mpm470

Idea how to restrain people from killing on sight.

I have an idea, just add to game "mentall illness" status which will grow after you kill someone (if u attack first). It could cause for example loosing randomly your eq, vomiting, higher water droping (sweating), and finally death, you could add some kind of mark for peaple that are mentally ill for exemple red dot near head or something.

Edited by mpm470

Whilst developing some sort of PTSD after you have killed several people is a good idea, it's hard to implement well. Your suggestions here are too harsh and if they were too soft, it would make no difference. The red dot is way out. In the mod, we had a different skin for people who had killed enough others, and it didn't help at all. It just makes you complacent around those without it...

• Like 1

No. A "Sanity" system will not be implemented as it can be exploited. If the loss of potential gear is not enough for these people then you ain't going to stop them KOSing. Bear in mind that this has been the topic of hundreds of threads and you are not suggesting anything new.

Please use the search function and enjoy your stay.

• Like 1

Did not read.

Just wanted to say this:

NO RESTRAINTS. NO RESTRICTIONS. You do NOT get to dictate how I play any more than anyone else gets to dictate how YOU play.

Dean Hall has already EXPLICITLY stated that he and the devs will NOT implement any kind of feature that attempts to control certain behavior in game, with the exception of cheating or using exploits.

• Like 8

Yeah i know, but its just an idea, but still, developers could follow that and think about some status that will be ballanced but still hurting for those who KOS

Why would the devs HURT any player ? Makes no sense.

DEVS have only to create mechanics, add content, provide depth; that ensures the Survivors can create their vision of the apocalyptic life DayZ offers. With all things good and bad. 

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Dean Hall has already EXPLICITLY stated that he and the devs will NOT implement any kind of feature that attempts to control certain behavior in game, with the exception of cheating or using exploits.

Man but think about it, its not ditate you how to play, illnes is result of your choices. And i think that mentall illness after killing someone is pretty natural thing...

Why would the devs HURT any player ?

Oh, if they would read the General Discussion, they would want to bitchslap a lot of people here...

(I know, you meant character. It was just...that sentence gave me the picture of Dean slapping random people XD )

Can we now let this thread die in peace? By tomorrow it will be sunk in the unknown dephts of the general discussion (also known as page 3) anyway, but the faster, the better :)

• Like 2

Oh, if they would read the General Discussion, they would want to bitchslap a lot of people here...

(I know, you meant character. It was just...that sentence gave me the picture of Dean slapping random people XD )

Lorrie-side_400x300.jpg

Did not read.

Just wanted to say this:

NO RESTRAINTS. NO RESTRICTIONS. You do NOT get to dictate how I play any more than anyone else gets to dictate how YOU play.

Well Dean and company has not stopped cheating in the standalone so why are you so sure he will keep his word about anything else?   If dean realizes that the 12 year olds who kos are ruining this game and his chance to make more money, you dont think he will change his mind?   God you are naive.

YAY, another KOS post. Who needs productive threads, these are way more fun.

• Like 1

Man but think about it, its not ditate you how to play, illnes is result of your choices. And i think that mentall illness after killing someone is pretty natural thing...

YES, it is.

You are asking for the implementation of a mechanic that PUNISHES me for my gameplay choices in a manner that attempts to CONTROLL how I play the game.

Outside of the risk of death or injury when engaging in combat, there should be no punishment. Its a game. Not reality. Its meant to be realistic, not real.

I also doubt you ask for this purely for the sake of realism, but rather because you are tired of being kosed. In the game's future, more mechanics, like base building, and vehicles, and a reworked medical system, will offer more tools, variety, and opportunity for character interaction, thereby encouraging character interaction, and reducing, to some degree, the amount of PVP. But PVP will always be there.

Further, a sanity mechanic can not be implemented realistically. EVERY single person reacts to, and deals with trauma in vastly different ways and severity. I experienced very mild PTSD when I came back from Iraq (often heard IEDs exploding in the distance while at camp Fallujah, or hear gunshots. Never got attacked, was never in any actual danger myself). Upon return, loud noises drew my attention VERY fast. Suddenly I would become highly alert and ready, but would quickly realize that nothing was wrong, and return to normal.

Some people see the horrors and rigors of brutal, bloody combat first hand, and later fail to bat an eyelash over it. Others experience LESS than I did, and have uncontrollable nightmares and depression, coupled with violent outbursts and reactions to the simplest things. You cannot implement a sanity system complicated enough to be done right.

The game is in alpha. More tools for character interaction and cooperation will be coming. Until then, many of us are bored, and seek the thrill of pvp for a while.

Well Dean and company has not stopped cheating in the standalone so why are you so sure he will keep his word about anything else?   If dean realizes that the 12 year olds who kos are ruining this game and his chance to make more money, you dont think he will change his mind?   God you are naive.

KoSer aren't ruining the game, your inability to be stealthy is ruining the game... for you and you ONLY.  Sure other people are having the same issue that you are but I don't try and sue a ford if a drunk driver crashes into me, I don't sue Remington if some guy shoot's me.  It's all a matter of perspective and blaming a game for your short coming's and failures is.. well you get the idea.

Be responsible for your actions and exercise due caution.

@Hethwill: *takes a bow* :)

As far as I hope: No he won't. He did not change the vanilla mod in that direction, so why should he change the standalone? He made enough money to not get any trouble while he follows his vision, that, it seems, a lot of people share. And as he stated, his vision for DayZ is a game with no restrictions.

