Bloodrocution

permanent health damage

i thought a little bit about the survival, realism aspect of dayz.

what would happen if your character could get injuries that will not heal completely?

for example, if you get bitten by a zombie in the arm. little chance of virus-infection and you have to amputate the arm. it will not grow back and for the rest of this characters life you are disabled. doing stuff with two hands is no longer possible.

you can build a artificial limb to do two handed things but they will take longer and have more chance of failing.

or somebody shoots you in the leg and it is almost destroyed. you can build a artificial limb. but you will never be that fast as before.

or maybe you lost an eye, so the screen will get 1/3 dark.

i think it could bring some cool, epic and intensive gameplay and an emotional binding to your character, more survival feeling

maybe the play-style and feeling will change if your characters abilities will change

if you meet some friendly players you can share some story

maybe the players will play more defensive, maybe in combination with this post: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173039-defensive-play/?hl=defensive

and in the end, if everything is lost, you have the possibility to kill yourself. and it will be a hard decision, because you survived all that shit before

Edited by Bloodrocution
  • Like 2

for example, if you get bitten by a zombie in the arm. little chance of virus-infection and you have to amputate the arm. it will not grow back and for the rest of this characters life you are disabled. doing stuff with two hands is no longer possible.

you can build a artificial limb to do two handed things but they will take longer and have more chance of failing.

I'm pretty sure building an artificial limb is ironically a two handed job dude

• Like 3

I do not agree with that strange idea about artificial limb. Whereas amputation ability and permanent injury until death and respawn could be so...... deliciously devilish

• Like 2

Dont be Lame. (zing)

But seriously, death comes all to easy in dayz without having to worry about poorly healed compound fractures or slowly turning into robobandit.

I do think it should take a bit of time to heal wounds. Maybe you deserve 15 minutes of crawling for getting your leg broken.

While I do like the idea of permanent damage, it wouldn't work. When you lose an arm or an eye, starting a new character would be too tempting because it's so easy. There's nothing that makes you value your character - at least in this point of alpha.

• Like 1

""There's nothing that makes you value your character - at least in this point of alpha.""

Skills would help in that regard. Something valuable enough to hang around for, yet not so op that it turns you into a demi-god.

Edited by mgc

I want to lose one eye just so that I can get a badass eyepatch. In terms of practicality, you should lose the ability to zoom in/look down sights or something when you have an eye missing.

While I do like the idea of permanent damage, it wouldn't work. When you lose an arm or an eye, starting a new character would be too tempting because it's so easy. There's nothing that makes you value your character - at least in this point of alpha.

your equipment is the value. you dont want to lose it. and thats the point where it gets interesting,

because you have to decide if you want to play without your leg or without your equip.

and in the end, every character will die. that is the endgame of dayz. i dont think there is any player who has survived with his first character.

so the game untill the end should be as awesome as it could be.

so when the situation comes and you see the dead-screen,

i  want to think: "that character was awesome, i survived that f**king massacre in elektro. got shot in the arm. had to find a limb and killed tons of bandits with only one arm. but then i got infected and decided to kill myself instead of been a zombie."

now its like: "i survived the massacre in elektro with black and white screen. patched myself up and killed lots of bandits"

Edited by Bloodrocution

I want to lose one eye just so that I can get a badass eyepatch. In terms of practicality, you should lose the ability to zoom in/look down sights or something when you have an eye missing.

yes and the badass artifical limb in the walking dead. merle.jpg

I don´t want to curb your enthusiasm but I´m pretty sure that this won´t be possible just cause of the complexity of programming.

Rocket stated that even the application of a functioning hood on jackets etc would be too much work hence the modelling / uv mapping and syncin´ with servers.

I don´t want to curb your enthusiasm but I´m pretty sure that this won´t be possible just cause of the complexity of programming.

as a developer myself (i dont want to sound arrogant) i say: "nothing is impossible if you have enough ressources and time." the question is: "is it worth, spending the time for this feature?"

and i think we should discuss this in the suggestions forum. the pros and cons.

Amputation? Geez no! :P I can already see groups of grunts walking around taking off Bambi's legs instead of just robbing their blood! :D

Amputation? Geez no! :P I can already see groups of grunts walking around taking off Bambi's legs instead of just robbing their blood! :D

i think that doing without nice features because of evil, sick bastards is not the right way we should go.

• Like 2

Damn, i don't mind at all.

Small health quirks can add a bit to the characterization ... IF one survives long enough. Same with hair and beard and mustache.

Can finally go tuberculosis and keep playing Doc HollidayZ

I like it. Id love to see amputees or guys with one eye and limos.

Im not so big on amputation by door though...

I wouldnt mind permanent health damage done a little simpler. Like you actually lose a bit of you max health from each wound and broken bone. The more injuries you have got over the course of your life the less total health you have. We need skills or some form of progression for you to care. If your character had been alive for long time and had a bunch of high level skills you would be less inclined to suicide and would take less risks.

You know, they plan to implement small scale parkour in a game where you break your legs if you Fall 3 feet. What is wrong wiTh this picture

I wouldnt mind permanent health damage done a little simpler. Like you actually lose a bit of you max health from each wound and broken bone. The more injuries you have got over the course of your life the less total health you have. 

i think its not the same as i suggested.

because the gameplay will not change when you survived longer. if you are a little bit disabled and cant run so fast your gameplay will change. that is a disadvantage

but you are a survivor, so you have better equipment than a fresh-spawn. or a vehicle, so you dont have to walk that much.