Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

How to deal with hackers now combat logging has been introduced?

I should point out from the start that I agree with confronting combat logging. It is far more prevalent than hacking. Hacking will always be there and if I spot it I log out and go to a different server. The question is just how do you deal with hackers now the combat logging is implemented? 

For example a couple of days ago I was wandering about in Electro, up in one of the buildings near the fire station, climbing down the stairs from the top floor. I hear someone come over the voip in what sounded like a Scandinavian voice. I can't work out what they are saying but I presume it's someone outside so I go back up to the top floor to look out the window. I then hear laughing. Ok, bit odd. Then out of the wall (in a place that can't be reached normally) an unarmed guy wearing black t-shirt and jeans runs at me. I fire off a few rounds and hit him but he disappears through the adjacent wall. So it's a hacker, what next. I decide the only solution is to run and I make my way outside only for the hacker to appear through the ground floor wall of another building run up to me (at a significantly faster speed than normal sprint) land a couple of punches and disappear through another wall. I got a few more rounds into him and it's clear he's bleeding. I think the only solution is to find open ground so they can't run out of nowhere. Sure enough through a wall he comes running towards me on open ground. I can now empty my clip taking him down. I waste my full clip in the c*nt to ensure he's down and stays down. I then make my way to another building to check my gear and take stock, not least because non hackers will have heard the commotion and no doubt making their way towards me. I am crouched in a nearby one floor building and through the wall comes another hacker, whether they are the same I don't know but they are the same character/clothes as before although the first one was definitely dead. I fire off some more bullets and hit them but they run through the wall to escape. All I can do is run, run and run. I dodge through the town not caring if other players see me and somehow lose them, and find a sheltered area to log out. I go to swap server, and need to wait for the timer to run down, and when I join the new server, I am a fresh spawn. Clearly the hacker knew where I was and robbed/killed me while I was logging out.

TL;DR? I got caught out by a hacker, not in a fight but they robbed/killed me as I was logging out. How do we resolve this?

It kind of sounds like massive de sync. The same thing has happened to me before and it sucks how you can't really put up a fight against a teleporting enemy.

It kind of sounds like massive de sync. The same thing has happened to me before and it sucks how you can't really put up a fight against a teleporting enemy.

The way he appeared through the wall on the second floor, and the laughter before the first attack, it's clear it was some form of hack. I'm not shouting "OMGZ hAXzorss!!!11" because there is far less of them on SA than the mod, and I'm happy enough to just swap server. The problem is the combat logging timeout that leaves you vulnerable.

Yea there's nothing worst than getting killed in an entirely unfair way. But as most people would have to say, just suck it up and hope it doesn't happen again. I've never experienced hackers myself, but I know I would feel so frustrated over a situation like yours. Hackers are just scum that are too insecure to PLAY A GAME fairly.

Yea there's nothing worst than getting killed in an entirely unfair way. But as most people would have to say, just suck it up and hope it doesn't happen again. I've never experienced hackers myself, but I know I would feel so frustrated over a situation like yours. Hackers are just scum that are too insecure to PLAY A GAME fairly.

Experimental server on Hardcore. Possibly the least likely place to find them. Perhaps an exploit from the latest build, meh.. who knows.

As I say most people accept hackers, that's the way online gaming has been since I first started on Quake 1 in the late 90's, and normally it wouldn't really be an issue as you could just log out, but with the way DayZ deals with a persistent world and the combat logging timer it backs you into a corner.

The question is how do other people deal with it? Any clever ideas?

I should point out from the start that I agree with confronting combat logging. It is far more prevalent than hacking. Hacking will always be there and if I spot it I log out and go to a different server. The question is just how do you deal with hackers now the combat logging is implemented? 

