Sign in to follow this  
MuckZombie

Cannot find a running instance of Steam

Hello. I bought Dayz yesterday hoping for a fun experience. However, what I am experiencing is not fun at all. Every time I go to launch Dayz, an error message pops up saying "Cannot find a running instance of Steam". This is very frustrating. There are only four posts online about this issue and they are absolutely useless. Everything they say to do I've tried and cannot fix this problem. I've tried restarting steam, restarting the game, went through a tutorial and flushed out Steam, changed my beta preferences, deleted the appache folder, verified the game files, tried re-installing direct x 9, and have done other things and now I am currently re-installing Dayz because I deleted it. Please if anyone can help please do. If it does not work again after re-installing it, I am going to complain and want a refund or something because I really want to play this game and I didn't pay $30 U.S. dollars for an error message. Thank you for your help.

If you have not done so already go to your Steam folder and delete the ClientRegistry. blob file.
You will have to log in to Steam after.

Might help, might not.

Sounds like an issue between steam and your pc, do your other steam games work or is dayz your first steam game? Try to re-install steam. Also, it'd help to know what os you are on. 

close steam all the way, and launch/login again. i had this error last night, there was a steam update i've been cancelling. After i downloaded it, it ran fine.  :thumbsup:

Sounds like an issue between steam and your pc, do your other steam games work or is dayz your first steam game? Try to re-install steam. Also, it'd help to know what os you are on. 

I have a lot of other Steam games and they do work and I'm running it on a Windows 7 64 bit with an i5 Intel Core Processor

I'm in the exact same boat. Can't find a fix for the problem anywhere. Let me know if you come across something! Just so you know, deleting and reinstalling both DAYZ and Steam hasn't worked for me.

Sound's as if your Steam client has been trapped in some sort of process - Have you tried looking for the process in Task manager and ending it from there.

Click on the processes tab in task manager to view this. your looking for Steam.exe or something along those lines.

Strange enough though this probably isn't much of a solution just curious... since if you restart your PC you would end the process and it wouldn't be there when you booted up again.