River Lizard

Hey...I see you....put your hands up.....

I understand your perspective but I do not agree with your reaction to being held up.

I HAVE come across people who tried to hold me up. One guy shot at me while I was at the fountain in Elektro.. I ran around a building, and he came running after me, shooting at me again while he told me to "STOP MOVING!", as if he was going to take me hostage. I promptly put 2 Mosin shots into his chest, and informed him over direct chat, "That's not how this works. You don't have control over the situation."

Bottom line is, there are two ways you get out of becoming someones hostage:

1. They are bad at this game, and they let you get away or kill them because they do not know how to properly control the situation. (Example above.)

2. They are good at this game, and you trying to run will only result in your death.. Where as, you cooperating with them may result in torture, or it may result in them being very helpful towards you.

Either way... What are you really losing? If someone wants to kill you, odds are they won't bother holding you up in the first place.. They'll just camp in an area where you don't see them and shoot you while you're not paying attention. If someone wants to have a player interaction, however, they HAVE to get in close and communicate with you. 

Yes, there are assholes out there who will hold you up just to torture you. Popular YouTubers like DevilDogGamer are perfect examples of this kind of asshole. But I assure you, you aren't going to successfully run from DevilDogGamer, as he travels with a pack of assholes and all of them enjoy shooting undergeared players for "good content."

Then, there are players like myself and the few guys I roll with.. We would rather teach you something about the game and possibly get you to join our TS and become a part of a community, than feed you disinfectant for....what purpose exactly? Oh yes, to satisfy our sadistic urges.. Yeah, not everyone is like that, and when you assume everyone is you are robbing yourself of potentially good experiences, as well as the potentially bad ones.

Essentially, it's kind of like saying "Oh my god, this girl broke my heart.. I've had my heart broken so many times. All girls are evil bitches, I'm just going to kiss guys from now on."

Well I don't see why you don't agree with me not wanting to waste my time with someone who wants to hold me up, but if your idea of fun is taking commands from someone then by all means you do that.  I don't see that as any kind of fun.  As I said I don't mind getting gear again, I'm not here for your enjoyment so you or anyone one else isn't going to EVER hold me up.  If you tell me to disarm myself your hostile and I will shoot you when I have a chance.  You never answered why you don't tell the person you are dropping YOUR gun and coming out to see them.  You want them to trust you but you don't trust them, that's what I don't get.  True show of faith is you drop YOUR weapon and we can talk.  I am willing to bet you don't do that ever so I don't ever see me doing that either.

Pointing a gun at someone and telling them to unarm is a hostile act, might as well just shoot me it will teach me to be more careful next time.  If you try to hold me up one of us is going to end up dead OR I'll get away at no point am I spending my time doing what some guy "commands" me to do and saying "yea this rocks, give me more of this fun".  Not happening.  If you can't see that concept isn't fun then so be it, but I go back to the fact when you run across someone next time you drop YOUR weapon and show the good faith then come talk to me.

Well I don't see why you don't agree with me not wanting to waste my time with someone who wants to hold me up, but if your idea of fun is taking commands from someone then by all means you do that.  I don't see that as any kind of fun.  As I said I don't mind getting gear again, I'm not here for your enjoyment so you or anyone one else isn't going to EVER hold me up.  If you tell me to disarm myself your hostile and I will shoot you when I have a chance.  You never answered why you don't tell the person you are dropping YOUR gun and coming out to see them.  You want them to trust you but you don't trust them, that's what I don't get.  True show of faith is you drop YOUR weapon and we can talk.  I am willing to bet you don't do that ever so I don't ever see me doing that either.

Pointing a gun at someone and telling them to unarm is a hostile act, might as well just shoot me it will teach me to be more careful next time.  If you try to hold me up one of us is going to end up dead OR I'll get away at no point am I spending my time doing what some guy "commands" me to do and saying "yea this rocks, give me more of this fun".  Not happening.  If you can't see that concept isn't fun then so be it, but I go back to the fact when you run across someone next time you drop YOUR weapon and show the good faith then come talk to me.

