Sign in to follow this  
Sunslayer

Give civilian clothes some bonus?

Hey guys,

While I am relatively new to the game, I have noticed most players I encountered or seen are wearing military camouflage or tactical shirts. I understand where this is coming from as it gives them an advantage in concealment against other players. However, that makes civilian clothing mere stepping stones until you can make yourself look like a commando. As of now, everyone simply dumps their jeans, shoes and jacket as soon as they find TTsKO stuff. I'm wondering whether it is possible to give bonuses to civilian clothing in the future expanded PVE contents, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

Well the wellies are a start in the right direction. Those boots don't get wet at all. But things like running shoes should give you an faster run speed. While like Hiking and jungle boots should offer easier running up hills and such rather than crawling up them. Combat boots should offer more stability for firing weapons. Normal hunting, military and trucker hats should over some visibility protection from the sun. Other clothes should offer things like reduced cold conditions, heat reduction etc.

• Like 1

? Why wouldn't I be serious about this? Dicks, Cabella, Gander Mt, Bass Pro Shop... They all have civilian hiking and outdoor clothes that are way better than anything I was issued in the Marines. Haven't you ever heard the term "good enough for a government job?" Out BDUs were sewn by blind people for goodness sake. Bless them.

Because most of that isn't the same as civilian in the sense people are talking about.  Many of the things in the game being referred to as "military gear" aren't.  Other than TTsko items and the vests, nothing is straight military.  The tactical shirts are similar to the hunting clothes you can get.  Summer hunters etc are civilian.  The vests are labeled assault, but they are not significantly different from fishing and hunting vests.

So what are people actually talking about concerning military gear?  The TTsko?  So two articles of clothing?

And Dicks and Cabellas sell garbage on the same level as basic military kit.  As a Marine, if you done the same thing in those items as you did in your kit, I bet you would have had similar results.  There are certainly higher quality items available (LL Bean etc.), but you think that will be common in the Russian countryside?  Wouldn't military surplus be more plausible?

Nah, military gear needs to be super rare and usually in bad condition, i dont like them anyways.

Thats easily remedied with a sewing kit! :P

Hey guys,

While I am relatively new to the game, I have noticed most players I encountered or seen are wearing military camouflage or tactical shirts. I understand where this is coming from as it gives them an advantage in concealment against other players. However, that makes civilian clothing mere stepping stones until you can make yourself look like a commando. As of now, everyone simply dumps their jeans, shoes and jacket as soon as they find TTsKO stuff. I'm wondering whether it is possible to give bonuses to civilian clothing in the future expanded PVE contents, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

I'm as big a fan of Civvy clothes as the next guy, but I take the penalty to camo because I enjoy the way my character looks in them, and I enjoy looking different than every other Camo'd up dude out there.

However, I think this is a terrible idea. There's a reason anyone with half a brain picks up camo clothes and dumps civvy clothes...because civvy clothes don't offer the concealment TTsKO stuff does

so you can either be camo'd or you can be not camo'd, the way it actually would be.

Why does there need to be a buff to "Civvy clothes" wtf lol

I'm as big a fan of Civvy clothes as the next guy, but I take the penalty to camo because I enjoy the way my character looks in them, and I enjoy looking different than every other Camo'd up dude out there.

However, I think this is a terrible idea. There's a reason anyone with half a brain picks up camo clothes and dumps civvy clothes...because civvy clothes don't offer the concealment TTsKO stuff does

so you can either be camo'd or you can be not camo'd, the way it actually would be.

Why does there need to be a buff to "Civvy clothes" wtf lol

Well we DO have the press vest and anti stab vest and are in no way shape or form camo but they ARE functional and protect you. Also that UN blue ballistic helm is very tempting to me.

Edited by Deathlove

Well we DO have the press vest and anti stab vest and are in no way shape or form camp but they ARE functional and protect you. Also that UN blue ballistic helm is very tempting to me.

is that in experimental?  (the blue UN)

And yeah, I'm actually a big fan of the press vest sometimes, but it makes my character look weird for some reason

I would wear it if it actually had the bullet stopping capabilities it had in real life

I just haven't seen anyone confirm that it does actually give you some bullet protection, I may be wrong

And yeah, I'm actually a big fan of the press vest sometimes, but it makes my character look weird for some reason

I would wear it if it actually had the bullet stopping capabilities it had in real life

I just haven't seen anyone confirm that it does actually give you some bullet protection, I may be wrong

Not sure but a few developers post back if you look had a model of a black and blue UN helm in production. Also boonies too.

Well the problem is the press vest is so damn rare its hard to get a majority of players to try it out. I can confirm that the stab vest does work and some others can to.

Edited by Deathlove

My friend wears it all the time ! He guesses it saved his life a lot of times... knocked him out instead of death... :) or is  he a lucky SOB :) dunno 

I've owned a real set of TTSKO, and they're nothing compared to jeans when it comes to wear. It's old soviet crap. Mass produced, quickly, for a massive army. I agree with the Marine up above. Military gear is generally crap. I think a lot of those serving privately buy gear, like boots. When it comes to old Soviet states, its extremely common. They have companies in Russia that make military regulation gear, better than the military. Their soldiers then buy the higher end uniforms, which still have the same pattern and camouflage.

I have friends with "tactical shirts", and they are indeed better than a "civilian" jacket. There's fashion and then there's function. Shirts and jeans (so far in this game) are of the fashion variety. 

http://www.warfightertactical.com/apparel/summit-softshell.html

Look at that thing. You don't think it'd be better than... say a jean jacket? It's not any heavier than one either. And TTSKO pants are lighter than jeans. 

