Sign in to follow this  
LigerRider

Haven't went through more than the first few pages in suggestions, but didn't spot anything on karma.

The mod had humanity, well, humanity is more unrealistic. (I don't believe in karma either, but its more realistic)

So imagine a Karma system. Non measurable, no way of knowing what your karma is except for what you've done and a vague idea from character's look (scars etc). Killing = -Karma. Bandaging, giving food, morphine, etc = +karma.

Karma can say, increase or decrease your chances of being knocked out by a punch, or affect chances of a broken leg after a fall, or the chance to contract a sickness. Minor stuff, nothing real "game changing", but more of a nuisance really.

Now to distinguish, the lower the Karma, the more scarred up your character is. Scars, burn marks, sunken eyes, etc. So bandits are more likely to wear face masks etc, while decent players will not be trying to hide their scarred up face.

"That zombie just one punched me and damaged my helmet, then mauled my body! Thats BS!" 

"Perhaps it was karma for all the bambis you killed today..."

Edited by LigerRider

But true heroes cover their faces...

Maybe perhaps having the ability to rip sleeves off clothing. Arms could become scarred and burned up like faces? Maybe just rip one sleeve off to show your "karma" isn't low? I haven't figured out all the kinks to the idea yet xD

A standings/rep grinding system? See Eve-Online and piracy to learn why that doesn't work well. I'd be running around the starting areas randomly bandaging people and force feeding them antibiotics so that I could go on another killing spree. Though when I say it like that...

The price for being a douche in the real world is that eventually you will be left all alone. So should it be in DayZ.

Please no arbitrary systems that force players to be reactionary. Every game has that. Let's let these type of things be determined by the community, not something forced on us arbitrarily.

• Like 1

Oh god no. This can only make the game worse. Oh, you killed someone? Now you're easier to KO.

Would this happen in real life? No.

Then why would it happen in DayZ.

Oh god no. This can only make the game worse. Oh, you killed someone? Now you're easier to KO.

It could happen in real life, prove to me that karma isn't real. B)

I can't, but you can't prove that it's real.

Makes no logical sense because it's impossible to prove a negative. It's not a useful way to conduct a conversation.

Makes no logical sense because it's impossible to prove a negative. It's not a useful way to conduct a conversation.

Just... This!

This is also what I told him 20 minutes ago, just without using any of those fancy-pancy words.

All for the idea of ​​scars and other body markings that reveal your karma. Maybe it could depend on the amount of shootings in which you participated. If you were injured or not. Etc.

Well, it's like religion. Some people strongly believe in it, others don't. I'm not saying its perfect, but it was my suggestion for a way to think twice before going out killing bambis, with minimal penalties if you so decide to play that way.

All for the idea of ​​scars and other body markings that reveal your karma. Maybe it could depend on the amount of shootings in which you participated. If you were injured or not. Etc.

This.

I approve of the idea of battle scars for people who have seen lots of injuries. A scarred up face would have a story to tell, but it could easily be from either side of the hero/bandit fence so still won't be a reliable indicator of disposition.

A karma/humanity system can swivel though, not only because it's impossible to code to understand the context of any given situation, it's also not particularly authentic. This has been covered hundreds of times though.

Haven't went through more than the first few pages in suggestions, but didn't spot anything on karma.

The mod had humanity, well, humanity is more unrealistic. (I don't believe in karma either, but its more realistic)

So imagine a Karma system. Non measurable, no way of knowing what your karma is except for what you've done and a vague idea from character's look (scars etc). Killing = -Karma. Bandaging, giving food, morphine, etc = +karma.

Karma can say, increase or decrease your chances of being knocked out by a punch, or affect chances of a broken leg after a fall, or the chance to contract a sickness. Minor stuff, nothing real "game changing", but more of a nuisance really.

Now to distinguish, the lower the Karma, the more scarred up your character is. Scars, burn marks, sunken eyes, etc. So bandits are more likely to wear face masks etc, while decent players will not be trying to hide their scarred up face.

"That zombie just one punched me and damaged my helmet, then mauled my body! Thats BS!" 

"Perhaps it was karma for all the bambis you killed today..."

Honestly there should be -- if anything -- a Sanity system.

The real problem I see with a karma/or sanity mechanic is how they give positive karma/sanity.  The way I see it is that people are obviously going to not want "Negative Karma/Sanity" because it obviously gives negative affects.  They need to keep accurate values for every single character that signs into the public hives, so negative karma/sanity players do not be credited with the equivalent values as a coast spawn character would get for giving things like blood transfusions, bandages, giving food/water, etc.

For Example:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coast Spawn -- Neutral Karma -- 

Has a +10 Karma/Sanity Gain for any positive interactions, respectively.

Has a -20 Karma/Sanity Gain for negative interactions, respectively.

[Characters have a 10% chance upon spawn to be resilient to the insanity effects]

- Values over -200 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 50%.

- Values over -500 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 75%, visual scarring may be possible as quoted.

- Values over -1000 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 90%. 

- Any Value over -1000 will result in permanent damage to +Karma/Sanity which results in "insanity".  

- Once players reach "insanity" they have permanent paranoia, they start to hear sounds such as clip loading, magazine reloads, zombie screeches, weapon shots, footsteps, etc.  Once at this stage, players must be HEAVILY DEPENDENT on some sort of medications to ONLY lower the effects, not erase them.  Lasts until death.

