Sign in to follow this  
JiJi (DayZ)

Walkie-Talkie

jS4YgDQ.jpg

I'm afraid it would be pointless to attempt Walkie-Talkie to surpass or match voice chat software (such TeamSpeak,Mumble,...) since those items are quite rare ingame and imply drawbacks : limited range 2km, speaking in it could also be heard around, and anyone on the right channel could listen coms.

The idea is to find other uses Walkie-Talkie could do and voice chat software won't.

Walkie-Talkie currently has 8 frequencies : 87.8 - 89.5 - 91.3 - 91.9 - 94.6 - 96.6 - 99.7 - 102.5
ATC towers (airstrips+airfield) should also have VHF/UHF radio materials, let's assume their devices still work (at least receiver speaker) and let's suppose all Chernarus ATC only use 102.5 frequency.
You could use your Walkie-Talkie to announce yourself, frighten, reassure, negociate, with anyone possibly inside - even if they don't have Walkie-Talkie.

Fire Stations could work with another frequency (for instance 99.7),
* You'd better specify which station you require attention if severals within Walkie Talkie range.

Hospitals could work another frequency, and new police stations with another one, etc...

5tMnAyx.jpg  "Why dedicate and sacrifice Walkie-Talkie frequencies while simple ingame voice chat could work aswell?"

- Due to limited voice range you actually have to go very close to be heard, and anyone inside listening you knows you're right next to him. It's dangerous!
Walkie-Talkie allow to extend this range up to 2km.
If lack of available frequencies (8) for usual practice between team member, I think it would not be too difficult to add few more (?)

Edited by JiJi
  • Like 1

This is already in the game.  Portable Radios are being used to replace side chat.  

I have a more basic question:

Why the hell is nobody using the radio? ;( I haven't even recieved some statics. 

And... yes... indeed i put batteries in it ^_^

I have yet to find a radio. Gotta get on that soon.