Sign in to follow this  
Nicko2580

Information Vs. Immersion

Information Vs. Immersion  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer:

• More status icons for information?
    • More information directly from your avatar in the form of animations/sounds?
    • A balance of the two?
    • Something else? (Please Comment)
  2. 2. Do you think that DayZ requires highly detailed status information (exact numbers or % displayed for health, blood etc) that is found in other games?:

• Yes
    • No
    • Other? (Please comment)
  3. 3. Tick the boxes which are the most important to you:

• Immersion
    • Character information
    • Highly detailed character information
    • Survival
    • Fun
    • Good graphics
    • Ease
    • Difficulty

I may be missing the point here, but are we saying we don't like the little text blurbs I the bottom left or that we don't like the status icons in the inventory display (or both)?  I think the sort of pseudo inner monologue is the only real way to translate things that should be blatantly obvious into known information.  Take out the Healthy Icon sure, but make sure your monologue says something like "I feel great!" or "I haven't felt this good in a while."  When you have lots of energy, "I could go for a run." or "I need to do something, I have way too much energy."  I mean it doesn't have to be so blatant, but you get what I'm saying.  If the status keeps up, repeat the saying ever x minutes - not enough to be annoying, but enough that if for some reason you missed it the first time you could see it again.

I have no problem with the status icons, but if they were removed in favor of the text only then that's great.  Removing both in favor of visual or auditory clues doesn't make a tonne of sense - especially the auditory clues, because then rather than an inner monologue you're just saying it aloud.  And if it isn't even words, new players will be like "Did that groan mean hungry? Blood loss?  Sick?"  Becomes to vague and confusing.

Great thread tho!

• Like 3

I may be missing the point here, but are we saying we don't like the little text blurbs I the bottom left or that we don't like the status icons in the inventory display (or both)?  I think the sort of pseudo inner monologue is the only real way to translate things that should be blatantly obvious into known information.  Take out the Healthy Icon sure, but make sure your monologue says something like "I feel great!" or "I haven't felt this good in a while."  When you have lots of energy, "I could go for a run." or "I need to do something, I have way too much energy."  I mean it doesn't have to be so blatant, but you get what I'm saying.  If the status keeps up, repeat the saying ever x minutes - not enough to be annoying, but enough that if for some reason you missed it the first time you could see it again.

I have no problem with the status icons, but if they were removed in favor of the text only then that's great.  Removing both in favor of visual or auditory clues doesn't make a tonne of sense - especially the auditory clues, because then rather than an inner monologue you're just saying it aloud.  And if it isn't even words, new players will be like "Did that groan mean hungry? Blood loss?  Sick?"  Becomes to vague and confusing.

Great thread tho!

Well, I consider the inner monologue to be in my head, since I am playing the survivor. That's kind of the point. I would like the text to stay more than I would like icons to be implemented (because I am an old school text base MUD player, so that makes sense to me   :P ) but preferably having them all removed would be best. The thing I don't want most is to just be able to flick open my inventory and see all my statuses. It makes it seem like I don't have to pay attention to details.

But what this thread is for is to gauge roughly how people feel and for them to put their own ideas down as well. Hopefully with enough comments the devs will at least take a peek in here and they can poach anything they feel like. That's all. And the poll is there to give everyone a feel for the major themes running through most players minds when they play DayZ.

If the visual/audio cues are distinct from each other, it shouldn't be very hard to model a bunch of different things (see a few posts in this thread for some great ideas from people). As I've said a few times, the energy and hydration meters are about the only two that would have to stay. 

As for noobs learning... well this is DayZ, not COD. A steep learning curve should be expected here I feel.

Edited by Nicko2580

Well, I consider the inner monologue to be in my head, since I am playing the survivor. That's kind of the point. I would like the text to stay more than I would like icons to be implemented (because I am an old school text base MUD player, so that makes sense to me   :P ) but preferably having them all removed would be best.

But what this thread is for is to gauge roughly how people feel and for them to put their own ideas down as well. Hopefully with enough comments the devs will at least take a peek in here and they can poach anything they feel like. That's all. And the poll is there to give everyone a feel for the major themes running through most players minds when they play DayZ.