[NOTE: Values subject to change, ironically the last bullet is in the Alpha but not intentionally...]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, as discussed before by other forum members here is that there is another problem with the servers determining if someone killed out of defense or aggression.  If there was a way to make some sort of determination -- i.e. values -- then I can see it being a more realistic system/mechanic than any other type of suggestion regarding "Humanity".  Your suggestion is decent, I just believe that Sanity would be better in ways of penalizing those whom just KoS all day, every day.  I believe that with the combinations of proper item degradation, zombie population/AI optimizations, passive crafting/skill progression, sanity/karma would make such a unique -- IMO better -- play style for DayZ.  Then truly, preserving your character would not only involve maintaining/collecting your gear but also your mental health and losing your crafting/skill progression on that character.  So then knowing someone who possesses more medical or mechanical skills will have significance, and will backlash only those whom just simply "KoS" without any care.

I am not completely against KoS; though it's not the ONLY element DayZ has to offer in its universe.

Edited by Lidskjalf

Well, it's like religion. Some people strongly believe in it, others don't. I'm not saying its perfect, but it was my suggestion for a way to think twice before going out killing bambis, with minimal penalties if you so decide to play that way.

This.

I think, to get people to invest in your idea, you need to provide a convincing reason as to why people should be arbitrarily punished or labelled by the game for any sort of behaviour. I'm yet to see a convincing or compelling argument from anyone on these forums why the game should handle these punishments and not the community as the devs obviously intend.

Honestly there should be -- if anything -- a Sanity system.

The real problem I see with a karma/or sanity mechanic is how they give positive karma/sanity.  The way I see it is that people are obviously going to not want "Negative Karma/Sanity" because it obviously gives negative affects.  They need to keep accurate values for every single character that signs into the public hives, so negative karma/sanity players do not be credited with the equivalent values as a coast spawn character would get for giving things like blood transfusions, bandages, giving food/water, etc.

For Example:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Coast Spawn -- Neutral Karma -- 

Has a +10 Karma/Sanity Gain for any positive interactions, respectively.

Has a -20 Karma/Sanity Gain for negative interactions, respectively.

[Characters have a 10% chance upon spawn to be resilient to the insanity effects]

- Values over -200 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 50%.

- Values over -500 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 75%, visual scarring may be possible as quoted.

- Values over -1000 reduce +Karma/Sanity interactions by 90%. 

- Any Value over -1000 will result in permanent damage to +Karma/Sanity which results in "insanity".  

- Once players reach "insanity" they have permanent paranoia, they start to hear sounds such as clip loading, magazine reloads, zombie screeches, weapon shots, footsteps, etc.  Once at this stage, players must be HEAVILY DEPENDENT on some sort of medications to ONLY lower the effects, not erase them.  Lasts until death.

[NOTE: Values subject to change, ironically the last bullet is in the Alpha but not intentionally...]

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, as discussed before by other forum members here is that there is another problem with the servers determining if someone killed out of defense or aggression.  If there was a way to make some sort of determination -- i.e. values -- then I can see it being a more realistic system/mechanic than any other type of suggestion regarding "Humanity".  Your suggestion is decent, I just believe that Sanity would be better in ways of penalizing those whom just KoS all day, every day.  I believe that with the combinations of proper item degradation, zombie population/AI optimizations, passive crafting/skill progression, sanity/karma would make such a unique -- IMO better -- play style for DayZ.  Then truly, preserving your character would not only involve maintaining/collecting your gear but also your mental health and losing your crafting/skill progression on that character.  So then knowing someone who possesses more medical or mechanical skills will have significance, and will backlash only those whom just simply "KoS" without any care.

I am not completely against KoS; though it's not the ONLY element DayZ has to offer in its universe.

First of all, you do not need a giant wall of colored and bold text just because you want people to look at your post.

Second of all, your system is entirely arbitrary, as you admit (There's no good way to tell how 'interactions' happened without being there yourself) and assumes that everyone would be driven mad because they shoot people. Schizophrenia as well as other insanity-based diagnoses vary heavily on the subjects they do affect, and many people who have said syndrome have had similar experiences resulting in it. Hell, there are murderers and rapists who you'll often see on TV giving interviews, and are clearly apathetic and nonchalant towards the situation.

No arbitrary systems are needed, it makes way too many assumptions to work, and does more harm than good in the end.

I'm yet to see a convincing or compelling argument from anyone on these forums why the game should handle these punishments and not the community as the devs obviously intend.

But then again, you're talking about a video game.  People do not act realistically as they would under those certain circumstances...  It's not like all people -- normal people -- would be able to handle some of the events outside of DayZ, such as murdering someone just because you saw them.  There always has to be a line drawn in the video game world between reality and replay-ability, because it always goes to the lowest common denominator ALWAYS.  What's the easiest thing to do that takes the least effort?

Hmm, I wonder what that could be.

What's the easiest thing to do that takes the least effort?

That is exactly what should be discouraged with this game. Every game on the market is filled with this mentality. Things should be difficult and should take effort.

Also, any reason that your text is crazily coloured? It's headache inducing. :p

Edited by Nicko2580