Sign in to follow this  
t1337dude

Disconnecting While Unconscious Shouldn't Kill You!

If you're bleeding and unconscious and you disconnect - you should die. If you're bandaged, unconscious,  and you disconnect - you should live. Why?

Because if

A) The game crashes

B ) The server crashes/restarts

C) Your computer crashes

D) Your internet drops

While your friends are busy trying to get your blood/saline and an epi-pen, then you're dead for no good reason. I just spent an hour sitting here unconscious while my friend was grabbing me an epi-pen and saline bag. Literally 40 seconds before he got back to my unconscious body, my computer randomly restarted from an error I've never seen before in my life. From now on I'm just going to D/C and run back to my corpse because it seems a lot safer, easier, and faster at this point.

Agreements? Disagreements?

Edited by t1337Dude

That could be hard to do because of the current damage system. There's a line between "bandaged" and "not bleeding". I know sometimes with the current system it is possible to be shot/knocked out without a drop of blood being spilled. The current system is definitely necessary. Also imagine if you lean out from a wall, get popped, your buddy bandages you, and has no blood, saline, epi, or anything to revive you. You could just log and be safe with your gear until your buddy finds the necessary materials. The system is brutal, yeah, and mistakes happen, but it is completely necessary.

• Like 1

If you're bleeding and unconscious and you disconnect - you should die. If you're bandaged, unconscious,  and you disconnect - you should live. Why?

Because if

A) The game crashes

C) Your computer crashes

D) Your internet drops

While your friends are busy trying to get your blood/saline and an epi-pen, then you're dead for no good reason. I just spent an hour sitting here unconscious while my friend was grabbing me an epi-pen and saline bag. Literally 40 seconds before he got back to my unconscious body, my computer randomly restarted from an error I've never seen before in my life. From now on I'm just going to D/C and run back to my corpse because it seems a lot safer, easier, and faster at this point.

Disagree, people always cite "internet drops" and the like for all kinds of things mostly to get the anti-ghost and annoy hoppers timer off.

Sometimes shit just doesn't go your way sunshine, if it always went perfectly then I'd be a millionaire agreeing with you from my yacht in the tropics.

People who would benefit from this change.  Combat loggers who are knocked unconscious and want to bail before they die so they can relog with all their gear. I can't think of anyone else cos people who don't log are usually man or woman enough to handle losing their gear.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 5

I don't really know how I feel about this. I understand why you want it implemented but it has ridiculous abuse potential. People who go unconscious will just log out and be completely safe not subject to zombies, other players or the environment (which will be playing a large factor in the future). So instead of being knocked out and suffering from possible attacks, robberies or succumbing to hypothermia people will just log out and wait for a medic or their friends to get to their location. Then they simply log back in and have someone patch them up to get them on their feet with minimal risk involved.

I've been disconnected while unconscious before and I know its pretty lame but I just shrug it off - its really no different than an unarmed bambi/bandit/KOS running up to my unconscious body, taking my shit and beating me to death while I was helpless. I just pretend that's what occurred and being *begin my new character alone, naked and afraid.

EDIT - fixed typo

Edited by Dethsupport

If you have a poor internet connection or a computer that crashes frequently, that is not the fault of the developers and/or the other players. Sort your own stuff out that end, because the developers have enough to do without having to work around a pretty small minority of people who for whatever reason are unable to sustain a stable internet connection/computer.

Generally, for all the other pluses and minuses of the Alpha, the executable itself has generally been pretty stable without a tremendous amount of crashing. That only leaves server crashes and restarts, which aren't tremendously common, and you'd have to be pretty unlucky to have one hit the very moment you went unconscious. But shit happens sometimes, and if that's the worst thing that happens to you in any given week, then you're doing okay by my reckoning.

Simply put, the potential for abuse is way too high for the tiny number of legitimate situations that this could help. There are way bigger fish to fry right now.

People who would benefit from this change.  Combat loggers who are knocked unconscious and want to bail before they die so they can relog with all their gear.

This ^. It would be exploited, so no. I would rather lose my gear by the extremely rare accidental disconnect than have unconcious loggers.

