mpm470

Idea how to restrain people from killing on sight.

The game needs bandits and the threat of KOS.  Detecting, avoiding, engaging, combating, and interacting with other players makes up the vast majority of the depth and challenge for this game.  Without the threat from other players DayZ is a hiking & camping simulator with no real purpose.

Why the hell do people make new accounts just to get bitch slapped down again...

• Like 3

Why the hell do people make new accounts just to get bitch slapped down again...

a) They try to convince others, and they think that ppl might hear to them, if it seems that more than one person thinks like them.

B) Schizophrenic

c) They get some wierd form of stimulation from bitch slaps.

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 2

Did not read.

Just wanted to say this:

NO RESTRAINTS. NO RESTRICTIONS. You do NOT get to dictate how I play any more than anyone else gets to dictate how YOU play.

Dean Hall has already EXPLICITLY stated that he and the devs will NOT implement any kind of feature that attempts to control certain behavior in game, with the exception of cheating or using exploits.

If you had actually read this post you would realize that the title is misleading. He does not want to 'restrain' people from Killing on Site, he wants to incentivise people, which Dean Hall is all for. Currently, all of the incentives are for one play style, yours, so incentives for another style should be welcomed. Even people who will always KoS should welcome incentives not to, as it will make those choices more meaningful and fun. It would also mean you have more potential victims who are not trying to pull the same stunt on you...

Edited by slawterer

If you had actually read this post you would realize that the title is misleading. He does not want to 'restrain' people from Killing on Site, he wants to incentivise people, which Dean Hall is all for. Currently, all of the incentives are for one play style, yours, so incentives for another style should be welcomed. Even people who will always KoS should welcome incentives not to, as it will make those choices more meaningful and fun. It would also mean you have more potential victims who are not trying to pull the same stunt on you...

I have an idea, just add to game "mentall illness" status which will grow after you kill someone (if u attack first). It could cause for example loosing randomly your eq, vomiting, higher water droping (sweating), and finally death, you could add some kind of mark for peaple that are mentally ill for exemple red dot near head or something.

o.o I think "losing equipment" and death are somewhow punishements and for that case restraining...

I have an idea, just add to game "mentall illness" status which will grow after you kill someone (if u attack first). It could cause for example loosing randomly your eq, vomiting, higher water droping (sweating), and finally death, you could add some kind of mark for peaple that are mentally ill for exemple red dot near head or something.

Fail

sorry m8, KOS is as natural as taking a shit.

you cant eliminate or curb it...

survival games are just that...all behavior is acceptable, except hacking/glitching.

Simply by giving players other things to do besides fighting, it will reduce instances of KoS.

Some people will always shoot anything that moves, because that's how they want to play the game. But other people will occupy their time doing the survival and crafting stuff instead - this stuff doesn't exist yet, so it's pretty obvious that the majority of players currently spend their time doing the one thing that is possible: deathmatch.

• Like 1

"restrain", "restrict", "incentivize", "punish", "eliminate", and every other word I can think of has been used in lieu of this subject. All of the ideas proposed force a limitation of some sort on my chosen style of gameplay. ALL of them are motivated not by a desire for realism, but by, for lack of a better term, "butthurt".

I will agree, 1000%, that there are 12 year old little twat nuggets that run around camping spawn spots killing people the moment they spawn and screaming over direct "OWWWNNNED BITCH!" and generally acting like total douche bags. But any system that punishes them punishes everyone else as well.

So many of you requesting a "ptsd" or "psychological degradation" mechanic, and fail utterly to understand what that would ACTUALLY imply. If my character developed PTSD, he would become highly paranoid, jumping at shadows, highly alert, and even MORE prone to violence.

You can NOT implement a psychological effect in a game in a way that is accurate, realistic, relevant, and makes sense.

If it is any consolation, private hives will be coming eventually. When they do, join a hive that disallows KoS, and play in your merry little carebear world, free from the fear, adrenaline, and excitement brought to this game by the threat of people who do this.

• Like 2

Secret to avoid being Killed-On-Sight...don't be seen.  You're welcome.  Paypal donations welcome.  

:D

Edited by iBane
  • Like 1

Did not read.

Just wanted to say this:

NO RESTRAINTS. NO RESTRICTIONS. You do NOT get to dictate how I play any more than anyone else gets to dictate how YOU play.

Dean Hall has already EXPLICITLY stated that he and the devs will NOT implement any kind of feature that attempts to control certain behavior in game, with the exception of cheating or using exploits.

You didn't read a whole 2 sentences.  Congratulations!

Another post from the KOS KOS KOS KOS KOS crowd.

I'm starting to wonder if only psychotic kids play this game.  Someone should get all of them some lithium.

Lol as i said, its not punish You, if You want to kill others, then do that, but You have to know that Your decions will affect how Your character will act. if u eat rotten fruit you will be sick, so you want to tell me that "rotten fruit" system punishes You and cotrolls your play? You can eat that r not its up to you... noone force you to eat it or not.

Fine.

Make a sanity system.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you DONT kill x people per hour, your sanity goes the other way and your character starts to shine brightly for all to see as well as loses the ability to aim.

Unless you put some sort of disadvantage on BOTH ENDS of the spectrum, you are in fact, trying to punish people for how they play.

That said: i have said it a whole lot of time, so here we go again.

I do not care if my character instantly explodes the exact moment that a bullet from me even TOUCHES you; I WILL STILL DO IT NO MATTER WHAT!

• Like 2

I'm starting to wonder if only psychotic kids play this game.  Someone should get all of them some lithium.

