Sign in to follow this  
f4stunter

Ingame Map Language

I like the realism and don't mind all the signs in the game being in Russian, but why in the world would a map you find laying around in Russia about Russia be translated to English?  I ran around for 3 days trying to figure out how to match the ingame map up to what city/town I was coming into.  Finally I had to google and find the dayzdb map that has both translations to find I was in Chernogorsk.  You should not have to run an external link to somebody elses site to translate location.  I believe the in-game Map city names should be in Russian to match the signs or there is no use in having one.

1. Its not Russia, its Chernarus

2. Dont use the in game map, use the steam web browser.

3. Maybe these maps were made for toursists ? :D

4. After some time you wont need the map anyways.

Edited by So Sexy

hehe, look at your english and american players struggleing to translate simple cyrilic letters.While we from countries whom main langauge is not English learned to speak, read and write in English in a atleast medium level.

Come on its really simple cyrilic letters, I am not Russian and still I can no problem read and translate all the signs in English, or Russian.

Edited by Silentine
  • Like 2

hehe, look at your english and american players struggleing to translate simple cyrilic letters.While we from countries whom main langauge is not English learned to speak, read and write in English in a atleast medium level.

Come on its really simple cyrilic letters, I am not Russian and still I can no problem read and translate all the signs in English, or Russian.

Cyrillic is hard to learn for people who have never been in touch with it, not to mention the fact that its silly to presume that someone will start learning it just for a game.

Cyrillic is hard to learn for people who have never been in touch with it, not to mention the fact that its silly to presume that someone will start learning it just for a game.

Why do you think I know English? :P

• Like 1

We don't need to learn other peoples languages as we successfully forced our language on to others...

• Like 1

Not really...if you want to you can do it.

We don't need to learn other peoples languages as we successfully forced our language on to others...

Actually not...people just started to learn it out of pity because the english speakers would have stayed isolated otherwise. :lol:  :P

You have washed ashore in a foreign country and are lucky enough to find a tourist map.

Be grateful.

It is not a tourist map but if it were, a tourist map would have both translations.  It's poor design and most previous statements have been just a waste of time.  This is supposed to be the suggestion's thread where we give input to help the developers create or change the game.  If the game is meant to be one language, make it one language.  Otherwise, fix the nuances that are poor design.  Eitherway, having to rely on features external to the game, especially ones offered by someone or company other than the developing entities, is ridiculous and flawed.  It is quite alright to offer those suggestions as a temporary workaround, but to accept that as the definitive is just wrong.

Why do you think I know English? :P

You really cant compare english and russian, russian is spoken in former soviet republics, while english is spoken worldwide.Not to mention the fact that russian is harder to learn than english.

Edited by So Sexy

You really cant compare english and russian, russian is spoken in former soviet republics, while english is spoken worldwide.Not to mention the fact that russian is harder to learn than english.

That last part is so wrong. English is a language that is made up of lots of slang words that were not originally created for the language. This makes English extremely hard to learn.

English and Mandarin are, I believe, rated as the two hardest languages to learn. 

But back to the main point - I agree that the map should read the same as the signs. I hate using the browser, it ruins immersion so I don't do it unless I am seriously lost. I'd much prefer to use the in game map but as I can't translate the letters back to Cyrillic I have no fucking idea what towns I'm in.

Edit: Double post - please delete this one.

Edited by Nicko2580

*at least* (not one word)

*struggling* (no "e" needed when using an "ing" word).

*and I still have no problem reading and translating all of the signs that are either in English or Russian*

You're welcome. :P

And, no I am not trying to be a dick by correcting grammar.  I have a lot of friends over seas and they always have me proof read stuff they write in English.