CrazyCorky

Why are you against many military items in game?

Not saying I don't want military gear, but I want civilian gear to be far more prevalent.

What do you mean by "gear"? Clothing? It is more rare, just people prefer to wear military-style gear. Tactical Vest? There isn't any difference between the military and civilian tactical vests. Armored helmets? These are only military, civilians are just going to have surplus. Guns? There are only a few guns in the game and exactly one military gun. I'm not sure why people are using it, but meh. But, I guarantee if I were to go get a civilian long-range rifle, put a scope on it, cover it in some nice camo.... people would start labeling it a "military gun".

I'm sorry for nit picking, but this isn't russia! Stop calling Chernarus Russia. It is not Russia. Gee...

Belarus = White Russia

Chernarus = Black Russia

What do you mean by "gear"? Clothing? It is more rare, just people prefer to wear military-style gear. Tactical Vest? There isn't any difference between the military and civilian tactical vests. Armored helmets? These are only military, civilians are just going to have surplus. Guns? There are only a few guns in the game and exactly one military gun. I'm not sure why people are using it, but meh. But, I guarantee if I were to go get a civilian long-range rifle, put a scope on it, cover it in some nice camo.... people would start labeling it a "military gun".

Which gun is ONLY military? If you're referring the M4... My .308 rifle looks just like an M4. Same barrel length. Has a rail system. I don't have an ACOG but I do have a RDS. As I stated in my edit there are civilian versions of the M4 out there. And you can just as easily mistake a civilian built Rifle for an M4. Hell even the ones in use for the Military all across the board aren't fully automatic.

Which gun is ONLY military? If you're referring the M4... My .308 rifle looks just like an M4. Same barrel length. Has a rail system. I don't have an ACOG but I do have a RDS. As I stated in my edit there are civilian versions of the M4 out there. And you can just as easily mistake a civilian built Rifle for an M4. Hell even the ones in use for the Military all across the board aren't fully automatic.

yep yep yep

civvie guns are gonna be considered anything not mosin/sks/cz550/m4 ect ect

generic gun names like "rifle" and "shotgun" maybe? lol.

There should be a focus on the reality of common ammunition types.

.22lr 9mm 7.62 x 25 39 and 54 should be the main ammunition

M4's are not commonplace in eastern bloc countries and 7.62 x 25 would make more sense for pistol caliber and sub machinegun as that is the Tokarev round.

.22 lr and 9mm  and 9mm kurz (.380) should rule the day as they are the most common rounds in the world for any civilian population.

I do agree military loot needs to be scare in general and we should be finding more civilian weapons rather than tricked out M4's and DMRs

Timing wise, the way DayZ presents itself is things went bad about a month ago, tops.. everything is still there. Nothing is run down yet, lights work. THe grass is only about knee high in places. 

I like to look at it like this, when its a fresh server.. the outbreak just happened. When the server has been up forever, its months down the line.. things are scarce but still in good shape and lights still working. 

Now if you take that model. There would be plenty of loot. I mean imagine a zombie apocalypse where all of a sudden almost everyone is gone. I don't imagine things happening slowly myself. Military would respond quickly, get overrun by internal infections and a quick breakdown of the chain of command. And what you're left with is those that hunkered down, and all the dead. People would leave town fast, or stay but gear up right away. Those that stay would eventually be killed or the few survivors left. So gear would be abundant. Cars would be on the roads full of peoples belongings and their sad story of not "making it". 

The server cycle is like a 3-6 month revolution. When things reset, your back to week 2 or 3 of the outbreak.. later, the survivors have looted and your left with scraps about 6 months post-outbreak. 

Either that or this thing happened a while ago and you just swam ashore for some God awful reason and are now stuck here.. in the quarantine zone of Chernarus. 

To be honest think the games a bit easy mode at the moment. I would rather it take a lot longer to find an m4 as I would appreciate it more.

plus this a zombie survival not call of duty sandbox....even though ppl like to think it is

The question I have is:

Why is everyone against having a lot of military gear in the game?

Because look at the game as it stands (or the mod, if you like): tons of kids mistaking what could be a unique survival/combat game for CoD and deathmatching their way though Chernarus. 

The question I have is:

Why is everyone against having a lot of military gear in the game?

I would like to think that if something like this happened the military/police would be the ones to respond. Therefore it is my idea that military loot would be as random as civilian loot. Everyone rushing to leave and find a safe place to live would not even bother with picking up items off the ground.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Edit:

1) Not only referring to weapons. I'm counting in the clothing/vests and equipment.

2) Also speaking of vehicles when they are implemented.

3) There is no "gun" that is strictly for military. Unless you're looking at some of the high end explosives/grenade launchers. Almost every weapon the military uses has some sort of civilian counter part. Meaning most of the time they are no longer fully automatic.

Brains are stronger and better than brawn, if you can outwit and out play someone you will always win than the person with the bigger and better weapons.

Its hilarious.. it always has to turn into some war of my opinion is better than yours.

I like Mil gear. I dont want to walk around for 10 hours and end up with a crossbow. This is an apocalypse scenario here.. I would not be having the issues I have in this game in real life. I would walk straight to my local police station, armory, or gun shop and boom, Im armed to the teeth. I would easily find food, water, etc.. those parts would be easy. I repeat EASY.