I don't drop my gun because I know I am friendly and will only use it if someone else is hostile. I do not know that about the other person.. They could be hostile or they could be friendly. If they drop their gun, they're friendly.. If they don't, they're hostile. 

There's only 1 thing you have to trust if I am holding you up, and that's that I will shoot and hit you if you don't drop it... So you might as well.

I don't drop my gun because I know I am friendly and will only use it if someone else is hostile. I do not know that about the other person.. They could be hostile or they could be friendly. If they drop their gun, they're friendly.. If they don't, they're hostile. 

There's only 1 thing you have to trust if I am holding you up, and that's that I will shoot and hit you if you don't drop it... So you might as well.

Now you reason like those who justify random killing by ''knowing'' that they are ''hostile''. You can always do it, of course, but no, they have to come to the forum and tell us of their noble deeds...

If I don't drop my gun (which I will not do for a rather obvious reason) then that does not make me ''hostile''. If you shoot me because I did not drop my gun on the ground, then you are hostile because you kill people for not dropping their guns, which no one will do (for a rather obvious reason).

I ''might not as well'' drop my gun, because the most likely outcome of that is you handcuffing me and feeding me bleach.

If you want to go around and murder everyone, no one can stop you from trying, but don't pretend that you are a ´´friendly´´ ´´honorable´´player that is misunderstood by the world and only want their fellow survivors to drop their guns so that we all can be peaceful...

Now you reason like those who justify random killing by ''knowing'' that they are ''hostile''. You can always do it, of course, but no, they have to come to the forum and tell us of their noble deeds...

If I don't drop my gun (which I will not do for a rather obvious reason) then that does not make me ''hostile''. If you shoot me because I did not drop my gun on the ground, then you are hostile because you kill people for not dropping their guns, which no one will do (for a rather obvious reason).

I ''might not as well'' drop my gun, because the most likely outcome of that is you handcuffing me and feeding me bleach.

If you want to go around and murder everyone, no one can stop you from trying, but don't pretend that you are a ´´friendly´´ ´´honorable´´player that is misunderstood by the world and only want their fellow survivors to drop their guns so that we all can be peaceful...

When we see someone we tell them to put their weapon away we assure them we arnt going to kill them, we tell them straight away they are free to leave unharmed or if they want to stick around or if they need something they have to put their gun away when they approach and we will do the same

Although to be fair we always have a hidden guy ready to shoot them of they draw on us, so we don't let our guard down even though they think we have

We tell them if they raise or point their gun in our direction we will kill them

That's as friendly as it gets if you want to both survive and play friendly

Like I said, they eiether leave freely or they comply if they want to talk

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

You have missed the point. It's really not that complicated.

Firstly, I do not "pretend" to be friendly and honorable. I help people who cooperate. What you're failing to realize is that if I am going to hold somebody up, it's because *I* have control of the situation. And if I have control over the situation, your options are limited. You can cooperate and survive, or you can not cooperate and die. So, dropping  your gun is for my protection because, as I stated, I know that I will only shoot you if you pose a threat, where as you may be the type of player who will shoot me at the first opportunity. You don't need protection from me, but I need protection from you. You may FEEL that you need protection from me.. You may not WANT to drop your weapon.. And that's your choice.. But the result of you not dropping your weapon is that you die; because if you do not drop your weapon I must assume that you intend on using it at the first opportunity. 

There are only 2 real possible outcomes: You die, or you survive. If you do not drop your weapon, YOU DEFINITELY DIE.. If you DO drop your weapon, you still MIGHT die, but you may also not die and earn a friend. 

I am not looking for excuses to shoot players. I am not "hostile" for protecting myself by requiring that you drop your gun. If a police officer pulls you over and asks you to disarm yourself, it doesn't make him hostile.. It makes him cautious and smart; and if you're not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about. 