If the visual/audio cues are distinct from each other, it shouldn't be very hard to model a bunch of different things (see a few posts in this thread for some great ideas from people). As I've said a few times, the energy and hydration meters are about the only two that would have to stay. 

As for noobs learning... well this is DayZ, not COD. A steep learning curve should be expected here I feel.

Oh no, I personally added a vote to difficulty - I'm an old school gamer too who gave up on CoD a ways back.  I'd need amphetamine or something to keep up with the kids nowadays lol.  If you wanted to go to straight visual/audio clues, then I guess why not just have the avatar say something to himself.  You have been drinking a few times from a canteen, and then one time you go to drink and the avatar blurts "I'm just not thirsty anymore."  For energy, have them bounce around like a boxer when in idle or something, or start doing some rapid breaths like someone readying themselves for energetic task or whatever.  There are options.

Not my first choice, but it would be interesting.  I love that I this game makes me "work for it" (or at least until you're fully kitted), and I'm totally against anything that a ) makes it too easy and b ) allows it to be "mathed out".

Edited by - Karma -
  • Like 1

Oh no, I personally added a vote to difficulty - I'm an old school gamer too who gave up on CoD a ways back.  I'd need amphetamine or something to keep up with the kids nowadays lol.  If you wanted to go to straight visual/audio clues, then I guess why not just have the avatar say something to himself.  You have been drinking a few times from a canteen, and then one time you go to drink and the avatar blurts "I'm just not thirsty anymore."  For energy, have them bounce around like a boxer when in idle or something, or start doing some rapid breaths like someone readying themselves for energetic task or whatever.  There are options.

Not my first choice, but it would be interesting.  I love that I this game makes me "work for it" (or at least until you're fully kitted), and I'm totally against anything that a ) makes it too easy and b ) allows it to be "mathed out".

Yes those are also my two biggest fears. I really want DayZ to be difficult on multiple levels. Any time something is introduced to dumb it down it will lessen my interest in the game.

However with Dean now stating that skills are probably going to make an appearance, even in passive form, I fear we're soon going to see at least some form of grinding. That's really going to break immersion for me personally and could result in me leaving the game, depending on how it's implemented. It will be 'mathed out' as you say within a week of skills being implemented, if they don't do it right.

Edited by Nicko2580
  • Like 1

I think this is why icons have to exist at least a little.  In real life, I know if I'm full or hungry by directing my attention to my stomach.  My stomach would grumble when empty, but it doesn't do anything when I'm full (maybe bow outward a little.)  When I come across food, I do mentally check if I'm hungry or not, but it's entirely internal.  This is where an icon you have to actively check makes sense.  Coarse information, actively queried, until it becomes a pressing issue.  Then it become always obvious, like starving.

True. My original thoughts when adding my vote to the poll were that you should have sounds and the like for unsatisfied needs such as hunger, but nothing when you're full - you usually don't think about being full after you've finished eating, and you don't pay much attention to your stomach thereafter unless you're excessively full or bloated.

I was thinking a bit along these lines originally as well. But given the way the game is set up, I honestly think that vagueness goes well with the cavalier approach the developers have had when it comes to providing - or not providing - a fair learning curve. Like navigation, where to loot, avoiding the ghetto and other such elements, you might have no idea what you're doing at first, but experience - usually with a few lives lost in between start and finish - will teach you where in other games you'd instead have tutorials to ease you into things.

• Like 2

3PP will always be here. I.use first only for covering my mates from a hill. I enjoy 3PP because it doesnt feel like CoD as much, until Im shot while walking up the beach. Just join 3pp off servers instead of teying to take it away from people who like it.

3PP will always be here. I.use first only for covering my mates from a hill. I enjoy 3PP because it doesnt feel like CoD as much, until Im shot while walking up the beach. Just join 3pp off servers instead of teying to take it away from people who like it.

This thread is not about 3pp, read it again. 

I specifically left 3pp out of this thread because there are 1000 other 3pp vs 1pp threads.