However, I agree that not every 10th building should be an Army Surplus store. But, as everyone's said, it's spawn rate should decrease. In game I prefer civilian rather than looking military. All comes down to what you'd rather look like in the game setting. Some people like Vanity, some like Function. 

Edited by BootYourFace
  • Like 1

Not sure but a few developers post back if you look had a model of a black and blue UN helm in production. Also boonies too.

Well the problem is the press vest is so damn rare its hard to get a majority of players to try it out. I can confirm that the stab vest does work and some others can to.

I just thought it was funny my Anti-stab vest got ruined my some bambi attacking me with a baseball bat...

doesn't make much sense

Military gear is so 2013, i'm a cowboy now. Might rock out in a biker get up soon tho...  B)

• Like 1

Have any of you guys looks at the stats for the different sets of clothing on DayZDB?

Military clothes offer the best protection to bleeding in the game and also have the most slots.

In a real life scenario military clothing is crap. It does not hold up as well as some of the alternatives out there. It's mass produced and its sold to the lowest bidder so the government can save money. Most of the hunting items/cargo pants and tact shirts would hold up better as it's meant for quality and to sell well. 

As for the tactical shirts that stuff is meant for general public who is/has worked in some sort of law enforcement or security type job.

Overall I feel like we should have more options for "civilian clothes" that are equal to the military gear because I assure you I can find clothes that have just as much inventory space as the military stuff.

In the end I don't feel like civilian gear needs to have some sort of bonus to it, i just feel like it needs to have more of a variety.

• Like 1

Because most of that isn't the same as civilian in the sense people are talking about. Many of the things in the game being referred to as "military gear" aren't. Other than TTsko items and the vests, nothing is straight military. The tactical shirts are similar to the hunting clothes you can get. Summer hunters etc are civilian. The vests are labeled assault, but they are not significantly different from fishing and hunting vests.

So what are people actually talking about concerning military gear? The TTsko? So two articles of clothing?

And Dicks and Cabellas sell garbage on the same level as basic military kit. As a Marine, if you done the same thing in those items as you did in your kit, I bet you would have had similar results. There are certainly higher quality items available (LL Bean etc.), but you think that will be common in the Russian countryside? Wouldn't military surplus be more plausible?

I guess I just really don't understand the point you're trying make. LL Bean is the best but they don't ship to Cherarus?

.3% chance your article of clothing comes with a free scabies infestation!

• Like 2

I guess I just really don't understand the point you're trying make. LL Bean is the best but they don't ship to Cherarus?

I am saying that most of the crap sold at Cabellas or DIcks is garbage.  There are some brands that are top shelf, but yeah, the odds of them being present in Chernerus seems low.

My main point is that there are already piles of civilian hunting clothes around.  Only two articles are truly military (the TTSKO jacket and pants) and then there are the various vests.  Everything else is essentially civilian hunting items.

I am saying that most of the crap sold at Cabellas or DIcks is garbage. There are some brands that are top shelf, but yeah, the odds of them being present in Chernerus seems low.

My main point is that there are already piles of civilian hunting clothes around. Only two articles are truly military (the TTSKO jacket and pants) and then there are the various vests. Everything else is essentially civilian hunting items.

So we are talking about two different things and just keep quoting each other??

So we are talking about two different things and just keep quoting each other??

Potentially!

I don't know at this point!

But my main point is this thread seems to be a bizarre continuation of the ongoing battle over the very real fact that military gear isn't uncommon even in America.  Weapons yes, but other gear is easy and cheap to acquire.

.3% chance your article of clothing comes with a free scabies infestation!

lol

Why has this thread turned into a which DIY store is the best for an apocalypse argument.

Get back on to the amazing topic of super bambi clothes with special powers for all the super bambis.

Edited by africanhungergames
  • Like 1

lol

Why has this thread turned into a which DIY store is the best for an apocalypse argument.

Get back on to the amazing topic of super bambi clothes with special powers for all the super bambis.

I dunno. My original point was that civilian attire that is as functional, resilient and waterproof is available at any number of sporting good stores. And that military gear tends to be fairly shitty anyway.

But I think bolas would be better than ties. And I would like to see JNCO jeans so I can rave.

I guess my question is for folks who are from Russia or a former Soviet bloc country:  Are old Soviet military gear common?  Here in the states you can get plenty of military surplus items for very little money.

TTsKO is the best for woodland areas at the moment. Single colors will make you stand out more in a woodland area. There is a reason armed forces use camouflaged clothing, it works better, just as it does in the game. However if you are the more "I will run in the middle of an open field like a headless chicken" type you'll want to stick to green clothing.

Actually the current camo gear is better for staying still and camo at the same time as it breaks up the outline. Army "Greens" (single colour uniform) are better at being camo on the move. What's easier to spot, a green moving object in a green environment or a spotted green and brown object moving through a green environment.

Say that shit to Bear Grylls' face. I double dog dare you. His clothing line is civilian and offers all those advantages. LMFAOPHGSJO

Bear Grylls is mentioned on page one of the ADF (Australian Defence Force AKA Aussie army/navy/air force) survival manual.

"When you find yourself in a survival situation stay in the same place as long as possible, running from place to place like Bear Grylls will only get you lost and make you harder to find" (paraphrasing a bit but it's pretty similar) 

If he's doing all the wrong things for survival according to the highly trained survival experts in Australia (where everything is trying to kill you) then what else is he doing wrong. I've read reviews where his knives break a fair bit, so how different in quality are his clothes?

• Like 1