Sign in to follow this  
maverickfftytwo

Killed upon connecting to server

I just wanted to check to see if anyone could explain what happened to me today, or if I should bug report it.

I was playing for about 20 minutes, looting a town. My wife said dinner was ready so I went into a building and exited the game. I let it sit on the server list screen while I ate dinner. When I reconnected to that server I met another player who had a shotgun pointed right at me and shot my legs out before I had even completely loaded into the game. He then knocked me unconscious. I think at this point he took my weapons. I regained my consciousness and the player was still there taunting me. I was able to stand up and punch him before he knocked me unconscious again. I figured I was SOL at this point, so I respawned. Luckily, my fresh spawn was literally right down the road from where this occurred, so I sprinted back over there to try and loot my corpse. I was able to, and got my important gear back, including the bandits shotgun that he must have left after taking my Mosin.

So did I do something wrong? Was I just super unlucky? Or....was something illegitimate going on?

As in most online games your character spawns in the game before you actually see him on the screen.  The guy saw you spawn in and shot ya.  That's why I always log out in the woods in some pine trees or such. 

Your game still has to render after your character is loaded into the server. Log out in safer spots.

Unlucky. Don't logout in a populated area.

It just seems EXTREMELY unlucky to me. Previous to logging out I hadn't seen anyone around(I realize that doesn't mean they weren't there). There were only about 10 people on the server total. I had logged out inside a building. So ~40 minutes after logging out, someone just happens to be in, or entered the building I logged out in(out of the whole​ town)and saw me "loading"? I mean dang, that just seems like "breaking a mirror while walking under a ladder" level of unluckiness.

As in most online games your character spawns in the game before you actually see him on the screen.  The guy saw you spawn in and shot ya.  That's why I always log out in the woods in some pine trees or such. 

I figured I was probably visible to him before he was visible to me, but I still found it odd that he was there at all. 

Your game still has to render after your character is loaded into the server. Log out in safer spots.

Obviously this spot wasn't safe, but since this is only my second day playing I haven't learned all the tricks yet. My inexperience is also why I decided to post here. I thought it may have been possible that I became bugged when I logged out, and my character never actually disappeared from the server when I logged. That situation would make more sense to me as to why there was a person there when I logged back in. If my character was bugged for the ~40 minutes I was eating dinner, that would of been plenty of time for someone to have come across me in that location, and to have stayed there to figure out what the heck was going on. This is why I wanted to post and get others interpretations of the situation to see if I should fill out a bug report or not.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar situation happen to them. As a fairly new player I do have to say it was a little disappointing to just log in and get "owned" before/as the game loaded. I realize death is going to happen, but it would be nice to be able to have some control over it(and I understand that I could of chosen a better spot to log, but I still find the other players timing extremely coincidental).

You may be unlucky with your inexperience there, and have inadvertently logged out in one of the high value loot buildings which are always going to be checked regularly.

snip

Nothing wrong with posting about it. And being inexperienced is something everyone goes through, it's because of inexperience that I have some of my fondest memories of DayZ. Just remember, be extremely careful. Always log out in safe spots, and play as if someone were always watching you. Also, you logged out on a coastal town, which are almost always swarming with players, even on low population servers.

In DayZ, every life is a lesson, and that's the greatest things about the game. Live and learn.

In fact the same player may have stalked him prior to his logging out for dinner.. was looking for him, and finally found him right as he spawned in. ;)

#toughluckindayz 

It was just very unlucky that you spawned right where someone else was looting. Best to log out in houses that dont spawn loot.