Killing on sight is not ruining the game. It is part of it. You CAN try to kill everyone you see. You CAN try to help everyone. You can switch between these two. You can flip a coin everytime you see somebody. Doesn't matter - it is YOUR choice, and YOURS alone. And THATS what DayZ is about.

Edit: Sry for the caps session. Was annoyed.

...and stopped cheating...yeah...like Billzard. Oh, wait, no...like EA...oh, lol.....like...every.other.company.ever. The only way you can stop cheating is if you play singleplayer and dont use cheats yourself.

Edited by LaughingJack

The main issue about KoS, that you should meditate about, is:

- What am I going to do about it with the mechanics we have in game, right now ?

Basing your present and future gameplay on the premises that "something" should be done is a no go.

Plus a KoS is simply another survivor making sure he doesn't want any interference from unknown characters in his control zone.

This can be 10m distance or an entire town section. Take your pick.

ESPECIALLY on hotspots like airfields, big towns, military compounds - it is a "poker" game. You either are in for a hand or you sit out and get away. 225 square km should keep you safe, well fed and healthy forever.

This being said I wish as many threads were made for the survivors that were well treated and aided to counter weight the KoS threads.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

no. Im practical and realistic.

Hackers exist, yes. And you are naïve to expect them to ever go away entirely. Ban waves come and go, script kiddies loose $30, buy another copy, rinse and repeat. Over 120 hours of game time, and I have yet to see a single hacker myself. In the mod, I saw them DAILY. in the end, the private hive I played on got attacked almost hourly, forcing character rollbacks every time. Got so bad I quit the mod.

Nobody is ruining this game purely with KOS. If you cant take it, and deal with the loss of your digital items, go play hello kitty. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy.

• Like 1

YES, it is.

You are asking for the implementation of a mechanic that PUNISHES me for my gameplay choices in a manner that attempts to CONTROLL how I play the game.

Lol as i said, its not punish You, if You want to kill others, then do that, but You have to know that Your decions will affect how Your character will act. if u eat rotten fruit you will be sick, so you want to tell me that "rotten fruit" system punishes You and cotrolls your play? You can eat that r not its up to you... noone force you to eat it or not.

Edited by mpm470

Please use the search before posting, there's like +10 posts a week about this subject, besides, there's a forum for suggestions.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ps. KOS does not need to be fixed 'cause it isn't broke.

Edited by BrainlessZombie
  • Like 1

Lol as i said, its not punish You, if You want to kill others, then do that, 

And your system would punish your character for doing this. Giving him PTSD for choosing to play the game a certain way is punishing him.

So  if he will choose to kos, wouldnt that system punish those who dont KOS? cause right now system in game force me to KOS?

Edited by mpm470

Lol as i said, its not punish You, if You want to kill others, then do that, but You have to know that Your decions will affect how Your character will act. if u eat rotten fruit you will be sick, so you want to tell me that "rotten fruit" system punishes You and cotrolls your play? You can eat that r not its up to you... noone force you to eat it or not.

Lol as I said, its not punishing you, if you want to kill others, then do that, but you have to know that your decisions will affect how your character will act. if you eat rotten fruit you will be sick, so you want to tell me that "rotten fruit" system punishes You and controls your play? You can eat that or not its up to you... no-one force's you to eat it or not.

So if I run around on the Airfield, without pant's blasting Brittney over direct, no-one should kill me? if i do please kill me.

Have you thought about the possibility this open's up for trolling, players (some are already annoying as fuck) will be running about making noise and generally being spastic, and now I have to tolerate that, because I don't want ptsd.  If I see a guy drawing a bead on me I can't kill him cos I'll get ptsd.

How about this question.  the Infected they are still human, why would killing them not give me ptsd, if you want it "realistic" then you'll have to apply the system evenly among all the humans in the game, so now I can only kill 10 infected before I start suffering the side effects. hell some people would already have ptsd from the trauma of losing all their loved one's and friends, the long nights hiding while the infected shambled about outside praying they don't detect you and start trying to storm the house. You have seen what happens to those who are unfortunate enough to be caught by them.

Any system you suggest will be defeat-able, exploitable, or people will just not give a shit and keep doing it any way, committing suicide when the effects become too severe, Personally I'll go to one of the islands on the South east corner, murdering every new spawn I see along the way, walk onto the island, drink bleach, re-spawn get my stuff back, murder every new spawn I see on my way out. This is my pledge to you,

I promise this is exactly what I will do and guess what it doesn't matter because when my ptsd get's too bad I'll just do it again. 

• Like 3

I haven't KoS'd a single guy by now (I think i have 80hours + in the SA) and I don't feel punished.

And I don't fell to be forced to KoS...and yes, I have died some times due to KoS. And no, my characters tend to live longer than a few minutes. And also no, I don't have any disadvantage - my latest char is well equipped, alive for some ingame hours and had 3 interactions lately - one with someone who tried to rob me, but failed miserably and ran off and 2 friendly ones...

From the "gaming" point of view: You are forced to do 2 things in this game at the moment to keep your character alive: Eat & drink. Nothing more.

From the "reality" point of view, it's simple: If you can kill somebody without any reason you ARE mentally ill anyway. So no use for a system like this.

Edit: Additionally, what windowlicker said. He's niot so lazy as I am it seems.^^

Edited by LaughingJack