Sign in to follow this  
iBane

Handgun & Rifle which shoot the same ammunition

One of the things that would be of great benefit in any long-term survival situation would be different weapon platforms which utilize the same ammunition.  Specifically my thought is to add a handgun/rifle combo (maybe one or two in the game...not many or all) which fire the same ammunition.  

As an example consider the Remington .44 Magnum cartridge.  There could be a 6-shot revolver based on the S&W 629 and a 10 shot lever-action Winchester 1892-style medium range, short-barrel rifle.  There should be pros and cons to this.  This is just an example of what could be done...Eastern European weapons and ammo would make more sense, but I'm more familiar with American weapons and ammunition:

General Pros:

• Only need one type of ammo to utilize two different weapons

General Cons:

• If you run out of ammo you have two useless guns rather than just one

Rifle Pros:

• Low rifle recoil
  • Low noise from the rifle compared to the SKS, M4, and Mosin
  • Less inventory space required than full-sized rifles
  • Common spawn

Rifle Cons:

• Shorter effective range than other standard rifle rounds
  • Less damage than other standard rifle rounds
  • Few to no attachements
  • Longer complete reload animations as the rifle as a Winchester lever-action rifle doesn't accept magazines or stripper clips
    • It would be important to have reload animations based on actual number of rounds loaded rather than just one generic "complete" reload animation otherwise the reload times would be overly prohibitive.

Revolver Pros:

• More damage and penetration than .357 and .45 vs. other players
  • More damage vs. zombies than other handguns if zombies evolve past 1-shot kills
  • Scope and recoil compensator attachments

Revolver Cons

• High amount of revolver recoil
  • Louder than .357 and .45 handguns
  • Less ammo capacity than the .357 and .45
  • Uncommon spawn
Edited by iBane

It's good, but I'd like to see more Russian-made weapons in the game rather than American weapons

• Like 2

It's good, but I'd like to see more Russian-made weapons in the game rather than American weapons

Fair enough.  I would have no objection to that...I was just giving an example and used weapons and ammunition I know well.  

Fair enough.  I would have no objection to that...I was just giving an example and used weapons and ammunition I know well.  

That could also be the problem why rocket likes to put western weapons into the wrong environment...i'm not against giving the western fanboys a weapon or two but i hope this westernization stays wihin realistic limits.

Edited by Enforcer

That could also be the problem why rocket likes to put western weapons into the wrong environment...i'm not against giving the western fanboys a weapon or two but i hope this westernization stays wihin realistic limits.

Again...doesn't need to be western or american...they were just used as examples.  The suggestion is to have a rifle and pistol that use the same ammo.  That's the meat of the suggestion.  It is not important which manufactures or models are chosen.

I get what you are saying, but you know there's a whole world out there besides the two? Barretta is everywhere, not American. Glock is everywhere, not American.

For this particular request though, there are probably more American guns that meet the criteria for rifle + handgun on the same ammo, it isn't all that common. What is more likely is pistol and SMG.

You could do a Taurus Judge and a 410 shotgun, or I think .45 Long Colt.

Generally speaking though, you are going to be dealing with a hand-cannon if the rifle is any good. 

this could be done with a myriad of survival shotguns, and lever action rifles as well.

The Russian military was quite fond of the Winchester Lever Action Rifle around the 1880's - I'm sure some of those lasted through to today.

They also had a set of custom lever action rifles made to operate the 7.62x54R but only around 5,000 were made...So extremely rare rifle.

Winchester95russian.jpg

The .44 Mag isn't the only cartridge that is shared by pistols/revolvers and rifles.  Most of the examples I can think are western, but everything from the humble .22LR (which is confirmed with the 10/22) to even the 5.56 NATO is used in some 'pistols' (I use the word loosely in this case) and Rifles.  There are 9mm (Luger) Carbines, not to mention SMGs, and even the .357 and .45LC is used interchangeably in some 'cowboy' guns (revolvers and lever actions)

• Like 1

this could be done with a myriad of survival shotguns, and lever action rifles as well.

The Russian military was quite fond of the Winchester Lever Action Rifle around the 1880's - I'm sure some of those lasted through to today.

They also had a set of custom lever action rifles made to operate the 7.62x54R but only around 5,000 were made...So extremely rare rifle.

Winchester95russian.jpg

So basically what you're saying here is that we could have lever action mosins?

i like your avatar, Ugly ;)

Where's the bad?

The Bad is out there...someplace...waiting to try and hang me from a tree.  You just make sure you cut the rope and I'll make sure to tell you where the dollars are...