If YOU had the drop on me, and had control over the situation,  I would drop my weapon, because I know when someone has bested me. If you don't want to be held up: Don't put yourself in a position to be bested.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

When we see someone we tell them to put their weapon away we assure them we arnt going to kill them, we tell them straight away they are free to leave unharmed or if they want to stick around or if they need something they have to put their gun away when they approach and we will do the same

Although to be fair we always have a hidden guy ready to shoot them of they draw on us, so we don't let our guard down even though they think we have

We tell them if they raise or point their gun in our direction we will kill them

That's as friendly as it gets of you want to both survive and play friendly

Like I said, they eiether leave freely or they comply of they want to talk

The only problem with this, and armed players, is that they may attempt to flank around you and kill you anyway.. this is why I feel it's necessary to disarm them first, talk to them, and figure them out before I cut them loose. If you never disarm them then you're giving clever players a method of coming back to kill you.

Run forrest run like there is no tomorrow then stop somewhere and look back. If you are safe show them your middle finger.. ps: we have balls of steel..

Yeah that's true

So far we've not had anyone backstab us this way, sometimes they have followed us afterwards and we've had to kill them but everyone that's talked to is has put their weapons away and not tried anything

I'm usually doing the over watch with a long range scope so most of the time we have got a decent view of the area

Yeah that's true

So far we've not had anyone backstab us this way, sometimes they have followed us afterwards and we've had to kill them but everyone that's talked to is has put their weapons away and not tried anything

I'm usually doing the over watch with a long range scope so most of the time we have got a decent view of the area

You played the Mod as well (based on your post count), so you know how it is.. A lot of players were really clever.. I once had a guy announcing that he needed Antibiotics in Side Chat.. so I went out of my way to drive to him and give him a blood bag and antibiotics.. When I went to blood bag him he pulled out a Glock18 and started unloading on me. Fortunately, I had a hero skin, so the bullets did minimal damage and I survived the encounter. 

I can't wait until the Dev team adds more zombies, more infections, and more ways for people to get screwed up medically.. When that happens, people are going to need heroes and start to respect them, rather than accusing them of being whiney pussies and acting like internet badasses because they're so independent.

Funny thing, most of the videos of people playing DayZ I see, you see constant health and thirst notifications.. you see people being sick.. you see them displaying a general lack of game knowledge and how to keep themselves healthy. When the game gets harsher, these "run and gun" types are going to have some real problems.

Well, I agree with you in theory, but, in my experience, you are going to meet no friendlies at all if you want them to drop their weapons. Lowering them or putting them on the back is something I understand that you would want to see them do, but no one is simply going to put their weapon on their ground.

I think you need to consider a few things:

Firstly, your ´´assurances´´mean nothing. You have played DayZ. You know. If I would trust people in the first place, I would have no problem with dropping my gun for the sake of peace. Really, surviving is nice. I want to live.

I have a much greater chance of survival through not dropping my weapon. I think you see all of this from your view point, from your knowledge. If I drop my gun, I am completely at your mercy. Sure, you can be nice and not a crazed sadist, but how would I know?

If I keep my gun, you might kill me, or maybe you are out of ammunition, want to threaten me with your gun, then handcuff me and feed me bleach, and then take all my pristine ammunition. Or you might be a horrible shot, which a lot of people seem to be in this game. Or you might understand that I believe you are going to handcuff me and feed me bleach, hold your fire for a few seconds and let me tell you why I do not drop my gun. That would be great.

Well, I agree with you in theory, but, in my experience, you are going to meet no friendlies at all if you want them to drop their weapons. Lowering them or putting them on the back is something I understand that you would want to see them do, but no one is simply going to put their weapon on their ground.

I think you need to consider a few things:

Firstly, your ´´assurances´´mean nothing. You have played DayZ. You know. If I would trust people in the first place, I would have no problem with dropping my gun for the sake of peace. Really, surviving is nice. I want to live.

I have a much greater chance of survival through not dropping my weapon. I think you see all of this from your view point, from your knowledge. If I drop my gun, I am completely at your mercy. Sure, you can be nice and not a crazed sadist, but how would I know?

If I keep my gun, you might kill me, or maybe you are out of ammunition, want to threaten me with your gun, then handcuff me and feed me bleach, and then take all my pristine ammunition. Or you might be a horrible shot, which a lot of people seem to be in this game. Or you might understand that I believe you are going to handcuff me and feed me bleach, hold your fire for a few seconds and let me tell you why I do not drop my gun. That would be great.

