Sign in to follow this  
splitter

Help with measuring distance in game with naked eye

Does anyone have a good way of estimating distances in game with the naked eye? I truly have no idea how to judge how far away someone is. For the record I have my FOV set right in the middle of the slider bar.

Does anyone perhaps have some pictures illustrating different distances?

Thanks

Splitter

Hmmm I'd recommend using a known distance and getting to know how that looks with your FOV settings. You can use the DayZDB map to measure the distance between two points (just click the map at point A and B and the distance will pop up) get to know what 100m looks like then have a go at guessing and checking. You'll get it pretty quickly. 

• Like 6

Personally, PU scope helped me to get a feel for calculating distance.

550px-Gews_pu_scope_diagram_2.png

FOV doesn't matter since the scope size is bigger or smaller depending on your FOV.

• Like 2

Hmmm I'd recommend using a known distance and getting to know how that looks with your FOV settings. You can use the DayZDB map to measure the distance between two points (just click the map at point A and B and the distance will pop up) get to know what 100m looks like then have a go at guessing and checking. You'll get it pretty quickly. 

This is how I got used to guesstimating distances with the naked eye, I can usually guess 100, 300, 500, and 800m quite accurately and work from there.

i usually remove my penis from my trousers and draw round it on my screen this gives a accurate marker in inches.

Edited by dgeesio

i usually remove my penis from my trousers and draw round it on my screen this gives a accurate marker in inches.

It must be frustrating to have to measure every distance in single inches, though.

Edited by louist
  • Like 5

This as well. In-game map also has that function, if you find one.

You get a feel for it with time, as well. I mean, I can't give you a very accurate estimate of distance, but I've become so used to the LRS that I can account for bullet drop accurately 90% of the time.

Just use a Mosin with LRS and compensator, or a M4 with acog. You can start to get a feel for distances when you start marking targets. After a while it comes pretty easy. I've become very accurate in my own estimates and can almost always guess the correct distance before my first shot. Anyways, when you are only 50-100m off, you will most likely still hit the target

Does anyone have a good way of estimating distances in game with the naked eye? I truly have no idea how to judge how far away someone is. For the record I have my FOV set right in the middle of the slider bar.

Does anyone perhaps have some pictures illustrating different distances?

Thanks

Splitter

Really its down to experience/practice. Often you may find yourself sniping from the same area; or sniping at the same area. You will develop an instinct for it via the landscape.

One tip if you are unsure if an target is say 600 meters or 700 meters; always zero at the highest of the two to be within a better chance of the correct range.

Currently any type of range estimation is mediocre at best.

Especially with the duplex reticle on the long range scope.

Hopefully eventually once Front Focal Plane mil dot scopes are added we can apply mil dot formula to not only players but objects such as windows around the map to determine range.

This only works if rocket can lock in the FOV settings when aiming and if the mildot is a true mildot that does not change in size regardless of what your magnification is.