Kintaro (DayZ)

Identification System

It's been discussed a bit so I wanted to create a discussion about it.

In Dayz mod you can see people's name by pointing at them but you can't do that in Dayz SA, which I agree with. IRL you can't know someone's name just by looking at them.

In the other hand you can remember someone by seeing their size / face / scars /skin, hearing their voice, smelling them, etc. So we tought it could be cool to have an identification system where you can, by standing close to people, by looking at them,  get key features of a person to be able to remember them. Now maybe the more feature you get, the more of an ID you can get, or it can display the name of the person. Maybe this could be stored in a "memory" file attached to you character which you can browse and "remember" people you've seen with features attached to an ID, or a name. The more feature you could get, the more % you'd be able to recognize someone. And then maybe you could share these with others.

That could allow to recognize people when you meet them again and get close to them, or describe someone to other player.

And maybe you'd be able to conceal some of these features with clothes.

What you think ?

I'll update this post if it gets any interset and ideas

Ofc i can see that this isn't high priority right now.

Edited by Kintaro
  • Like 2

Recognition would be extremely useful, and in fact would add something very interesting to the game mechanics - you bump into someone, trade some beans and ammo and spend enough time looking at them to learn their face*. Shortly after you separate, you see them standing at a window and recognise their face - before hearing a gunshot and seeing the message "You are dead"**. When you respawn, you of course no longer remember that person's face.

I think it would only improve the game to have this sort of facial recognition and the ability to wear a mask to conceal it, though I'm not sure it works to have it as shareable. Still giving you my beans though, as the principle is good.

*How long in their company would you consider to be acceptable to remember someone?

**This happens to me a lot!

• Like 1

From a technical standpoint, this doesn't sound feasible. Rocket's team is having enough trouble just getting zombies in the game in sufficient numbers. I'd say wait another year and suggest this again, when the Dev team has moved beyond the basics.

Yes of course this isn't a priority right now as there's so much more important things to do but i tought I'd discuss the idea a bit

I think you should be able to press a button, which then shows your name above your head, just as if you are saying your name.

Dunno about you, but I can rarely deduce a name by simply looking at someone...

Granted Tarquins tend to look like Tarquins.

I think you should be able to press a button, which then shows your name above your head, just as if you are saying your name.

You have that already, use the / button in game and type...