• Like 1

I had a server restart on a friend who was unconscious, was headed his way to sort him out.  When we all relogged, he was still unconscious and we brought him back.  So server restarts, at least in that specific instance, did not cause him to die while unconscious.

Combat loggers who are knocked unconscious and want to bail before they die so they can relog with all their gear.

This ^. It would be exploited, so no. I would rather lose my gear by the extremely rare accidental disconnect than have unconcious loggers.

It's a little painful that you guys can't read - so let me reiterate the very first sentence of this thread for you.

If you're bleeding and unconscious and you disconnect - you should die.

Combat loggers would be bleeding when they log out, therefore they would die. C'mon guys, this isn't THAT hard to understand.

It's a little painful that you guys can't read - so let me reiterate the very first sentence of this thread for you.

Combat loggers would be bleeding when they log out, therefore they would die. C'mon guys, this isn't THAT hard to understand.

I read your post - did you read mine? It still has potential for abuse.

I fail to see how bleeding or not should make any difference.

Server restarts are not counted as disconnecting.  I've experienced this, as mentioned above.  So that just leaves internet dropped connection.  Are you really saying the game should see design changes for these rare occasions?  How many times do you expect to be unconscious when you internet drops?  Sounds incredibly rare to me.

Edited by MadTommy

If you have a poor internet connection or a computer that crashes frequently, that is not the fault of the developers and/or the other players. Sort your own stuff out that end, because the developers have enough to do without having to work around a pretty small minority of people who for whatever reason are unable to sustain a stable internet connection/computer.

Every single person's computer occasionally restarts for one reason or another. People with perfect computers that have never crashed randomly before are absolutely in the minority - not the other way around. Tons of servers restart in short intervals. Servers crash pretty frequently on their own as well. Tons of people have game crashes unrelated to the state of their computer as well.

Really - server restarts is the only good reason anyone needs. Many servers are on 2-hour restart intervals or less. If you need more reasons than that - you're being argumentative just for the sake, but crashing and internet problems is real and happens to the majority of people (at least rarely).

I mean, what if I just want to log off and play later? Is there a good reason that if you're knocked unconscious, but are stable in health - that you should die? I can't think of a single one...

I fail to see how bleeding or not should make any difference.

Server restarts are not counted as disconnecting.  I've experienced this, as mentioned above.  So that just leaves internet dropped connection.  Are you really saying the game should see design changes for these rare occasions?  How many times do you expect to be unconscious when you internet drops?  Sounds incredibly rare to me.

Why, are you blind? If you're bleeding, you've just been shot. If you aren't bleeding - you're been bandaged. Not hard to understand - it simply differentiates between a combat logger or not.

It also leaves game crashes. It also leaves computer crashes. It also leaves for any occasion that someone might want to leave and come back later - because being knocked unconscious usually sets up for a lengthy follow-up of playtime if no medical supplies are onhand.

Edited by t1337Dude

I understand where your coming from, but at the same time, would not want to see it change.

I have been screwed by unconscious before. My buddy got shot in the head, not a drop of blood was lost, he woke up after about 30secs. I get shot, knocked me out, Im bleeding. my buddy bandages me. Im out cold for the next 15min. It sucks, but had I been able to logout there, then I would have been combat logging. Combat logging is stupid, if you do it, you should burn in the fiery pits of hell.

Not true. Refer to what I just told you ^
Edited by Kukui

Maybe you need to read.. server restarts are not treated the same as a player disconnecting. You are not killed.

I love being in the minority.. my PC never crashes nor has Dayz ever done this.. :)

They read your post it seems fairly clear you either didnt read theres or didnt want to hear there opinions because it didnt suit your specific situation....

People can be knocked out and not bleeding aka hit to balistic helm allowing what you want gives these people a possible log .... I can understand your frustration and nope the system isnt perfect and some times you get the rough end of the stick but what you have said in your post is a 1 in a 1000 situation to make a change for that is a waste of production time and is open to exploit..

So id say no but i aint a dev make it a suggestion in the suggestion section and see what happens but if non devs can see the flaws i am sure they can to ..

