Sign in to follow this  
Coreeeyy

Operation/Repair Manuals

Hello,

I had a pretty interesting idea that would add a lot of realism to the game when vehicles and aircraft are put into the game. I was thinking there should be repair/operation manuals for fixing a car/aircraft or piloting a helicopter. In my opinion this would add a fun aspect to looking for items and bring more value to your character when you have learned these tools/professions. Also it would be more fun then everything rushing to vehicle/aircraft spawns on server resets.

I would love some feed back from my fellow survivors on this so bring on the comments/criticism. 

Thank you,

[TRiL] Coreeeyy

• Like 1

Neat idea, i think.

Like a military chopper's manual would be hidden in the cockpit or near it in a military tent, possibly in a drawer or on a table.

Ofcource, the controls for vehicles would be widely known, but planes would need very expert repairs, as they are very complex. Like you have to repair a broken piston inside the left wing, and you need to access it trough a little hatch below the wing mabe.

No you don't just bump something after 1hr and 30 mins. That's stupid.

On the subject of your suggestion.

Currently the way things work is "If the player knows then the character knows" so manuals, whist they may be a possible extra set of books, won't be useful except for doing what they do in real life, telling you what you need and what to do to people who don't know/remember. If the books themselves aren't tied to the stat then i'm ok with them being a book to add in, but if the only way to up the stat is with the book (ala Fallout) then no. The current idea is that the stats should be boosted by repition, because the only way to get better at something is "Practice, Practice, Practice".

"Currently the way things work is "If the player knows then the character knows" so manuals, whist they may be a possible extra set of books, won't be useful except for doing what they do in real life, telling you what you need and what to do to people who don't know/remember. If the books themselves aren't tied to the stat then i'm ok with them being a book to add in, but if the only way to up the stat is with the book (ala Fallout) then no. The current idea is that the stats should be boosted by repition, because the only way to get better at something is "Practice, Practice, Practice".

It would be more like how you eat, drink or apply. you would have to have the book in your hands for an "X" amount of time to learn about it then you will be able to repair/operate. As for "If the player knows then the character knows", this is a video game my character is not me and needs to learn how to repair/operate something.

"Neat idea, i think.

Like a military chopper's manual would be hidden in the cockpit or near it in a military tent, possibly in a drawer or on a table."

Thats the locations i was thinking as well.

No you don't just bump something after 1hr and 30 mins. That's stupid.

On the subject of your suggestion.

Currently the way things work is "If the player knows then the character knows" so manuals, whist they may be a possible extra set of books, won't be useful except for doing what they do in real life, telling you what you need and what to do to people who don't know/remember. If the books themselves aren't tied to the stat then i'm ok with them being a book to add in, but if the only way to up the stat is with the book (ala Fallout) then no. The current idea is that the stats should be boosted by repition, because the only way to get better at something is "Practice, Practice, Practice".

Could be something like the start up procedure of the aircraft/what components are needed to fix whatever is broken. Like a chart of what to do, no needed but makes operating/fixing the vehicle that much easier.

Could be something like the start up procedure of the aircraft/what components are needed to fix whatever is broken. Like a chart of what to do, no needed but makes operating/fixing the vehicle that much easier.

That's what i was trying to say. As long as i can do something i already know how to do IRL without having to find a manual in game (basically don;t make a block from doing certain actions but don't tell people what to do if they don't already know how to do it).

Yep sounds reasobable...once i read the manuals i could easily fly the A-10 over A'stan and kick some Talibear ass...when i got bored i read the manual for the AH-64....and because they blew a hole in my wing i read a repair manual and patched up the wing with a stapler and some chewing gum in mid air...