ld-airgrafix

Morale

I think morale would be a good addition, taking a swim in a lake, or relaxing in a shade of a tree reading a book, as well as meeting other players would boost your morale. Killing other players (this might reduce unnecessary killings) and fighting zombies regularly would lower the morale.

• Like 1

For arguments sake, let's say killing Zombies and other players makes me happy i.e. increases my morale. Why am I being penalised for doing something I enjoy because it conflicts with your personal moral code.

Sorry, no. As with all the similar systems proposed on these forums, I wouldn't support any system that tries to impose a moral code on the players. And we are talking morality here, whatever weasel word you try to hide it behind: Morale, Humanity, Sanity, etc.

• Like 1

Please, no. This game has stayed away from bullshit mental "stats" and stuck to physical ones, so that the players can supply the mental bits. And that's the way I like it. 

Its not that type game. There will be humanity, its enough.

Link? I've always heard him said there will be no humanity.

• Like 1

Moral and Morale are two different things.  Morals are a set of values, Morale is more of a state of mind. 

Now you could make it about a karma system, or possibly make it more intellegent if possible with this programming.

I mean that instead of it being based on a single set of parameters, it learns what you like to do, so the more often you do the same thing the more you get a boost.  So you keep killing zombies you get a boost.  You keep killing players you get a bost.  You keep helping people you get a boost.  You keep looting you get a boost.  Etc.

And no boost =no penalty. 

Boost = something only slightly helpful such as a little more stamina, a little more time before starvation, or being able to yell slightly farther away.

Link? I've always heard him said there will be no humanity.

Sorry, no link. Who is "him" ? I heard many times on forum about humanity will be implanted. No real link to source.

Actually morale when staying alive, is just as important, as food and water, just ask bear grylls. Carrying a picture of a loved one or lightning a simple fire can mean a difference between loosing it and staying alive. And being surrounded by death and decay, morale would play a big part in real life.

I could see more something where morale is related to mental and physical "comfort". Good varied food, not too tired, not too much in pain.

• Like 1

Noooooo. Just no. Fuck all of these systems. They are not needed.

Yeah, cause people gearing up on empty servers and killing newspawns with a scoped rifle creates such an enjoyable meaningful time for everyone. I would suggest a kill limit for each player. After that, suicide or turning into a zombie or something.

Right now calling this game an RPG is false advertising. It's a team deathmatch without a counter, on a huge map.

It heavily rewards sociopathic behaviour, and induces paranoia. Maybe this is why it's so immersing.

Yesterday a guy in full gear said "hi". I "said "hello", put up my hands, and he shot me. Great fucking game.

Another time an other newspawn just ran to me said "Fight me bitch", and knocked me out. Great fucking game.

On the other hand it makes humane moments more meaningful, when you are able to trade, help someone out, or receive help.

But imho mixing FPS fans and RPG fans is just a terrible idea.

Edited by pistaaaa

I could see more something where morale is related to mental and physical "comfort". Good varied food, not too tired, not too much in pain.

I would like this, while I think what the player is doing should be up to you e.g no random suicide animation if you ignore Morale.

I think it should affect you negatively, like the player being seemingly more lethargic, loosing the will to fight for life.

Finding goodness in the world should reduce any negative effects.

Good things could be varied food, warm and balanced meals.

Having others detect your direct chat.

Starting fires, drinking cleaned water, staying warm, wearing comfortable 'pristine' clothes.

People that choose to play killing spree types usually live for a few hours tops.

But maybe after a while you could become the complete opposite and become completely messed up, keep yourself non lethargic by killing others, eating human flesh, having others in your direct chat zone.

More personal the kill the more it helps your mentally deranged character.

This sort of player in my opinion should take on a new character model, where they appear quite dirty and have dried blood on them.

The way i saw it was to get additional perks when you are willing to go the extra mile between "just surviving" and "taking care of yourself". It's the little things that make life worth living they say.

Yeah, cause people gearing up on empty servers and killing newspawns with a scoped rifle creates such an enjoyable meaningful time for everyone. I would suggest a kill limit for each player. After that, suicide or turning into a zombie or something.

Right now calling this game an RPG is false advertising. It's a team deathmatch without a counter, on a huge map.

It heavily rewards sociopathic behaviour, and induces paranoia. Maybe this is why it's so immersing.

Yesterday a guy in full gear said "hi". I "said "hello", put up my hands, and he shot me. Great fucking game.

Another time an other newspawn just ran to me said "Fight me bitch", and knocked me out. Great fucking game.

On the other hand it makes humane moments more meaningful, when you are able to trade, help someone out, or receive help.

But imho mixing FPS fans and RPG fans is just a terrible idea.

1. It's not really an RPG per se.

2, I don't see how it rewards socipathic behaviour. This game doesn't reward anything.

3. Today, me and my friend were running along the road from Electro to Cherno. At some point my buddy said "Someone is following us" (on teamspeak, we're bad guys, I know). We turned around and there was a full-camo, m4+mosin guy sneaking up on us. We asked him (without pointing our mosins) why was he sneaking up, and he said "Sorry, you know, I think i will go now" and we both went in our directions. Not a shot was fired that day.