For example a couple of days ago I was wandering about in Electro, up in one of the buildings near the fire station, climbing down the stairs from the top floor. I hear someone come over the voip in what sounded like a Scandinavian voice. I can't work out what they are saying but I presume it's someone outside so I go back up to the top floor to look out the window. I then hear laughing. Ok, bit odd. Then out of the wall (in a place that can't be reached normally) an unarmed guy wearing black t-shirt and jeans runs at me. I fire off a few rounds and hit him but he disappears through the adjacent wall. So it's a hacker, what next. I decide the only solution is to run and I make my way outside only for the hacker to appear through the ground floor wall of another building run up to me (at a significantly faster speed than normal sprint) land a couple of punches and disappear through another wall. I got a few more rounds into him and it's clear he's bleeding. I think the only solution is to find open ground so they can't run out of nowhere. Sure enough through a wall he comes running towards me on open ground. I can now empty my clip taking him down. I waste my full clip in the c*nt to ensure he's down and stays down. I then make my way to another building to check my gear and take stock, not least because non hackers will have heard the commotion and no doubt making their way towards me. I am crouched in a nearby one floor building and through the wall comes another hacker, whether they are the same I don't know but they are the same character/clothes as before although the first one was definitely dead. I fire off some more bullets and hit them but they run through the wall to escape. All I can do is run, run and run. I dodge through the town not caring if other players see me and somehow lose them, and find a sheltered area to log out. I go to swap server, and need to wait for the timer to run down, and when I join the new server, I am a fresh spawn. Clearly the hacker knew where I was and robbed/killed me while I was logging out.

TL;DR? I got caught out by a hacker, not in a fight but they robbed/killed me as I was logging out. How do we resolve this?

Runs away to Combat log...gets punished for it. Complains

Facepalm

Edited by razyel_kain

Runs away to Combat log...gets punished for it. Complains

Facepalm

Fails to actually understand the thread.

/facepalm/

• Like 6

There's not much you can do about it really, other than trying your best to avoid them and logging out ASAP. I think the combat logger issue is a far bigger problem than that of hackers so I very much doubt the logout timer will be removed because of it.

There's not much you can do about it really, other than trying your best to avoid them and logging out ASAP. I think the combat logger issue is a far bigger problem than that of hackers so I very much doubt the logout timer will be removed because of it.

Completely agree, in terms of combat logging it's a bigger pain in the ass than hackers, it's also far more common. I like the idea of a combat log timer, just a little disappointing when it comes back to bite you like this.

I thought I had run away far enough, perhaps the only solution was to run miles away into an open field and hope the hacker got bored with me and went after easier meat.

OP I would start with using paragraphs to solve this issue as I didn't bother to read a single sentence of that chunk of text.

• Like 1

OP I would start with using paragraphs to solve this issue as I didn't bother to read a single sentence of that chunk of text.

Which is why I added a TL;DR, for those with a limited attention span.

Plus I hate to point it out, but there are 3 paragraphs in the OP. The bottom line is everyone knows what I am talking about splitting the "story" into separate paragraphs would take focus away from the actual question in hand and put it onto that.

Now that's out of the way, "weedmasta" (giggle), how do you deal with having a hacker on your tail yet knowing you have a combat log timeout?

Which is why I added a TL;DR, for those with a limited attention span.

Plus I hate to point it out, but there are 3 paragraphs in the OP. The bottom line is everyone knows what I am talking about splitting the "story" into separate paragraphs would take focus away from the actual question in hand and put it onto that.

Now that's out of the way, "weedmasta" (giggle), how do you deal with having a hacker on your tail yet knowing you have a combat log timeout?

Lack of attention span here, read the entire thing.

Question wasn't posed at me, but i'll answer with what i do when i encounter hackers.

Just stand there, nothing else, not much you can do than that.

Lack of attention span here, read the entire thing.

Question wasn't posed at me, but i'll answer with what i do when i encounter hackers.

Just stand there, nothing else, not much you can do than that.

The question is sort of posed to everyone, the story is only supplemental, however I'd like to think I could at least do some damage to them in some way and/or manage to exit with some of your gear intact. Naive as that sounds. Don't like just standing there. After all they are only going to use your gear against other people, I rather empty out all my clips so even if they get the weapon they don't get the ammo.

The question is sort of posed to everyone, the story is only supplemental, however I'd like to think I could at least do some damage to them in some way and/or manage to exit with some of your gear intact. Naive as that sounds. Don't like just standing there. After all they are only going to use your gear against other people, I rather empty out all my clips so even if they get the weapon they don't get the ammo.

Each to his/her own.

If i got ammo on me is irrelevant and if they're gonna use it on others is also irrelevant, the fact that they can just teleport around and kill you without you being able to do anything just shows they can pretty much do anything and you can't, including killing others and getting more ammo, so, if you get out of it without them getting your stuff, they'll just find someone else and try.

Well hacking just flat sucks!  I hope they can find a way to minimize it's effect in this game.