Get shot at, hide while bandaging to stop bleeding. then combat log.. Is that too hard for you to understand?

People who go unconscious will just log out and be completely safe not subject to zombies, other players or the environment (which will be playing a large factor in the future). So instead of being knocked out and suffering from possible attacks, robberies or succumbing to hypothermia people will just log out and wait for a medic or their friends to get to their location.

You didn't read my post. Read it yet again.

If you're bleeding and unconscious and you disconnect - you should die.

If you don't understand, let me point it out to you. You can't be knocked out and log out to wait for your friends because you'd be bleeding - thus dead upon log out. You would have to have had medical attention at the point you've been knocked down (bandages).

Maybe you need to read.. server restarts are not treated the same as a player disconnecting. You are not killed.

I love being in the minority.. my PC never crashes nor has Dayz ever done this.. :)

I see the point but I don't completely agree with this. I've had server restarts kill me during unconsciousness by kicking me randomly after rejoining or by giving me a random error. In fact, I get kicked from servers all the time from various errors right after joining, which typically leaves me to wait 5 minutes before I can join another.

This is a SUPER SUPER small suggestion so I don't expect much attention to be brought to it. It's not a big deal at all. I'm only making this thread because this is the 2nd time this has happened to me, but only after 70+ hours of play time. Just feels a bit on the lame side and I think it could use some tweaking. Combat logging is bad - so I'd never want to make that possible again. But if we can differentiate between combat logging and a medical situation just like any other - I'd prefer if they were treated as different situations.

Edited by t1337Dude

I shot a guy and heard him on direct after saying he was unconscious and wanted me to wake him back up, he wasn't bleeding but it was defiantly a situation where if he'd logged and under the system you proposed would have been able to come back and shoot me in the face.

Still I always double tap just to be sure this situation when he went down I couldn't see his body.

Much like MadTommy I also enjoy being in the minority of people who has a stable internet connection and very few crashes, beside if the DayZ god's where unkind enough to make this extremely specific situation that you described happen to me I wouldn't actually give a shit because I've died to many many glitches and bugs far more often then this single scenario, mostly because this has never happened to me.

I agree with what you're trying to say, OP, but the fact remains, it's far more likely to be abused by cowards taking fire, finding some temporary cover, quickly bandaging any of their buddies that are unconscious and then hitting alt-f4 than the current system is going to cut off genuine players who are victims of a random crash (I'm sorry, but I don't believe that people who rarely experience crashes are in the minority - if you look after your computer, there's no reason it should randomly crash/restart without warning barring some kind of serious issue).

If you've had this happen to you twice in 70 hours of play, you are either desperately unlucky or you are a terrible player, because you would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time being knocked unconscious. :p

But yeah, my point is, whilst it's a noble thought, it's too open to exploitation by cowards.

You didn't read my post. Read it yet again.

If you don't understand, let me point it out to you. You can't be knocked out and log out to wait for your friends because you'd be bleeding - thus dead upon log out. You would have to have had medical attention at the point you've been knocked down (bandages).

And you keep ignoring the fact that people can be shot and knocked out and not bleed. It happened twice a couple nights ago to my friend.

Then another friend was shot on sniper hill. I snuck up while my friends directed fire there and bandaged my friend.

Things got bad because I epi-penned him but he didn't get back up (it took 5 minutes). I had to wait around because he might hace required a second epi pen. Thing was, while I was waiting, they came back, chased me off (I stripped naked to get to him leaving my gear in the woods) and then shot him in the head because they saw I had bandaged him.

In your proposed fix, he could have logged while unconcious and I would have crawled away a lot sooner.

AND AGAIN, YOU DONT ALWAYS BLEED WHEN KNOCKED OUT EVEN WHEN SHOT.

If you have such an epidemic of getting knocked out and then bandaged and the nkt having a means to gain consciousness normally AND then drop internet right at that time, you are quite unlucky.

My advice, don't get knocked out.

Because if

A) The game crashes

C) Your computer crashes

D) Your internet drops

I agree! Bullets shouldn't either. Being shot in the face and dying because of it is such bullshit.