Im 28 years old. A United States Marine. I play the game in a mature manner that makes sense to me.

In total, I have killed another player, that was not a perceived direct threat to me, and unprovoked, FIVE times in all 130+ hours of play.

I am sick of seeing this forum flooded with the SAME idea, that is terrible and bullshit, from people who put absolutely ZERO thought into the proposal or its implementation, all because they are BUTTHURT that they lost some DIGITAL ITEMS. Meanwhile, useful discussion is pushed away. I try to explain in a reasonable fashion why these things wont work, and shouldn't be done, but the response is always exactly the same, only worded in a different way.

Tell me, in a logical manner, what kind of system, why it should be implemented, how it could be implemented in a manner that is balanced, makes sense, and ACTUALLY VIABLE, as well as why other players' style of gameplay should be limited or controlled AT ALL, be it friendly carebear or mass murdering serial killer, and I GUARENTEE you I can fill your argument full of holes faster than you can imagine. Yes, THAT is a challenge. But I warn you, I will ignore with extreme prejudice anything that implies insult or rudeness.

Edit: It was FIVE players, not four, that i "KoSed". My bad.

Edited by Crazykage
  • Like 2

I think instead of the server saying "you are dead" instead it should ask " did you just experience a traumatic event? can you not cope? please visit www.no1gviesafuck.com and share your traumatic event and gain support of your peers to cope with your tragic loss. have a nice dayz.

You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar, duckling.

Come off less hostile and less preachy, and people might consider what you have to say.

Frankly, I think social dynamics will improve when we have more content. Not synthetic father figure karma systems looming over us, shaking it's finger and calling us bad.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 5

So anyone that disagrees with you is a child and a KoSer?

• Like 2

Frankly, I think social dynamics will improve when we have more content. Not synthetic father figure karma systems looming over us, shaking it's finger and calling us bad.

this ^^ should be copied and pasted on every thread about this subject multiple times until they are locked.

• Like 1

Man but think about it, its not ditate you how to play, illnes is result of your choices. And i think that mentall illness after killing someone is pretty natural thing...

I disagree. In this case, your choices would be made as a result of knowing about illness, not the other way round.

Im 28 years old. A United States Marine. I play the game in a mature manner that makes sense to me.

In total, I have killed another player, that was not a perceived direct threat to me, and unprovoked, FOUR times in all 130+ hours of play.

I am sick of seeing this forum flooded with the SAME idea, that is terrible and bullshit, from people who put absolutely ZERO thought into the proposal or its implementation, all because they are BUTTHURT that they lost some DIGITAL ITEMS. Meanwhile, useful discussion is pushed away. I try to explain in a reasonable fashion why these things wont work, and shouldn't be done, but the response is always exactly the same, only worded in a different way.

Tell me, in a logical manner, what kind of system, why it should be implemented, how it could be implemented in a manner that is balanced, makes sense, and ACTUALLY VIABLE, as well as why other players' style of gameplay should be limited or controlled AT ALL, be it friendly carebear or mass murdering serial killer, and I GUARENTEE you I can fill your argument full of holes faster than you can imagine. Yes, THAT is a challenge. But I warn you, I will ignore with extreme prejudice anything that implies insult or rudeness.

It appears I have exhausted my quota of beans for the day so let me simply say Semper Fi, fellow Marine, for a well thought out reply that makes more sense than 98% of the posts regarding this non-issue.

• Like 1

It appears I have exhausted my quota of beans for the day so let me simply say Semper Fi, fellow Marine, for a well thought out reply that makes more sense than 98% of the posts regarding this non-issue.

Oohrah brother......oohrah.

This is suggested every other week and guess what?

The answer is still NO.

Edited by hatesauce

If the guy has no gear and looks like a bambi,I tend not to KoS. If he has any kind of rifle (M4,Mossin/Sks/) I aim for Center mass or non vital areas (depending how far he is from me) with a single shot. if I hit the target and he survives...well I let him be. It's far worse to be injured (bleeding, broken leg, broken arm) and have your Assault vest/backpack/jacket and everything you stored in them ruined than to start all over again. 

I dunno...KoS'ing is becoming less fun everyday... Ruining their gear give them an incentive ti be more careful and keep looking for replacements. Most of my ammo is wasted on warning shots that land close to the target (if he's a bambi or with minimal gear) than in it

Edited by razyel_kain

Rule 1. You can not be killed on sight if you are not in sight. Quit sticking your head out and being silly

Rule 2. Don't get attached to gear. I learned this one a long time ago. It will come and go but what you take with you every death is a new lesson learned. Either something you did was stupid or you learn where people "hide" out.

Rule 3. FFS people would be like that in a post-apocalyptic world.  I believe this game shows it very well. See Rule 1

Whilst developing some sort of PTSD after you have killed several people is a good idea, it's hard to implement well. Your suggestions here are too harsh and if they were too soft, it would make no difference. The red dot is way out. In the mod, we had a different skin for people who had killed enough others, and it didn't help at all. It just makes you complacent around those without it...

I was just thinking about the bandit player "skin" problem. The reason the marking players doesn't work is because at it's heart DayZ is a PVP game. The mark of the bandit just turns into a badge of honor. In the end it all it does is promote more and more killing of fresh spawns to decrease your humanity. People should just accept that they will be killed by another player at some point, even on sight, and enjoy the game. I know the PVP is what has kept me playing. Those "oh sh**!" moments that get the blood pumping are what makes all the boring running around looting worthwhile.