MyPassword is Chickens20

Impossible to be "Friendly" in this game. Resorted to Banditry.

I too have gone kos. I dont mind getting killed while exchanging fire, but when you take corner and someone just kills you, it's just pisses me off. So yes my gun is drawn always as well, waiting to shoot anything that moves.

Being friendly really takes a lot of work. It's even harder than it was in DayZ alpha. Back in Alpha I am a Hero in a few servers, bandit in none. Somehow players have become more hostile, so it takes utmost control of the situation to be able to esablish a friendly relationship with a stranger. Being friendly without having a bullet chased through your skull is the purest form of skill in my view, especially in Standalone. As a new player it's probably best to avoid non-bandit players and try to kill bandits by tactical means (meaning not just confronting them head-on, but taking your time and making sure you don't get injured). When you become a "tactical mastermind" you should try being friendly. It's the hardest and most skill-demanding thing in the entire game, so work your way to it.

Quick answer

Well, if start shooting on view - bandit, if not - possible bandit -> recommended precautions.

Be friendly doesn't mean trust people. Most times weak geared bandits play sneakly, good geared bandit don't need do it. If someone don't shot you, at first view you can't know he/she is bandit or not. Need watch behaviors, any suspicious movments, stay ready and predict possible moves.

When I first brought this game I had hopes of becoming a Friendly, Bandit killing machine much like youtubers such as FrankieOnPC. Soon after I came to the realization that unless your a recognized/famous Youtuber, Nobody is friendly. This game is just a slow paced, agitating Team death match.

I've come across and tried to help so many people and have been backstabbed/Set up near enough every time. Now I see myself becoming one of the very people ruining this game by shooting others on site for out of fear they're going to be the first to pull the trigger if I don't.

Heres a little story about what happened to me and my friend yesterday. - 

We was on a full server, and went up to the NE Airfield. As I approached the Traffic Control tower, I saw a guy coming down the stairs, Only being armed with a Mosin I pulled back to the Green building (Jail). He saw us and tried flanking around the back of the jail, I shouted friendly but saw him come round the corner with his M4 pulled. I quickly shot him with the mosin.

He spoke down the Mic and said "I wasnt going to shoot you, Can you revive me" I didnt believe him one bit but being the good guy I removed the ammo from his weapon, Injected him with Saline and Defibbed him. Also give him Morphine to fix his broken leg he somehow broke. Risking my own life being in the middle of the airfield helping a total stranger. I told him to run away and that he did.

Me and my friend got what we needed, Ran to the first houses across from the airfield to be fired upon, a few seconds later was laughed at down the headset by him and his friends as they looted our body.

This is why Im turning into a Bandit, Not helping anybody, Killing them on sight instead. 

Anybody had similar experiences?

YAY BANDIT BUDDY!

So there is no title in the game, its just what people prefer to be called. 90% so called heroes are most likely bandits. In that case im a bloody superhero, as i havent killed anyone ha ha.

There are 2 kinds of friendly. The first kind is most popular because it is too easy. This person shouts "Yoo hoo! I'm friendly! I'm friendly!" and wonders why he's always getting shot in the face when he just wants to give everyone flowers.

The friendly that survives is the one who doesn'[t trust just anyone. He will help you but only on his terms...otherwise he won't take any chances at the first sign of trouble. He doesn't play around but since he knows what he's doing, everyone wants to be on his side. That makes it easier to help more people.

Bottom line is you need to be tough and have skill in order to be effective.

• Like 3

We was on a full server, and went up to the NE Airfield.

There are places and times to be friendly.

The airfields are NO place for that. It's a combat zone. Whoever goes there wants military grade stuff or has just found it.

Neither would he (or you) willingly part with it nor allow some stranger to pick up that shiny M4 on the floor there so he can turn around and try it on you.

I'm usually not the KOS guy, but on airfields it is: Shoot first, ask questions later.

My idea of friendly is simply not just outright killing someone I get the jump on. I recently switched to the Experimental servers, and have ran into a lot more people. Sometimes they exchange words like "HEY I'M FRIENDLY DON'T SHOOT", while I say "Yeah sure, turn around and you won't get dead!" I then make the plan for both of us "You go that way, I go the other way. No one needs to die here." When in a group, and the same situation happens, based on the response of the player we happen upon, either do a "forced" trade (meaning we'll rob if we have to), or give them so much misinformation as to what we're really up to, or lead them off in a different direction. 

But no. I don't go looking for trouble, and to me that's being friendly in a game where everyone can kill each other. Just like in real life, nice guys get taken advantage of. I highly doubt any of these "friendly" players, put in a real life situation, would run up to anyone, especially those with visible weapons yelling "I'M FRIENDLY PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!" All of us have that instinct to be afraid of the unknown, and to approach unknown situations with caution. Once we get enough knowledge of something we're afraid of, we better handle them. And we learn, if we survive, from those mistakes. At the very least, those who didn't survive teach others. 

Now, why not learn a fucking lesson here, and stop thinking that every person you see is there to hold your hand or is there to get a helping hand. Those who don't even ask questions have probably learnt the lesson a different way, like you have. But you put yourself in dumb situations simply just BEGGING others to be nice. It's unrealistic. 

However, I really do think its dumb that 50% of us just HAVE to kill eachother on sight. Come on, get some interaction and quit being such a damn loaner. That's why we got the multiplayer aspect here. Try talking things out and working on those skills, because they could save you when my group happens upon you. 

