kragz

With Rocket starting his new studio

I'm still failing to grasp how Rocket's opinion on his own game, with reference to what he had envisioned, has any bearing on your enjoyment of the game? Has it suddenly become less enjoyable because he thinks, in his own mind, that it is not the perfect MP game? Has anyone ever thought this was the perfect MP game? I am really trying to understand how his statement that he always thought the concept was flawed has affected your opinion on the game. 

You talk about straw-man arguments?! This whole topic is based on one giant straw-man, and that is your opinion that Dean deliberately tried to decieve the DayZ community by not coming out and saying, that in his mind, the game was a flawed concept. Don't they teach critical thinking in High Schools and Universities anymore?!

More ad hominem. Not at all surprised.

Since when did I say I was content with the game until rocket announced his disappointment? I didn't. Your entire post is a waste of time, and your attempted critique of my education only speaks wonders for your own insecurities.

ad hominem

You know, I am about sick of people using this term on the internet when they clearly have no idea what it means.

Question your own. The problem I am arguing is NOT the current state of the alpha build. If that were so, your point would have some credibilty. My point, for the 1000th time is no where in that disclaimer does it say that he plans to leave development in a year (which is later than he expected, by his own admission!) and that this game will not live up to his initial hopes and dreams - and how this relates to his future credibility as a games developer. 

Is this finally clear now? 

I'm not crying about the state of the game or anything of the sort. I'm merely asking how many of you would think twice about investing in a future Dean Hall project considering what has happened on this one. But this thread has derailed into an emotional shitstorm of fanboy rages arguing strawmen, red herrings and utter nonsense, for the most part. 

Times like these always remind me of good old George Bernard Shaw:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it"

Maybe some day I will learn...

Oooooohhhh... now I get your point. [crickets]

I didn't know who "he" was when I bought the alpha. Honestly, why the fudge would I care? I bought the game to play the concept.

I could care less what he did, or does in the future for that matter.

I hope more dev works takes place and we get to continue to test it in this alpha.

All that being said, Carl Weathers is still ashamed.

You know, I am about sick of people using this term on the internet when they clearly have no idea what it means.

I've tried adding more hominem. Still tasted bad.

Rocket's new studio is dreamy. Love what he did with the drapes. I'm so jelly.

I'll be weary for sure. I still haven't bought the SA and probably never will by the looks of it. It's sad to see how you people react to the OP though, what exactly did he do wrong? That comparison with Peter Molyneux was spot on :D

• Like 1

Question your own. The problem I am arguing is NOT the current state of the alpha build. If that were so, your point would have some credibilty. My point, for the 1000th time is no where in that disclaimer does it say that he plans to leave development in a year (which is later than he expected, by his own admission!) and that this game will not live up to his initial hopes and dreams - and how this relates to his future credibility as a games developer. 

Is this finally clear now? 

I'm not crying about the state of the game or anything of the sort. I'm merely asking how many of you would think twice about investing in a future Dean Hall project considering what has happened on this one. But this thread has derailed into an emotional shitstorm of fanboy rages arguing strawmen, red herrings and utter nonsense, for the most part. 

Times like these always remind me of good old George Bernard Shaw:

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it"

Maybe some day I will learn...

Why would you need a disclaimer stating that he is going to leave the game when he is no longer needed? Why is that important. He has stated emphatically that he will remain with the development as long as he is needed.

Also he has never said that DayZ will not be as good as it can be within the limitations of what it is as a concept. Nor has he said that it will be unfinished. All he has said is that it does not match his vision as the perfect multiplayer game and has fundamental flaws. Not once did he say that the flaws were anything preventing the game from winding up as a finished product, or that the they will result in the game being broken in its finished state. Reading this into his words is pure speculation. All you can really gather is that he views the game as falling short of his vision as the perfect multiplayer game---which I would be inclined to agree with.

More ad hominem. Not at all surprised.

Since when did I say I was content with the game until rocket announced his disappointment? I didn't. Your entire post is a waste of time, and your attempted critique of my education only speaks wonders for your own insecurities.

You continue to deflect responses, tar others with the 'troll' or 'fanboy' tag and cling to your belief that Dean Hall leaving Bohemia's employment after the game has entered a 'polishing' (i.e. Beta) phase is somehow going to hurt the game. You now say that your original question is why this information wasn't made explicitly public before the launch of Alpha, implying you think that the game will be 'less good' (or some other vague feeling) because of this. 

You mention my insecurities, when your own are on clear display. Typical troll topic, like talking to a brick wall. Enjoy your angst over a stupid video game that you paid peanuts to enjoy, I refuse to be further drawn into your obvious troll.

well_bye_2.jpg

I'll be weary for sure. I still haven't bought the SA and probably never will by the looks of it. It's sad to see how you people react to the OP though, what exactly did he do wrong? That comparison with Peter Molyneux was spot on :D

Finally 3 pages and only the 2nd reasoned and sensible response! Maybe there is hope for this community yet!

Yeah, I'll be weary myself and definitely refrain from supporting anything from in it's early stages, that's for sure. I'm not sure why that statement is so unreasonable and worthy of such a hateful response. I'm mostly surprised by those that seem unphased and almost eager to see what he has to offer in the future. That was the purpose of this thread.

• Like 2

Reservedly i will be hesitant on any future "Dean Hall" creations. i've spent 2 years nearly with this project to see it pretty much fall apart. Being on the inside for an amount of time really threw me off Game development and taking part in any early alpha projects because and i'm not afraid to say it... the SA testing was a shambles. 

Best thing... i got a free copy of DayZ... next best thing... it's never getting installed again. 

