bad_mojo (DayZ)

Would you play a game with real permadeath?

Totally a hypothetical discussion here. I don't want to turn DayZ into this, I'm just curious how people would feel about a survival game like DayZ that had real permadeath.

For example, a survival game like DayZ, free to play for argument sake. Except when you died, your account gets deleted. Maybe have an invitation system for the game, like beta invites, so people would have to apply and wait to be accepted. This way people can't just create a new account every death and instantly get back in. They could eventually get back in, but it wouldn't be quick or easy.

Would you be willing to play a game like this and risk not being able to play if you died?

What would be the additionnal value between this and how the game allready works (the lose of all progression on death) beside huge amount of pissing off waiting ? (wich is actually not an additionnal value)

said otherwise : what's the fucking point ?

Well you could set it up as when you die you can't join that server again or something. You can't server hop, and when you join a server that's the only server you can play on that server until you die.

That way societies could form and people work together, but if someone dies there's no going back, but they can go to a different server and start again.

Currently DayZ isn't really permadeath, since you can go back to your stuff and still play with your friends no matter how many times you die. It's just a very punishing death.

It's not even very punishing. The number of times I've lost my gear is a small fraction of the number of times I've died. And on this occasions where I did lose it all, I can be back up and running within an hour. It's actually something of a joke.

making an account every time you get death is really a nightmare. maybe if you suffer a penalty time would be interesting but account after account...

no. really bad idea, its not even an idea, your account get deleted after death? f*ck no!

I'd play a game that locked you out for a few hours if you died, but not this. Personally I feel this would be taking things too far.

A game that would recompile the entire world every time I die and generate a new survive by all means world  ? Sure.

Has yet to be done.

No artificial intelligent game engines that can create their own worlds.... yet.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Why isn't every day life (outside of detroit and chicago) like dayz? Because we have laws and punishments. If I were to handcuff one of you and force disinfectant down your throat, i'd go to jail for murder. That being said I probably would, but there would have to be some serious rammifications for anyone that murdered, stole, or assaulted and got caught

Because in video games and online people think they are invincible and can Troll without repercussions, the same people in R/L would get killed trying it or wouldn't dare, or would have different morals. People need to drop this immature troll 'ruin everything for everyone else' attitude that is destroying gaming communities as well as youth culture in general.

The problem is the learning curve. Even the most generic FPS has it's own quirks. If you have a game that rewards your attempts at learning how to play the game by not allowing you to learn how to play the game you have a problem convincing people it's worth it.

I think DayZ has got it pretty close in terms of permanent gear loss. I really don't like the idea that you can die, respawn, then run back to where you died and loot your own body but as it is there is no real work around other than making the map huge so it can take hours to get from one place to another (and by then you'd expect your dead body to have been looted or the server restarted). Of course a bigger map brings in it's own problems. 

Without getting off topic from the original question the answer is actually "no", but purely down to the point that it wouldn't reward people for learning the game mechanics, experimenting and exploring.

Well yes, I am actually already playing it.

It is called life!

ps: Unfortunately no zombies yet!  :P

• Like 2

I'd happily pay and play a game that had a type of perma death.  Something like one life per month.  Sounds like a challenge i'd be up for.  I'd be happy if Dayz was like this.

Hell if i died with 28 days left in the month I'd just do something else and be more careful next time.  No big deal.

well if it's free yes.

But I doubt they'll find any funds when the game population is reduced to 1 lucky bastard.

f2p but after every death you gotta throw some credits (you gain by rewards or thru real money) in the game

like respawn = 10 credits = 5cents or alive for 12h = 5 credits.

sounds fun, probably would play it BUT, hackers, exploiter, buggers, bugs, etc. would make it impossible.

I would never play a game that had micro-transactions. Fine the base game might be free and sure the developers deserve recompense for their efforts however any game that bases the ability of those in the game world on the amount of relevant income they have is simply not a game community I want to be part of. 

Didn't Hideo Kojima once said he wanted to make a game with permadeath like this? I guess some sane people slapped some sense into him. I have been thinking about a semi-permanent MMO where servers bloom and die like flowers... that's a bit vague. Let me give an example; a zombie game; people start out and do stuff, but once you're dead you cannot rejoin that server; the zombies grow in numbers  effectively making the map smaller and smaller, eventually everyone on the server is dead and it'll restart the cycle... how long per cycle? A week? month? year maybe? This idea has some issues though: people would be pissed if they can't play with their friends until the next cycle or they need to get all their friends to a new server when one of them dies. How would you handle people logging on a server for the first time when the cycle is about 75% in? And some other issues I can't be arsed to pen down.

So in conclusion OP's form of Permadeath seems like a chore, but there is some room for harsher mechanics to induce more rage on people who die.

edit: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/kojimas-mad-zombie-game-idea

Edited by JoostVoordeel