. That's not to say don't pick up whatever you find; rather, be willing to drop some if you need food or utilities such as can openers and don't have space for them. Ammo is useful, but mainly for taking out other players. Once you know the melee mechanics, you'll get used to dodging and attacking zombies without taking damage. If you find a gun you think you'll keep, don't stack up on other ammunition unless you're trying to hide it or collecting it for a friend's gun. It's still pretty plentiful at the moment, and you won't need all you find.

- Running, at least in my opinion, is the cure-all to all situations where zombies are after you. Crawling and crouch-walking to get past zombies tends to be tedious and a waste of time at the moment, as you can outdistance them easily while running and lose them by weaving between objects.

The rest you'll have to pick up as you go, but this should cover at least some of the more critical basics. Good luck, and don't become too attached to your gear/progress. Everyone dies eventually.

Nooo! You're only new and completely lost in DayZ once, and IMO that's when the game's at its best.

Just know that loot only respawns when the servers restart so if you want to find food to get yourself started then you're gonna have to get off the coast where everyone spawns as those towns will have been looted already. And to load a Mosin you need to drag the rounds onto the rifle in your inventory.

Good luck and have fun!

+1 The learning curve is steep, but it's fun and exciting

My main bit of advice is dont get attached to your items, you will die and you will lose it all, just have fun through the game, its much better at the start when you know very little :)

There's a lot you will need to pick up as you go; the game throws you in the deep end as far as info is concerned, and you'll need to be willing to sacrifice a few lives' worth of stuff before you really start caring about your gear to work out how things operate.

There's a few basics you will need to know off the bat:

- The DayZ 101: If you start the game expecting people to be courteous, polite, or fair, you're going to have a bad time. A lot of us shoot on sight and quite a few are pricks to boot who will do it simply to piss you off. Treat every player you meet as a possible threat, moreso if they are armed. Moreso if their weapon is a gun.

- If you find yourself getting frustrated navigating, look up one of the Chernarus loot maps on the net. A quick google search should find you what you need. This will tell you roughly where you are if you can identify major landmarks such as industrial or medical buildings in cities, or mountains and forests in rural areas.

- Once you know the map, avoid the Chernarus Ghetto (the cities Chernogorsk and Elektrovadorsk, and their surrounding areas) at all costs. They are a meat grinder for players such as yourself, and snipers love to camp them to shoot people running around in the city.

- This game is a hell of a lot easier with multiple people. You'll probably be well served sacrificing a few lives trying to interact with people, in order to find someone you can play with in the long term who isn't going to stab you in the back. As a general rule, most of the pricks who will kill you for your stuff will do so immediately or shortly after meeting you; the likelihood grows progressively smaller the longer they travel with you. If you make it to a few days playing with someone without them trying to kill you, you've probably found someone you can add to your contacts list and play with regularly.

- Don't be too concerned stacking up on ammo. That's not to say don't pick up whatever you find; rather, be willing to drop some if you need food or utilities such as can openers and don't have space for them. Ammo is useful, but mainly for taking out other players. Once you know the melee mechanics, you'll get used to dodging and attacking zombies without taking damage. If you find a gun you think you'll keep, don't stack up on other ammunition unless you're trying to hide it or collecting it for a friend's gun. It's still pretty plentiful at the moment, and you won't need all you find.

- Running, at least in my opinion, is the cure-all to all situations where zombies are after you. Crawling and crouch-walking to get past zombies tends to be tedious and a waste of time at the moment, as you can outdistance them easily while running and lose them by weaving between objects.

The rest you'll have to pick up as you go, but this should cover at least some of the more critical basics. Good luck, and don't become too attached to your gear/progress. Everyone dies eventually.

thanks alot that should help me get round

Especially if your playing SA the game will start to drag once you've managed to get yourself some gear. You'll probably find yourself choosing from one three categories. Hero, Bandit, and Survivor.

Heros are the folks that try to save people like you from bandits, or like the Medics who help others recover from injuries so they don't have to respawn. This is perhaps one of the hardest roles to play as. You are really forced to put yourself out there, you can't really kill someone unless they are a proven bandit or shoot at you or your friends.

Bandits are the opposite of Heroes and come in many differant flavors. There are those that hold up and rob you. There are those who kill you and then rob you. And there are those who just kill you because they can. I feel that being a bandit is likely pretty easy, but i have never cared to try it so idk.

Survivors take every situation on a case by case basis. They don't follow any particular attitude towards other players like Heroes and Bandits do and do whatever the situation requires in order to have the best chance of not dying. If that means killing a man for a 9v battery to power your flashlight for the night then so be it, but only because there was no other way. This is the way i play, i never betray the people i'm traveling with, and i will help others when i deem that it is safe to do so but i will kill if i feel like i have to.

• Like 1