Sign in to follow this  
Bre3ze

Zombie changes ^^

I have a suggestion for zombies that might solve the problem of too much zombies making the server lag,

what if the zombies were like the last of us?  They are very hard to kill, and VERY scary.

If too much zombies = lag, then maybe make the zombies very very scary, and making them hard to kill?

Maybe make the environment very eerie making the zombies seem more threatening ? 

Just a recommendation please leave thoughts ^^ 

I have a suggestion for zombies that might solve the problem of too much zombies making the server lag,

what if the zombies were like the last of us?  They are very hard to kill, and VERY scary.

If too much zombies = lag, then maybe make the zombies very very scary, and making them hard to kill?

Maybe make the environment very eerie making the zombies seem more threatening ? 

Just a recommendation please leave thoughts ^^ 

No, they are and have been improving the server performance a lot. Their almost to the point were they can respawn zombies. (Hopefully) they fix them walking through walks etc, first. 

They should just add more zombies instead. When the servers are stable enough to do so. I'd rather sneak or fight 100 zombies than fighting 2 super brutes. I'm not interested in super zombies like the tank from "Left 4 Dead" or the super zombie from "Warz (Also known as Infestation: Survivor Stories)". This is something i'd imagine when modding gets here  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Dean has testet 10.000 zombies on a server and he says it runs very well.

How many do we have now, 4000? 10 wouldn't be that much more. But I still hope for the huge zombie hordes in the future :). 

But to be honest, if the zombies are just 1 shot kill, if it were 50 zombies roaming on the street, it would still be easy to just empty mags, or run away from them, wouldn't it?

one of the reasons i always found zombies very threatening were because they were scary, they made me flinch, or made me think twice about facing one, even tho it would probably just take 1 shot to kill them.

Maybe more zombies + head shot kills with maybe a bit of tweaking on the zombies appearance, sounds and actions? (in the future of course)

i know this is an early alpha, but the way its heading, i'm afraid the zombies will stay the same. 

Ya a big statement that helped me understand the weird zombies of dayz is this (some body from the dayz mod forums said this ) : " dayz zombies are merely people infected with some type of irreversible virus , they aren't undead and so that being said anything that could kill a regular human can kill them ."

Which is why body shots are viable . And think of the history of dayz mod , the zombies were so fast only head shots would have gotten annoying haha so I think it's a mix of the lore of the zombies and the history of their characteristics .

If you want to make the infected a threat in this game, it really isn't a matter of toughness, damage output, or speed.  All of those could work, but the best way is using the fear of the unknown. 

Imagine if in the world there hundreds of thousands of bodies.  Some sitting against walls or in cars, some lying down, some in brutally grotesque and twisted positions.  Now imagine if some of those bodies were the same infected we face. The point is take at least half of the infected and have them be dormant.  The other half can slowly roam or do otherwise as is the case now.  You would walk into a house a see what look like three dead bodies.  Well guess what, one of them isn't.  Did you turn your back on it and make some noise?

Even the most careful, "I will put an axe in every body I find just to make sure" person will eventually slip up and take that body for granted.  Hell, they just might not see it while dealing with the three infected that are coming from the front.  All of the sudden, there are two more right behind you and you're trapped.

That is what they should do.

tldr: allow for some infected to hide among non-animated corpses and spring traps

• Like 3

If you want to look at the story (which i have seen and even recall being noted in a interview with rocket from somewhere) where the zombies are all regular people that are infected you have problems already. 

First off the freaky jumping attack animation that seems to be only in the female zombies is entirely unnatural and shouldn't happen. 

Secondly different people have different tolerances so while one zombie may be a 1hit kill another may take 10, and it should be random.  There have been plenty of real life stories with occurances like this, for instance I do know of one with a law enforcement officer who was shot 5 times during a traffic stop, got back in his car chasing the suspect, followed on foot after he bailed, and still tackled him and waited for backup/medics... what about a zombie like that?

Thirdly some zombies should be randomly dropping dead of the virus, there has been research done, (sorry i don't remember where/who) that a "zombie virus" is possible, but due to human needs the entire event would only last a few days due to starvation and dehydration... note how much your charecter complains about food/water.  And with any sort of zombie virus you would be safe to assume that it would be coupled with an immense fever, which is what has altered the brain by heating it soo much that it kills off cells, which also means that dehydration will come that much faster because the bodie would be attempting to cool itself by sweating, or it would die even faster.      (this could also be coupled with the sleeper zombie idea, being that a zombie could drop unconscious and later awaken.)

And lastly different hits to different places should definitely matter, as well as your charectors health.  If you hit an already damaged body (ie. zombie virus) with a wrench in the head it should die, but an axe to the arm/leg should not kill immediately.

All very cool ideas and suggestions ^^ ty for replying !!

• Like 1

tldr: allow for some infected to hide among non-animated corpses and spring traps

This is a great idea. There in general needs to be masses of corpses lying around everywhere along with the fly buzzing sound. My oh my would that add atmosphere

How many do we have now, 4000? 10 wouldn't be that much more. But I still hope for the huge zombie hordes in the future :). 

dude, hardly 300. 10-20 zombies in electro (pretty big city) alone, same numbers for other major city, max 10 every other town.

I completely agree with Karma. Getting some of the zombies to sit against walls, laying on the ground etc. would make it much more interesting dealing with the infected. 

Now.. Some of you are talking about how boring encountering the infected is. 

But the way I see how zombies function is that they are weak alone or in the open. But once you've got a couple of them running for you, it can quickly become life threathening (Especially in narrow paths). So for me it isn't about being afraid of all the Mike Tyson zombies. But more about fearing then when they are grouped. Zombies should be stupid and easy to fool  ^_^

Oh.. And wandering hordes of zombies!

How cool would it be looting a town when suddenly a wandering horde wanders across the town looking for brains. While you hide, looking at them passing right by you on the other side of the window. That would be pretty darn awesome if you ask me!  B)

Edited by SneezeJunky