I've met plenty of friendlies.. As I've said in several posts; If people want to kill you they generally won't bother holding you up, if you're a geared player. They'll just shoot you instead. Most of the people who get fed bleach and rotten fruit are fresh spawns, because it's much easier for bandits to harass people who have no gear.. If you're geared, generally they just shoot you.

Yes, what you say is true.

But how many friendlies have you met? Are you seriously meaning that if you come across an armed player and tell them to drop their gun, they comply?

It's certainly easy to harass a geared player if you just made the player drop their gear...

Yes, what you say is true.

But how many friendlies have you met? Are you seriously meaning that if you come across an armed player and tell them to drop their gun, they comply?

It's certainly easy to harass a geared player if you just made the player drop their gear...

Yes.. I told a story earlier in this thread about meeting a guy at Kamenka military base that I held up and got him to join TS and become a regular on the server I play on. I have probably 20+ people on my Steam friends list that I have met through DayZ. There are friendly people all over.

And, as I said.. if you wanted to harass a player, you wouldn't approach them and ask them to drop their gun.. you would just go harass fresh spawns on the coast. Most bandits will just shoot a geared player on sight.

You should be happy there are people like this in the game.

Trying to interact, revealing when they are.

This gives you a chance to live, if I want someone's gear I won't be asking them to stop, I'll hide, aim carefully, and finish you with one six, possibly seven bullets.

fix't

That's as friendly as it gets if you want to both survive and play friendly

Like I said, they eiether leave freely or they comply if they want to talk

Exactly this. If both people lower/put away their guns, they can then have a civilized conversation. If someone tells me to "drop my gun" he might as well just shoot me and save time. I won't shoot other players unless I have no other choice, but I won't let them render me helpless either!

• Like 1

Well I don't know... if people would just drop their guns when threatened and I was an evil bandit sadist, I would take use of that, and since I then somehow think force feeding random people random stuff is fun...

I am sure you understand why people might not drop their weapons when threatened, however nice you may be. If you come across geared players who regularly react in that way, then I am genuinely surprised, because every one on the forum and every encounter in-game has to me pointed that the general consensus of the players are to do exactly opposite of what you seem to think the right way to be friendly. I understand the need to control the situation, but forcing the player to surrender their weapons seems to me like an excellent way for two ´´friendlies´´to get into unnecessary combat with eachother.

Exactly this. If both people lower/put away their guns, they can then have a civilized conversation. If someone tells me to "drop my gun" he might as well just shoot me and save time. I won't shoot other players unless I have no other choice, but I won't let them render me helpless either!

I agree 100%...if someone is going to ask me to drop my weapon....then they should drop theirs too, if not...freakin' start shooting because I'm not dropping anything!  I'll put my gun away if the other person puts theirs away too.  It's the only level playing field for both parties and it also shows that the other person does want to interact with another player. 

Edited by River Lizard

I generally say go ahead and shoot me. That tends to weird them out and make them get away from you if you are so willing to die you might do something crazy and go after them :p

• Like 1

So your a hypocrite?  They don't know your friendly or hostile anymore then you know they are.  Your the worst kind of bandit, the kind that won't admit it and uses "hold ups" as a way to justify shooting people.  I'd rather you just admit you were a bandit and that you will kill someone before they shoot at you then put on this facade of being so high and mighty good.  At least I wait till someone is hostile at me before I shoot them, you shoot someone just for not obeying your demands.  

*edit*

Also, as I have stated before, a good amount of people that hold up someone (except on HC servers) don't really have a shot at them.   They are looking around a corner or over a fence or such so to be honest the person being "held up" isn't really in any danger if they realize where they are and run the correct way (which is going to be the way they are facing because the bandit (if you hold someone up your a bandit) is going to be behind them.  So your chances of running and surviving are much better then they want you to think.