Its the staying alive from the zeds, and other armed players that should make this game. If they can get that part right, than the looting is just secondary. The way its been with the mods, and the SA up to now is either full on PVP or almost no PVP because the zeds are so damn dangerous. Make the zeds so dangerous that you fear shooting your weapon for what happens next. Anyone play the mods where the zeds would see you and hear you from miles away almost, and they would spawn in packs of about 30-40 per player in towns? It was craziness. That was survival. But if they make the entire focus of the game looting..

well than is it even a survival game anymore or just a glorified treasure hunt?

Totally agree.

Military gear isnt the issue if the only thing everyone keeps referring to is the M4 - that means the M4 is the issue.

You could be decked in military gear and be terrible at the game, or you could be naked with a hammer and beat people down. This isn't like other stat based mmos where gear plays the game for you, there are no artificial values to gear like +10 strength or anything, player skill is everything.

Besides, people are mostly in it for the pockets, so what would be the difference if everyone runs around in cammies or everyone runs around in a hoodie and cargo pants if they had the same slots and they practically do (2 less total). Perhaps then the issue isn't too much military gear, its a lack of viable alternative clothing.

I prefer military gear because that is exactly what I have a surplus of in my house and its exactly what I would be wearing in an apocalypse. Most survivors would head to military camps, police stations, gun shops and tactical stores right away in real life anyway.

From a weapon perspective I really don't see the big deal about the M4, its just the generic "middle groud" weapon

Sawed off - best close combat

Mosin - best long range combat

M4 is somewhere in the middle and depending on the parts you use it with you can shift it in favor of either style, but at most it will always be second best to something else.

That being said I have never died to an M4 since the average user just sprays and prays, but I have been killed by a host of other weapons.

I still have to laugh at the idea that military gear is "the best". It isn't always the best. There are some advantages to military gear, but in a world without infinite ammo, I would use an M4 no differently than an AR. They are nearly the same gun, but the AR just doesn't have a fully automatic mode. But then, if you are trying to actually kill someone, you aren't shooting fully automatic. You are doing that to suppress return fire.

If something like this were to actually happen and you offered me an AR or a fully automatic AK-47, my considerations would be durability, reliability, and accuracy. Not the size of the bullet or the rate of fire beyond semi-automatic.

Miltiary M4s are not automatic either, they have safe, semi and burst, at least in the states.

Maybe the answer is to just remove fully automatic and put it as three round burst. That would solve a large chunk of this "military gear" debate which is 90% centered around the M4 and has nothing to do with the rest of the "gear" (clothing)

Edited by Dethsupport

You also need to keep in mind the game isn't set in the US, where nearly every resident has a weapon or two or three. 

You also need to keep in mind the game isn't set in the US, where nearly every resident has a weapon or two or three. 

2 or 3? don't you mean 10-50?

Don't exaggerate that much ^^

^thinks I am exaggerating :(

P1010014-1_zps62341990.jpg

And that is just a small selection from my collection bit dated photo to.

Welcome to the south, here our guns have guns and our crime rates are miraculously low :D

Edited by Franchi

Welcome to the south, were our guns have guns :D

Looks like my closet....

Welcome to the south, were our guns have guns and our crime rates are miraculously low :D

Too many civilian weapons.

Needs nerf - obviously OP.

Need more military weapons to counterbalance now.

Edited by Dethsupport
  • Like 1

Looks like my closet....

Some day when I get off my rear and build the door that is gonna be my 8x9 walk in gun, safe cinder-block walls filled with rebar and concrete steel reinforced concrete floor and roof it even has outlets. I had my PC in there when I was re-modeling my office.

I kinda miss playing in there.

Edited by Franchi

yep yep yep

civvie guns are gonna be considered anything not mosin/sks/cz550/m4 ect ect

generic gun names like "rifle" and "shotgun" maybe? lol.

SKS and Mosin are not military weapons, they are civilian weapons now.

Miltiary M4s are not automatic either, they have safe, semi and burst, at least in the states.

Maybe the answer is to just remove fully automatic and put it as three round burst. That would solve a large chunk of this "military gear" debate which is 90% centered around the M4 and has nothing to do with the rest of the "gear" (clothing)

I for one, would much rather have a three round burst. There is a reason the military has moved to that as a standard for these sorts of rifles. Still, any amount of automatic fire is generally the determining factor for "military" or "not military".

I for one, would much rather have a three round burst. There is a reason the military has moved to that as a standard for these sorts of rifles. Still, any amount of automatic fire is generally the determining factor for "military" or "not military".

Rename the M4 to AR15

Swap automatic to semi only

OR

Keep the M4

Swap automatic for three round burst

Satisfy 95% of the people who think military gear is a problem.

Edited by Dethsupport

Rename the M4 to AR15

OR

Keep the M4

Nah. Can still have it called the M4... People will still find a reason to bitch about it.

Rename the M4 to AR15

OR

Keep the M4

The verdict is still out, lets see how my "SKS and Mosin are not military" comment is received.

The verdict is still out, lets see how my "SKS and Mosin are not military" comment is received.

They are former military and ceremonial now at most.

They definitely fall under civilian at this point.

Hollywood has this perception of the US military as stupid uneducated bloodthirsty rednecks and the poor who join the military becasue they don't have any other options. This leads them to portray the military as for the most part incompetent.

No, the military is trained to shoot center mass on a target. EVERYONE knows you can't kill a zombie that way.... except the military.