Sign in to follow this  
ChimpyGlassman (DayZ)

FPS in Cities

Tend to be getting 15-20fps. Dont know enough about overclocking to risk my comp though.

Texture detail has never affected FPS, it affects vram and how fast the engine loads the textures. Lowering the quality can speed up the loading process, but that's all. I'm going to try to pump up to very high everything I haven't disabled and see if that makes the difference in cities (this game at 60fps is all I need for now, I can wait for the rest very patiently).

Edit: This is not my video, I found it in the bug tracker. It demonstrates the problem perfectly on a system that's up there with the best money can buy.

The Game is alpha and its not optimized, that is the only issue here, very little we can do until the dev get to this!

The Game is alpha and its not optimized, that is the only issue here, very little we can do until the dev get to this!

I have been here long enough to know that, but we're just discussing why FPS seems to take a nose-dive in cities. I simply provided a YouTube link that demonstrates a very big problem with GPU usage, hopefully they are working on it and Rocket posted on Twitter a few days ago saying they have been taking feedback from hardware manufacturers.

Exactly. We all know/hope that the final version will run at a steadily 60 fps. But we are trying to figure out the best way to play as it is.

30 in the wilds, 20 in cities. 

I can deal with it but I do hope they sort it out a bit better soon. Was playing Battlefield 4 last night and the smoothness of 60+ FPS made me realise how annoying it does get sometimes when playing DayZ.

I-5 4650 3.2ghz, 8GB RAM 1600ghz, GTX770 2GB and a 2TB caviar black.

30-45 FPS in the wilderness and towns

20-35 in the cities

• Like 1

20-35 in the cities

What resolution and settings do you use? Your system is very similar to mine but I get 18-24 in major laggy cities.

20-35 in the cities

See it's funny because I have a better processor and more RAM at a higher clock speed than you and I never get above about 30, same GPU. 

I'm going to say it's because my processor is AMD and yours is Intel - that's about the only real difference I can pick and it seems like people who have Intel processors are getting slightly higher FPS.

• Like 1

20-35 in the cities

I think that just about says it all doesn't it.

A descent rig like that and still cities still seem to take a huge bite out of your FPS.

99.99% certain they will optimise and bring it all in line.

See it's funny because I have a better processor and more RAM at a higher clock speed than you and I never get above about 30, same GPU. 

I'm going to say it's because my processor is AMD and yours is Intel - that's about the only real difference I can pick and it seems like people who have Intel processors are getting slightly higher FPS.

I would say so, my friend -

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/175579-game-lacks-support-for-amd-cpus-amd-crossfire-systems/

In the wild, I'm getting 60-100 fps with everything completely maxed out. In big cities/, it does drop to 30-35 fps, though the latest patch has increased overall performance by quite a bit

Like arma 3, this game is heavily cpu bound and not optimized yet.

My setup:

i7 2600k @ 4.6Ghz

GTX 780 Ti @ 1206mhz

16GB 1600mhz

2 x SSD Raid 0

In the wild, I'm getting 60-100 fps with everything completely maxed out. In big cities/, it does drop to 30-35 fps, though the latest patch has increased overall performance by quite a bit

Like arma 3, this game is heavily cpu bound and not optimized yet.

My setup:

i7 2600k @ 4.6Ghz

GTX 780 Ti @ 1206mhz

16GB 1600mhz

2 x SSD Raid 0

Nice rig sir.

I'll try setting my -maxMem to 2048 and see if that helps, I currently have it on 4096. Everything else looks a bit similar other than me using the ATOC on trees and grass (doesn't seem to affect my framerate at all and thankfully I don't get the glitches people mention, I think that might be an AMD issue).

Had this on 7870, 7950 and R9 290. Blue/white dots on all coniferous trees and grass looks like waffles if any ATOC setting is enabled.

Had this on 7870, 7950 and R9 290. Blue/white dots on all coniferous trees and grass looks like waffles if any ATOC setting is enabled.

I think that must be an incompatibility with AMD drivers or something, I have tried this game on a GTX 580 and GTX 760 but I have seen nothing like that. I love the ATOC.

What resolution and settings do you use? Your system is very similar to mine but I get 18-24 in major laggy cities.

That's very strange! Maxed setting except for I believe high on antialiasing and normal on shadows. My resolution is 1920x1080.

As a general trend and especially with Arma Intel CPU's seem to perform better. Not always the case but usually.

I think that just about says it all doesn't it.

A descent rig like that and still cities still seem to take a huge bite out of your FPS.

99.99% certain they will optimise and bring it all in line.

I hope they do because really I and a lot of us should be hitting a solid 60FPS all around.

That's very strange! Maxed setting except for I believe high on antialiasing and normal on shadows. My resolution is 1920x1080.

This slightly annoys me. I am running in 2560x1440 but almost everything is on normal, including anti-aliasing, but with the trees + grass filter on.

I would expect a performance difference because of the resolution, but I don't know why I am dropping so low as 18-24 in towns when I get 60 FPS elsewhere, and I am not sure why my GPU usage drops from 99% to 50% when I am in a city.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 2

This slightly annoys me. I am running in 2560x1440 but almost everything is on normal, including anti-aliasing, but with the trees + grass filter on.

I would expect a performance difference because of the resolution, but I don't know why I am dropping so low as 18-24 in towns when I get 60 FPS elsewhere, and I am not sure why my GPU usage drops from 99% to 50% when I am in a city.

This game in all fairness is messed up. I've never seen a game that has such performance problems apart from when I played Skyrim on release on the PS3 and got 5 FPS... The only thing that worries me is that they might not start optimising the client side of things till Beta which could be over a year from now.

• Like 2

Seconded, overclocking my CPU from 3.3 to 4.0 made zero difference to my framerate. I'll try higher, but should have seen something by now if it worked.

Same, i did a week or so of oc'ing and benchmarking and had nearly no noticable difference from 3.3 ghz up to 4.2 so dropped it back to factory. 

Last night in Zeleno a bunch of us were getting constant drops and freezes to the point were we had to leave because it became unplayable.

• Like 1

AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4 black box

8 gig ddr2 (forgot speed) 

radeon hd 7950 3 gig GPU

I have tweaked a little bit of the config files, nothing that really made a difference on the looks, but helped fps a little. then run steam launch options as

"-cpuCount=4 -nosplash -noPause -maxMem=8192".  

I have most of my in game options as normal, with shadows and clouds on high. 

I get about 20-30fps (usually more around 20) in cities and then 40-160 fps in forrest (160 looking at the ocean lol) 

I just now put the game on my ssd to see if it helps at all with performance other than loading. 

I am upgrading my system in a few weeks to a AMD fx-9370 4.4   8 core,  16 gig ddr3 1600 ram, same video card as I have now as I'm sure it was being bottlenecked by my current system. Next year I might throw another one of the cards for giggles (love the card now as is, gets any job done so far). 

Can monitors affect frame rate as well? I've noticed even after upgrading a lot of my stuff I'm still topping out at 60 fps and that's the way my old graphics card was too, but on my girlfriends computer with a different monitor and my old gpu, she gets like 80fps sometimes