Sign in to follow this  
agulot

WHy do we need Server restarts?

I understand why it had to be done for the ArmA 2 mod, as ArmA wasn't designed to run that long for missions. But given that this is a StandAlone game, do we really need server restarts? With Gear/Zeds now respawning after a given time, can we remove the need to restart the server every 4 hours? It just sucks to be stuck in a gun fight and then suddenly ... red chain ... server restart. really? that just sucks. 

Opinions?

Gear isnt respawning atm, and in general server restarts are needed to clear it from unneeded stuff if I understand it correctly.

Edited by So Sexy

DayZ is based off of ArmA2's infrastructure, so it still struggled with prolonged uptimes from time to time. Zombies are only respawning in experimental at the moment, and loot respawn is still on the to-do list.

Zombies respawn on experimental only, but no loot yet. It has already been said that the restarts will stop once loot and zombie respawning is finished.

Perhaps i made a wrong choice of words, of course i don't mean what you think.Respawn as in, the server restarts to create/spawn items.This happens at a given hour.During the 'up' time the loot doesn't respawn.Servers respawn because otherwise at some point there would be no loot at all.

Edited by SoldierHair

Zombies respawn on experimental only, but no loot yet. It has already been said that the restarts will stop once loot and zombie respawning is finished.

That's really up to the admins isn't it? Besides, that's not the only problem. Inventory gets laggy as all shit on Deadpool's (the server that doesn't restart very often) because, as Rocket said in the latest devblog, inventory updates are unconfirmed packet spam (you can actually leverage this against other players if you have the better internet connection). So, at the very least, inventory must switch to a confirmed system in addition to the respawns working for the servers not to require frequent restarts.

But that's just the point, Why can't it be fixed in such a way to remove the need for restarts. It seems it can be done, so looking for Info on other people opinions on IF it can be done, then would you, if you were the admin, want restarts, or let it run 24/7 and only restart after updates?

The point is, server restarts seem to be an annoyance that we have all just accepted, but what if it didn't HAVE to be. Why should we accept it now (yes this is alpha and i understand it's need right this exact moment.) 

That's really up to the admins isn't it? Besides, that's not the only problem. Inventory gets laggy as all shit on Deadpool's (the server that doesn't restart very often) because, as Rocket said in the latest devblog, inventory updates are unconfirmed packet spam (you can actually leverage this against other players if you have the better internet connection). So, at the very least, inventory must switch to a confirmed system in addition to the respawns working for the servers not to require frequent restarts.

The item update is being worked on and there is already a possible fix to it in 37.

• Network: Inventory items causing desync due to non-guaranteed update spam (hotfix currently until guaranteed message change is complete)
  • Network: Optimizations to network messaging updates should result in reduced bandwidth and some increases in FPS for clients/server

As for restarts, its not entirely up to the admins. 

Really hope they start working on the night situation although there are thing's that need more urgent attention it would be nice for them to fix it.

The big one: Stability. In an ideal world the server hardware and executable would be rock solid and able to function unaided for ever. Unfortunately we don't live in that world. ATM we reboot because there isn't any loot respawn and Z respawn is v. limited and only available on the Experimental branch, so a four hour restart cycle is being used.

I would hope that at release we'd be able to go days if not weeks between restarts.

If they get the respawns right, then hopefully there wouldn't be any significant difference to a restarted server and one that had been up for weeks, but again that might be in my ideal world.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

If they get the respawns right, then hopefully there wouldn't be any significant difference to a restarted server and one that had been up for weeks, but again that might be in my ideal world.

Yes, that would be perfect I'm off to round up fresh spawns for sacrifice to the DayZ god's in Black Forest.

Gear isnt respawning atm, and in general server restarts are needed to clear it from unneeded stuff if I understand it correctly.

You don't need restarts, a script will do the same and gear shouldn't be respawning that fast and frequent anyway. You guys just want your 100 M4s with magpul stuff.

so we can have loot respawn and all the anti-server hoppers can then rush to it and get loot and claim they dont SH.

its the circle of life, cyma!

The big one: Stability. In an ideal world the server hardware and executable would be rock solid and able to function unaided for ever. Unfortunately we don't live in that world. ATM we reboot because there isn't any loot respawn and Z respawn is v. limited and only available on the Experimental branch, so a four hour restart cycle is being used.

I would hope that at release we'd be able to go days if not weeks between restarts.

I really do believe that weekly restarts/downtime for server maint. is what the Dev team will be going for in the end.

This is just my opinion, my hopes and dreams...

But in the end, there will always be servers that are day time. Even with no restarts.

You don't need restarts, a script will do the same and gear shouldn't be respawning that fast and frequent anyway. You guys just want your 100 M4s with magpul stuff.

Server admins can't run scripts either... 0 customization allowed except server name, hive, and 5 MOTDs

They will only stop when there isn't a point in them.  Even if loot respawns automatically people will still reboot to get it to spawn faster.   So they also have to implement server persistence through restarts.

They will only stop when there isn't a point in them.  Even if loot respawns automatically people will still reboot to get it to spawn faster.   So they also have to implement server persistence through restarts.

Restarting a server to farm loot is against the rules for servers, so restarting a server for loot after respawning loot is put in could cause the server owner to lose the server.