All in all, you're argument is invalid.

Nothing wrong with a morale system, as long as you're not trying to cheat it in as a method by which discouraging people from doing what people do - shit all over each other.

A system that rewards you for eating a healthy varied diet, getting regular exercise, finding time for entertaining yourself and such would actually fit reasonably well into DayZ from where I'm sitting. However, a system that punishes you for murdering other people to stay alive would not. Morale should function like hunger and thirst: It should erode naturally and require topped up.

Quit trying to think up ways to stop people shooting each other, it will not work. If you really want to change this behaviour, walk a mile in their shoes and understand why we do it.

1. It's not really an RPG per se.

2, I don't see how it rewards socipathic behaviour. This game doesn't reward anything.

3. Today, me and my friend were running along the road from Electro to Cherno. At some point my buddy said "Someone is following us" (on teamspeak, we're bad guys, I know). We turned around and there was a full-camo, m4+mosin guy sneaking up on us. We asked him (without pointing our mosins) why was he sneaking up, and he said "Sorry, you know, I think i will go now" and we both went in our directions. Not a shot was fired that day.

All in all, you're argument is invalid.

1. You're right. It's not listed as an rpg on steam. (I could have sworn i saw it somewhere listed as an rpg)

2. Killing/knocking out others to get their stuff is kinda sociopathic. And it's a hell lotta easier than searching for it. So yeah it rewards this kind of behaviour.

3. I know. Confronting people in the right manner is a skill to be learned. But you cannot do much about snipers, who kos near spawn sites or high loot areas.

For many, kos is a problem. Of course it's a different experience on different servers with different people.

Right now i think the solution is joining an RP community for people like me.

I still think teamspeak ruins the atmosphere, but the built in voip is not there yet to replace it.

Quit trying to think up ways to stop people shooting each other, it will not work. If you really want to change this behaviour, walk a mile in their shoes and understand why we do it.

I'd love to hear your reasoning. Is it all about "If I don't shoot first he will."?

Or you mean I should go to a tower on a popular location and wait for them bambies?

That has already been discussed to death in many different topics across these boards. The short answer is that there is not a single reason for this behaviour, but multiple ones. It's for this reason that trying to develop a system to prevent this sort of behaviour is flawed.

2. Killing/knocking out others to get their stuff is kinda sociopathic. And it's a hell lotta easier than searching for it. So yeah it rewards this kind of behaviour.

Game is not rewarding you. It's you who says "Why should I bother looting and searching when I can just kill that guy.

3. I know. Confronting people in the right manner is a skill to be learned. But you cannot do much about snipers, who kos near spawn sites or high loot areas.

I would only need one hand to count times I was sniped on spawn or loot area. And I don't play on empty servers, trust me. All you need is being carefull and scan the area with long range scope. Yes, I know there are people who are being killed constantly, but you would have to ban KoS-ers to stop that. And that will never happened.

So my suggestion for them poor bambies and KoS victims is this: learn to examine your surrounding and get good camo clothes.

Game is not rewarding you. It's you who says "Why should I bother looting and searching when I can just kill that guy.

I would only need one hand to count times I was sniped on spawn or loot area. And I don't play on empty servers, trust me. All you need is being carefull and scan the area with long range scope. Yes, I know there are people who are being killed constantly, but you would have to ban KoS-ers to stop that. And that will never happened.

So my suggestion for them poor bambies and KoS victims is this: learn to examine your surrounding and get good camo clothes.

We just feel that we bought the wrong game. We want player interaction, not another deathmatch. Looking around with a scope searching for snipers is really damn boring. It just creates poor gameplay. Check out some gameplay footage on youtube, with millions of views. Most of them is about player interaction , not sniping, or pvp.

We just feel that we bought the wrong game. We want player interaction, not another deathmatch. Looking around with a scope searching for snipers is really damn boring. It just creates poor gameplay. Check out some gameplay footage on youtube, with millions of views. Most of them is about player interaction , not sniping, or pvp.

1. Consider reading the popup window that shows upon launching the game. DayZ Alpha is not supposed to have smashing gameplay. It's supposed to be tested

2. I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube,and most of them were a single person or a group of 4-5 sneaking upon airfields or larger cities and engaging in heavy shooting.

1. Consider reading the popup window that shows upon launching the game. DayZ Alpha is not supposed to have smashing gameplay. It's supposed to be tested

2. I've seen plenty of videos on YouTube,and most of them were a single person or a group of 4-5 sneaking upon airfields or larger cities and engaging in heavy shooting.

1. I know. It's just not clear at the moment if it's going to be an fps or an rpg experience. I hope the regular will be more of a coop mmorpg, while hardcore remains a guerilla combat simulator.

2. We bought the same game with different expectations.

If there is going to be a morale system I suggest it would be similar to the red orchestra/rising storm morale system where low morale because of incoming fire etc and this would mean that you shake a lot more when trying to aim etc because your scared. If you have friendlies in the area etc you get a boost to morale and so are a lot calmer and so using the aiming example again you will be able to aim easier.

Edited by Jack456Z