• Like 3

Being as polite as possible, I think you're not understanding me clearly.

1) I didn't imply at ALL it was happening right away - I based it on Rockets own words that he plans to do so probably at the end of this year. You implied that yourself. Moot point.

2) Leaving development around the time it is due to enter beta is leaving development. Not matter which way you construe it. Moot point.

3)The accusation that he wouldn't, is unfounded. Which is why I repeatedly referred to the likelihood of it happening. Moot point.

All your quoting is to argue against a strawman. The point is, I repeat for the god-knows how many time - Why not state the flawed concept and his plan to leave the project around the time alpha was released? Is that SO unreasonable a request?

Talking to you is like playing chess with a chicken.

The chicken knocks over all the chess pieces, shits on the board, and then struts around as if he won the match.

Moot point.

1) Your wording implied it. Apologies if it wasn't meant that way.

3) "The accusation that he wouldn't, is unfounded." that sentence is a new class of bullshit. In your honor I will call it from now on "kragzshit". Inn such a case you just CAN'T negate a sentence like mine because it will just look ridiculous.

So to the only point I want to answer 2) which I also will answer again with "strawman quotes" from Dean Hall:

Where did I say I was "abandoning" the project?

For starters, it's not my decision who leads the project - it's Bohemia's. And secondly, it needs to be considered who does what at key points in a project's development.

The question I raised is if I am the right person to be leading the project from the end of the year, not that I will be abandoning the project.

You turn your back on them and make plans to leave

I have made the following things clear:

• I intend to return to New Zealand, to stay longer in the Czech Republic will essentially mean seeking citizenship and making my life here away from my family

• I have made myself available to Bohemia as long as I am providing value to the project, however I have highlighted the importance of my role being appropriate to the project's state.

• At some point the skillset for the leader to deliver on the current state of the project may differ from the skillset I have. I have mooted that I believe this point will occur at the end of the year, Bohemia seem to larely agree with this. However, there is flexibility on both sides to see what needs to happen will.

You turn your back on them and make plans to leave

No, I did no such thing. As hurtful as your comments are to me: they completely undermine the efforts and commitments made by the large team who have been working very long hours on DayZ for some time. Saying that my departure from a lead position will not deliver on the promise is directly saying these people do not have the capability to deliver.

You call people who have legitimate concerns over wasting their money on a broken game

Say what you want about me, but the team does not deserve such hateful comments. My ego is not so big that I think the project could not carry on without me. While I believe I am useful and I contribute value as both a designer and a leader, it is unfair to think that others will not be able to meet that role. I need to balance the value to the project of me remaining with the need to be with my family and return home.

The greatest gift I can give the project, and the team, is a longterm vision and culture that would survive long after I am gone. If I have done my job right, I will have forever changed those involved in the project. That is leadership, to grow a team to the point they no longer need you. I'm proud of the people I have worked with. I am proud of what they are accomplishing. And I am proud to say that I can see a day when I am not needed. That is very hard for me to accept, but I know that the day must come. That day is good for the project. That day will not be a pleasant one for me.

I make no apology for saying that, eventually, I need to return home to be with my family. I made commitments to my family for many years, long before DayZ, to return to be with them. I've clearly stated I am prepared to do whatever is needed for DayZ, even if that meant staying on even longer. But I have also clearly stated that I want to return home, to be with my family. I think this is fair, and I fail to see what else I could do in this situation.

To clarify a couple of important points:

• I'm still the project lead of DayZ, and there are currently no plans I'm aware of to replace me in that role.

• Ultimately, even if I did leave - DayZ belongs to Bohemia and there is a very large and ever-growing team of people working on it. While I appreciate the sentiment, It's rather insulting to them to suggest that without me the whole project would suddenly implode. The community, Bohemia, and myself have plenty of time to make plans for the long term development: but whatever happens I want to be back with my family in 2015.

• Bohemia develop's and sells DayZ. I contracted to assist them with this process on a yearly basis. I certainly don't get all, most, or even the large share of sales money. That money goes to the studio which is used to fund development - as it should be. This is used to hire really skilled and awesome people - it's those people who develop the game and I've been working with those talented people to realize the vision.

• I miss home, I want to return to New Zealand to be with my family after being away many years. It is my intention to do that next year, but I'm flexible. I said the same thing internally last year, this year I'm being more deliberate about it so everyone can plan for it.

• I'm very critical of the work I do, I believe that's why I can do work that ends up quite successful. I'm very critical not just of the delivery of work I do but the base concepts behind them. I like to share and discuss those critiques because I think that makes me a better designer through the process.

And now go back and read the the quotes in my second post as well.

Edited by LaughingJack

Maybe there is hope for this community yet!

Suck my balls.

Thats the way this site is...if you say something people don't like they have a right to bash you....By the way Don't buy the game right now the mod has lots of more things to do....SA just looks better.

Edited by Ryu

I'm not sure why that statement is so unreasonable and worthy of such a hateful response. I'm mostly surprised by those that seem unphased and almost eager to see what he has to offer in the future. That was the purpose of this thread.

A large part of this forum has turned into something that has been ridiculed by them to great extent, only they've become so blinded that they can't see it anymore.

What part about "this is an alpha - don't buy it" didn't you understand?

• Like 1

Hello there

Im closing this as the OP did not need a whole new thread for his question and could have added it to the megathread or the "flawed" thread.

Im not going to merge as it wouls mess up both.

Please feel free to restate your case in a more appropriate thread.

Before I recieve any PM's from anyone claiming abuse or fanboy, I want to tidy up the forums. and to keep the rage into the two main threads.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2