Edited by StoutAle
  • Like 1

So your a hypocrite?  They don't know your friendly or hostile anymore then you know they are.  Your the worst kind of bandit, the kind that won't admit it and uses "hold ups" as a way to justify shooting people.  I'd rather you just admit you were a bandit and that you will kill someone before they shoot at you then put on this facade of being so high and mighty good.  At least I wait till someone is hostile at me before I shoot them, you shoot someone just for not obeying your demands.  

*edit*

Also, as I have stated before, a good amount of people that hold up someone (except on HC servers) don't really have a shot at them.   They are looking around a corner or over a fence or such so to be honest the person being "held up" isn't really in any danger if they realize where they are and run the correct way (which is going to be the way they are facing because the bandit (if you hold someone up your a bandit) is going to be behind them.  So your chances of running and surviving are much better then they want you to think.

Haha.. I love how you call me a bandit for holding people up, offering them food, drink, and medical supplies.. Sometimes even guns and ammo.

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of DayZ.. Clearly you're new here, so let me explain:

You cannot trust anyone. I cannot trust you. You cannot trust me. But if I sneak up on you and catch you with your pants down, I have the option of either ignoring you and running away, shooting you without saying anything, or holding you up.

If I want to help you, I have to hold you up first. If I walk out into the middle of a parking lot, put my hands up in the air, and say "HEY! I'm friendly! I want to give you some goodies!", there's a good chance I will be shot and killed by UNFRIENDLY PLAYERS. This is why it's necessary to hold someone up. I have to make them drop their gun and start talking to them in a place that's safe for me, before I can lower my weapon.

As I said earlier in this thread: If you do not want to get held up by friendly players or otherwise, then you should learn to play better so that people do not get the drop on you. You should also be happy that if you do get held up, you're at least getting the opportunity to make a decision and if you decide to run, you better be prepared for MOST players to assume you are running because you're NOT friendly, and they will likely shoot you.

You are ASSUMING that you can safely run because you think they're using 3rd person to see you, and there is only one of them.. How do you know you're not surrounded by 2, 3, 4, or even more guy? How do you know they don't have all the exits to an area covered?  How do you know they weren't competitive FPS players with deadly aim? 

The answer is: YOU DON'T. So, good luck with running. It might work, sometimes.. Other times it won't. It's YOUR choice.

The reason I shoot people is NOT because I am a bandit: It's due to self-preservation, which is what this game is about. Perhaps when Rocket introduces more diseases and sicknesses and more brutal zombies, you'll be HAPPY to be held up by a hero, and I'm sure you'll be happy to drop your precious weapon when it's possible that you may receive medical help if you cooperate.

edit: Also, NO, I'm not a hypocrite. If I get held up, I DROP MY WEAPON AND TELL THEM I'M FRIENDLY.. If I get fed Disinfectant (never happened to me), then I survive because I usually have Healthy status.. if they torture me and kill me, SO FUCKING WHAT? If I try to run and get shot, I'm just as dead.

Edited by Etherimp

You expect me to drop my weapon as you force me to act as I don't want to when you could have just left me alone.  You make demands and in your words if I don't follow them you will shoot me.  That's a bandit.  Color it however you want, but it's being a bandit to force people to drop there weapon and do as you want.  You won't drop YOUR weapon when we meet but you demand I drop mine or you shoot me (again your words) even if I haven't done anything hostile.  Yes, you sir are a bandit even if you rob from the rich and give to the poor your a bandit. 

It's bandit like mentality to think that just because someone ran they are not friendly.  What seems more friendly "stop and drop your weapon" or someone running from someone making demands to drop your weapon?  On sounds hostile the other sounds like a survival instinct.  So you use all this to justify shooting someone that simply doesn't do what you ask of them.  Your a bandit, people do stuff on your terms or you shoot them. 

You say if you step out and raise your hands unarmed you will you could be shot by unfriendly people.  Ya know what, if someone demands I drop my weapon I could be shot by them, what's the difference?  You take the fact that YOU know your friendly and act like that's the beat all to end all when in all honesty you create the conflict to start.  I have a question for you, do you hold up geared people or only newer players? Because if you hold up obviously geared players then to what end? You going to give them stuff they already have?  Your premise is you hold people up to help them, but if you held me up I don't need your help (as is obvious by my gear) so what is your excuse for doing that (if you do)?