While I agree with the need for a combat log timer. My problem stems from the way it was apparently implemented; initiate log out and see black screen and "appear" as if you logged out but really some unseen count down is happening.

It would be much better if once you initiated the log out you would still be in game with a timer counting down, and still be aware of your surroundings and be able to act if necessary, Granted you would have to stay still during the timer period and not interact with anything or it would cancel.

My .02 cents

Normally, when that happens OP, you have a place to report it where the logs can be looked into and it is usually cut and dry if someone was hacking. Most sites with the mods that were well administrated you could get your character rolled back if it was found to be hacking. Like BMRF.me, etc.. 

But with this being the alpha I don't think that is their priority as of now.

There is defiantly some ESP being used by some.  But as for running though walls, unfortunately it's fairly easy especially if you are on wifi.

I'm pretty sure there's no hacks out there for the standalone since modding has been disabled from day 1.

I'm pretty sure there's no hacks out there for the standalone since modding has been disabled from day 1.

Unfortunately that is not true.. but the hacks have been curbed greatly not that long ago.

pg1a.png

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

wow ..you acually believe in that..? you know, the amount of people who actually know how to read memory might be limited, but the horde of kids using there applications is never ending.

there are thousends up on thousends with kids trying to get there hands on "confirmed" hacks.

• Like 2

Without actually seeing it first hand (ie: not witnessing it your end, but seeing it their end) you can never be sure that there are hacks going on. Personally I accept them as part of the online gaming community, and while I never indulge (I enjoy the challenge of the game too much) but I have friends who have in the past used them (not in DayZ, mostly CoD and BF on the PC) and as a programmer I've discussed how to implement them. So in that sense I'd like to feel I have some idea of what hacking looks like on the receiving end.

With that in mind, do I think that the situation I encountered was hacking? Yes, probably. Am I certain? No. Of course it could just be someone with huge lag coupled with a random player finding my logging out body and the combination of those two things resulted in what looked like a hack. However, and I suppose this is my fault for not videoing the incident, from experience of both DayZ (SA and mod) and hacking in general, it would be my conclusion that hacks were involved. 

Several things lead me to my conclusion. One being the angle in which the person entered the upper floor room opposite the fire station; they entered from the side that has no content (ie: inside the walls). This might be just a case of a simple "wall glitch" which is possible just now in the Alpha and isn't really a "hack", however couple this with them appearing through two other walls at once at ground level seemingly "at will" suggests that is not the case as wall glitching takes a bit of practice to find the right place to enter the wall (not that I have done this I should point out, just stating what is known). Finally after running away and finding a new hiding place for either the same person or another person who looks absolutely identical to the player I just killed, to find me so quickly and to once more come through the wall once more suggests hacking.

Ultimately, do I think hacks are available? Yes, because that is the nature of the beast. Do I think there is any way to stop people hacking? No. Do I think that hacks were used here? Yes, purely on the Occam's Razor principle.  Do I think there might be a solution in order to log out from your character if you are "under attack from a hacker" and thus preserve your gear (or at least some of it)? Perhaps, hence this thread.

Edited by ricp

People really fail to understand what modding and hacking are.

I attribute this to the influx of casual console players.

Hacking = using exploits and third party software to give yourself an ingame benefit and thus ruin the fun of others.

Mods = Adding wonderful community made content into the game unleashing new possibilities in gameplay, and often times fixing the mistakes done by the developers.

There is defiantly some ESP being used by some.  But as for running though walls, unfortunately it's fairly easy especially if you are on wifi.

actually its easyer on ethernet.. the good old hardware lagswitch.. just make a button to interrupt the orange wire, no data goes thru, insta lag.. in CoD you can at this point run around, headshot not moving targets, then re-establish the orange wires connection, and they see themselves die instantly..

so yeah.. this is a 15 year old hack lol... that most 15 year olds can easily find.

I don't mind these hacks which point out loot; if people want to ruin their own experience fine, but when they compromise other people's fun I'm a bit less forgiving. With that said is there even an aimbot out there that actually works, taking into account the realistic ballistics and zero'ing? I don't really know, the last time I've used hacks was with my clan in CS 1.5 to find wallbang spots.

Also to completely ruin the game like what happened to the mod, you'll need pissant annoying cheats like these:

StjYD02.png

Edited by JoostVoordeel