Sign in to follow this  
Skydive (DayZ)

SOLVED: "You were banned" message

Since I have been running Windows Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2 since they were released on many of my servers, naturally I upgraded my DayZ public hive server to it as well.

Since then, every once in a while I have had players report being banned on my server when I have not issued a Admin Ban and they did not receive a Global Ban message.  The message they receive simply comes up in a box in ArmA 2 OA and reads, "You were banned".

Recently, this has been occurring more often and has been a real frustration for myself as well as regular players on my server.  In desperation to eliminate the possibility of having corrupt files, I have reloaded the OS and all of the ArmA 2 files and DayZ server files countless times.  I have also replaced and upgraded the server hardware a number of times now to ensure no failing parts.

Still the problem has persisted... until last night / today.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to switch the OS back to Server 2008 R2 and see if the problem existed there with ArmA 2 OA possibly having a conflict with some changes in Server 2012 / R2.

Sure enough, players that were getting the "You were banned" message are now able to join the server again.

This is something I hope the devs will take notice of since it would not surprise me if it has also made it into ArmA 3 and could also be a problem.

Okay, this has been my public service announcement for a while. I hope this information will find it's way to others experiencing this problem or are considering using Server 2012 or 2012 R2 for a server platform.

Just out of curiosity: what did you change on the server, especially configwise after you switched the OS? Are you sure it's nothing serverside or a messed up config?

Edited by kichilron

I changed nothing.  I backed up all of my .bat files, configs, battleye files, etc and just copy/pasted them back in when I switched to Server 2008 R2.

This also included my @Hive directory, MPMissions and Keys directories.  No changes to ANY server side files.

I always use DayZ Commander to load the @DayZ directory back on.

Edited by Skydive

I changed nothing.  I backed up all of my .bat files, configs, battleye files, etc and just copy/pasted them back in when I switched to Server 2008 R2.

This also included my @Hive directory, MPMissions and Keys directories.  No changes to ANY server side files.

I always use DayZ Commander to load the @DayZ directory back on.

I was just curious, as in your config there's theses lines that could have caused it when set up incorrectly:

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATIONonUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detectedonHackedData =  "kick (_this select 0)"; //"ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detectedonDifferentData = ""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

I thought about that too, but I tested running the server with a clean install of Server 2012 R2 and changed the onHackedData = kicked to test this, but the players were still not able to connect.  Now with Server 2008 R2 running, I can still have onHackedData = ban and the players that could not get on before are all able to get on the server now and play.

So my config for those looks like this:

// SIGNATURE VERIFICATIONonUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// unsigned data detectedonHackedData = 	"ban (_this select 0)";			//"ban (_this select 0)";			// tampering of the signature detectedonDifferentData = "kick (_this select 0)";		// data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected
Edited by Skydive

"You were banned" problem was talked about over a year or so ago.

In your batteye folder you have 2 ban files.

Bans and Ban.

Ban txt

If you have numbers in your ban txt file these are player ID's. these players will have the "You were banned" message when trying to join a server. due to being added to this ban txt file.

removing the player ID's will remove the ban. many things can get you on this ban list including corrupt data.

Edited by SaintMerc
  • Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up, SaintMerc. I'll look into that as well and clear it if it is populated with any IDs.