You expect me to drop my weapon as you force me to act as I don't want to when you could have just left me alone.  You make demands and in your words if I don't follow them you will shoot me.  That's a bandit.  Color it however you want, but it's being a bandit to force people to drop there weapon and do as you want.  You won't drop YOUR weapon when we meet but you demand I drop mine or you shoot me (again your words) even if I haven't done anything hostile.  Yes, you sir are a bandit even if you rob from the rich and give to the poor your a bandit. 

It's bandit like mentality to think that just because someone ran they are not friendly.  What seems more friendly "stop and drop your weapon" or someone running from someone making demands to drop your weapon?  On sounds hostile the other sounds like a survival instinct.  So you use all this to justify shooting someone that simply doesn't do what you ask of them.  Your a bandit, people do stuff on your terms or you shoot them. 

You say if you step out and raise your hands unarmed you will you could be shot by unfriendly people.  Ya know what, if someone demands I drop my weapon I could be shot by them, what's the difference?  You take the fact that YOU know your friendly and act like that's the beat all to end all when in all honesty you create the conflict to start.  I have a question for you, do you hold up geared people or only newer players? Because if you hold up obviously geared players then to what end? You going to give them stuff they already have?  Your premise is you hold people up to help them, but if you held me up I don't need your help (as is obvious by my gear) so what is your excuse for doing that (if you do)?

Maybe you should read the remainder of the thread, as I have already gone over that. Clearly you're late to the party. Furthermore, you obviously didn't play the mod, so you're a little ignorant of how things work and what bandits actually are.

ban·dit
ˈbandit/
noun

1. 1.
    a robber or outlaw belonging to a gang and typically operating in an isolated or lawless area.

I'm not a bandit. I don't steal from people. I don't belong to a gang. I am not an outlaw. I do not murder people for their loot or for my own pleasure. If I come across a "survivor", and I hold them up, and they refuse to cooperate, I make a judgment call on a case to case basis whether I feel they warrant shooting or not. If they refuse to cooperate, that is a sign that they are not friendly. This is where self-preservation comes in.

Furthermore, you obviously do not understand what a hold-up entails. If you are geared, and I hold you up, it's because I want a player interaction. I will ASK you if you have food and drink. I will ASK you if you are healthy. I will ask you if you need any ammo or weapons. IF you don't, then I will tell you to stay put, and wait for me to leave.. Once I am gone you are free to retrieve your weapon and go about your business.

If it makes you feel better to consider me a bandit, feel free to do so. Just know that you're wrong. I had 11k humanity in the mod and only killed survivors when they had opened fire on me first. I've learned through experience and trial and error the proper way to conduct a hold-up. 

Or if they don't cooperate because they too want to survive and not lose all of their stuff thus putting themselves into more situations where they may have to deal with people to get geared back up.

I'm never shoot first but, if I'm geared, I'm not going to willingly let you rob me, there's no point in having my character survive if I have to basically start over anyways. I'd rather take the chance of running and getting away or killing you and getting away.

No he's not a bandit by the sound of things

I usually say hello if I'm behind cover before telling them tat we can both put away our weapons and talk the out without bloodshed

So if I say "hello"

The guy draws his gun and starts looking around and doesn't respond

Do I'll say "hey I'm friendly, there's no need to act hostile so please put your gun away or I'll have to kill you"

Keeps looking around without responding, starts moving towards where I am

So I peek out and shoot him

Now, if your classing someone like me a bandit, then you really do know nothing about this game

All he has to do us say "hello" back and we can work out some kind of arrangement

And no, people like me can't leave people alone

We hunt bandits and help friendly survivors so we approach most people to see if they need help Ect and if they act hostile, well it's usually one less bandit people have to worry about for a while

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

Unless they have an m4 and loads of ammo your chances of running and surviving are quite high. Hitting someone that is running "full retard" is not the easiest thing to do.

At least until there are some penalties for sprinting everywhere, like increased energy/water drain or stamina drain. :)