Sign in to follow this  
breadbob

HD7950, massive FPS drop for last two weeks

my game has been running smoothly and i never had FPS problems until the patch version where rain effects have been introduced,

we all know there was an initial problem with the GPU memory leak (which made the FPS values start normal and drop to unplayable levels in a minute) so a new update was pushed to fix it.

however, although there has been slight improvement, the issue has never been fixed on my end.

for the last two weeks, the game starts with silky smooth FPS, but then i get insane FPS drops only a minute or two after i start the game, and in 5 minutes it becomes almost unplayable, i can barely walk.

interesting part is, if i ALT+TAB and wait a few minutes at windows desktop and return to the game the FPS returns to the silky smooth values... only to degrade again in moments notice.

in order to fix the issue, i tweaked graphics settings in every combination possible, including applying the fps fixes at the forums -including but not limited to the -dx9 trick- i upgraded to the latest AMD BETA drivers and last but not least, i upgraded to the experimental version 36. nothing seems to fix my fps problem. 

i have a Radeon HD7950, 10 gigs of RAM, intel i5 3750k at 4 GHz with water cooling

(also tried with stock values, and tried allocating higher priority to DayZ.exe with task manager, nice try but no banana). 

i am considering reinstalling windows as a last resort, but i really dont think this could help. maybe it's time for me to delete DayZ and not install again till summer, this is becoming extremely frustrating.

Edited by breadbob

Reinstalling windows won't help, you're not the only one with good gpu and low fps. All we can do is wait for devs to work on it.

Here's my update on the issue:

It's been a month, and for the whole month DAYZ has been unplayable for me.

- switched to experimental branch, from 35 to 37 there was a small FPS gain, and from 37 to 42, not much

- did all sorts of tweaks covered at FPS topics in this forum and everywhere else, including

1. -winxp console command (for dx9)
  2. other stuff in dayz.cfg file such as drawdistance or whatever that was called

- went to latest 14.1 AMD beta drivers

- tried giving "high CPU priority" to dayz.exe

- tried switching windows to "high performance" power scheme

no matter what the hell I do, the game that launches and is played around 60-70 FPS at lowest settings dramatically drops to 5-10 FPS with a few minutes of playing. it doesnt matter if i run into a town or just stroll around in the countryside. the issue seems to start as soon as i start moving to new areas, i.e. if i stay at the same position for hours, i dont think there would be a drop in performance. I know my graphics adapter is totally capable of continuously running this game at 60-70 FPS, because for the first few minutes it just does so, the game runs flawlessly. then it gets all choppy and i have to exit and relaunch.

important clue: when i go ALT+TAB for a long time and return to the game, there is a huge increase in performance, back to around 40 FPS, which runs down to 5-10 FPS in less than a minute.

God, I wish they'd just say "we'll run optimizations on THIS PARTICULAR DATE" so I'd stop touching the game until then. I kinda feel disappointed every time an update comes and the god damn FPS problem is still there.

Edited by breadbob

IM AN IDIOT.

I solved the problem.

My motherboard sound card was broken so I had installed a new sound blaster.

It seems, while doing so, i unplugged the liquid cooling system's 4-pin power plug from the motherboard accidentally.

This whole time, my god damn cpu cooler hadnt been working. I noticed this when i turned on Speedfan and saw the 93 celsius degrees at all 4 cores of the i5 3570k.

i got the cooler working and the game works like a charm now, with most graphics settings adjusted to high at 1440*900.

im so lucky i didnt burn the cpu....

hey man, im running an 8150 ocd at 4.5 ghz(8corecpu) two nvidia 760 4gb OC SLI editions, running dayz on an SSD with 32gb of ram, and im getting like 25 fps running around and sometimes 50-60 in tiny buildings but very rarely. for the most part im getting 18-25 fps all around map, which for my setup isnt acceptable. I feel your pain.

I cringed when I saw you're cooler wasn't working and your CPU running at 93 C  D:

Edited by Shadow134