My idea of friendly is simply not just outright killing someone I get the jump on. I recently switched to the Experimental servers, and have ran into a lot more people. Sometimes they exchange words like "HEY I'M FRIENDLY DON'T SHOOT", while I say "Yeah sure, turn around and you won't get dead!" I then make the plan for both of us "You go that way, I go the other way. No one needs to die here." When in a group, and the same situation happens, based on the response of the player we happen upon, either do a "forced" trade (meaning we'll rob if we have to), or give them so much misinformation as to what we're really up to, or lead them off in a different direction. 

But no. I don't go looking for trouble, and to me that's being friendly in a game where everyone can kill each other. Just like in real life, nice guys get taken advantage of. I highly doubt any of these "friendly" players, put in a real life situation, would run up to anyone, especially those with visible weapons yelling "I'M FRIENDLY PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!" All of us have that instinct to be afraid of the unknown, and to approach unknown situations with caution. Once we get enough knowledge of something we're afraid of, we better handle them. And we learn, if we survive, from those mistakes. At the very least, those who didn't survive teach others. 

Now, why not learn a fucking lesson here, and stop thinking that every person you see is there to hold your hand or is there to get a helping hand. Those who don't even ask questions have probably learnt the lesson a different way, like you have. But you put yourself in dumb situations simply just BEGGING others to be nice. It's unrealistic. 

However, I really do think its dumb that 50% of us just HAVE to kill eachother on sight. Come on, get some interaction and quit being such a damn loaner. That's why we got the multiplayer aspect here. Try talking things out and working on those skills, because they could save you when my group happens upon you. 

Oh yeah, simply being a nice guy could mean the difference between a team of medics spewing your brains on the pavement, or you walking home with a shiny new bag of medical supplies.

• Like 1

When I first brought this game I had hopes of becoming a Friendly, Bandit killing machine much like youtubers such as FrankieOnPC. Soon after I came to the realization that unless your a recognized/famous Youtuber, Nobody is friendly. This game is just a slow paced, agitating Team death match.

I've come across and tried to help so many people and have been backstabbed/Set up near enough every time. Now I see myself becoming one of the very people ruining this game by shooting others on site for out of fear they're going to be the first to pull the trigger if I don't.

Heres a little story about what happened to me and my friend yesterday. - 

We was on a full server, and went up to the NE Airfield. As I approached the Traffic Control tower, I saw a guy coming down the stairs, Only being armed with a Mosin I pulled back to the Green building (Jail). He saw us and tried flanking around the back of the jail, I shouted friendly but saw him come round the corner with his M4 pulled. I quickly shot him with the mosin.

He spoke down the Mic and said "I wasnt going to shoot you, Can you revive me" I didnt believe him one bit but being the good guy I removed the ammo from his weapon, Injected him with Saline and Defibbed him. Also give him Morphine to fix his broken leg he somehow broke. Risking my own life being in the middle of the airfield helping a total stranger. I told him to run away and that he did.

Me and my friend got what we needed, Ran to the first houses across from the airfield to be fired upon, a few seconds later was laughed at down the headset by him and his friends as they looted our body.

This is why Im turning into a Bandit, Not helping anybody, Killing them on sight instead. 

Anybody had similar experiences?

Ive played more than 100 hours, most of which with a mate and ive only died once, and that wasnt because of a bandit, that was because i tried to revive my buddy who fell down the stairs in devils castle and i accidentally de fibbed myself, and my guy wouldnt wake the F*** up! lol :P 

We/I have however encountered dozens people, some friendly, some not. The best thing to do is to take your time, and never forget to watch your back as much as your front! before you enter a town/city, sit and have a look, wait and see if anyone is about etc. most of the time you can either get into a position to hold the other player up, to either get them to leave, or to rob them. [50/50 chance whether they will comply or not, so you NEED to be able to take em out asap if they refuse. This is why 3rd person is a blessing, and a realism killer] 

As a Mod Vet i would say this is second nature to take your time, watch, plan, and only engage other players if you can get into the tactically better position than them. then again, maybe its an ARMA playing skill =P - you should play dayz like you play ARMA. 

1) keep your head on a swivel

2) people saying they are friendly, doesnt mean that they are, and vise versa. 

3) if your gonna stay with a stranger who seem friendly, never walk in front of them, and just dont put yourself in a position that makes it easy for them to murder yo ass when you arent expecting it.

4) take your time going into an area, wait and see if anyone is around before you go in.

5) generally, friendly people will be more talkative, or more willing to talk over mic. [in my experience]!

6) avoiding other players is the best way to survive, especially if you dont have team-mates. 

7) there are PvE servers, clan servers, and white list servers to play on or will be available to play on soon. I play on a server that doesnt allow kill on sight, but you can still be a bandit, [betrayal, ambushes, robbing, group vs group firefights etc]. 

8) you can get good loot from areas that arent so popular with players. North east, is typical for this, however since the map has changed to distribute loot types etc more evenly, this is less important. But its good to remember that any house or shed could have that can of beans you need to save from starving etc, unlike the mod.  

9) melee weapons are fine for killing zombies, guns arent worth dying for. 

10) Try not to advertise any high value gear. put rifles on your back, run around with pistol or melee weapon out etc. high value gear will either be a deterrent to lesser armed KOS bandits, or like catnip to the higher geared ones. Since you can swap guns now really quick, and higher geared bandits 99% of the time will shoot you from where you cant see them, it wont matter what gun/weapon you have out when they start shooting. You either get to cover in time, or you die before any of that matters.

my two cents =)