sjakie1945

Counter the brightness at night time

Ok, so my idea was, that you should only be able to set the brightness and gamma once, after u installed the game. If u set it too high... you can see at night, but daytime will be horrible. If u set it normal, it would be nice at day, but not easy to see at night, thus u need a flashlight...

This way people cannot get an easy advantage over other people or they have to reinstall the game entirely. I don`t think a lot of people would do that. And it will take a long time before they would get in the server where they want to play with that advantage.

So, what do u guys think? It will be more challenging to play at nighttime and I think we all benefit from this.

Edited by sjakie1945
  • Like 1

What happens if you change your GFX Card or get a new Monitor?

The easiest way to counter this is as follows:

• When a player connects notify all other players that they have a changed Gamma Setting. (i.e. Player Bob connected with a Gamma of 1.75).
  • Allow admins to set a max gamma setting for their server (almost like max ping) and inform the player they need to change their gamma back down to the level before they can start playing.

Not sure if this would be viable ... but anyway.

Edited by novogeek
  • Like 7

I think this is a bad idea, even as a new player I can see the issue with this, that is that if someone needs to change it due to a glitch, bug or simply due to personal preference they would be unable, unless they reinstall which would be infuriating. Also to the best of my knowledge everyone can change the gamma and brightness so it is and advantage all can use, and from what I have noticed most avoid night servers like the plague,

• Like 1

There is no advantage if everybody can do it. If it wasn't for the video options, playing at night would be impossible even with a flashlight. I did some night hiking in my life and, even when you can't see as clear as when you tweak your video settings, it isn't like when you don't do it either. They either make the moon light more real or we are going to have to keep modifying the video settings.

• Like 1

Won't work. There are plenty of ways to change gamma and brightness outside the game. 

The only solution is to eliminate night altogether, as it's pointless right now. 

I asked rocket about this in a stream and he said they cannot do anything about it cause everyones gamma and everthing needs to be changed at some point. I don't know if they really can do anything about it.

The problem is not the problem, but your attitude towards the problem. Now, seriously, there's nothing to do about it because it is not an issue.

novogeek, on 17 Feb 2014 - 2:37 PM, said:

What happens if you change your GFX Card or get a new Monitor?

The easiest way to counter this is as follows:

• When a player connects notify all other players that they have a changed Gamma Setting. (i.e. Player Bob connected with a Gamma of 1.75).
  • Allow admins to set a max gamma setting for their server (almost like max ping) and inform the player they need to change their gamma back down to the level before they can start playing.

Not sure if this would be viable ... but anyway.

Its not like u change your GFX card or monitor every single day, so, the reinstall isn`t that big of a deal, in my opinion. But I think you suggestion to this problem is good... give the admin right to set a max.. and they can just add a little gamma and brightness to it, but now full like it is now.

Care to explain why is it that consider the gamma and brightness setting an issue at night? You don't want to pump them up to play at night so you feel like you are at a disadvantage there? I don't understand why does this concern you.

Its not like u change your GFX card or monitor every single day, so, the reinstall isn`t that big of a deal, in my opinion. But I think you suggestion to this problem is good... give the admin right to set a max.. and they can just add a little gamma and brightness to it, but now full like it is now.

I think, you should be able to change it in the menu only with a battlefield style "set it so you can just barely see the 4"

But eyes should be able to adjust at night time so you can see better just from star and moonlight.

However, shadows need to be there always and it needs to be impossible to see into them.

If you've ever been around on a moonlit night, you will notice fields and stuff will still be bright and visible, but a shadow will just be pure darkness.

I think cloudy nights should be very dark though, to bring in an actual use for flares and such.

E.g cloudy night with all light sources blocked by clouds = very very dark only silhouettes against clouds or a patch of starry sky.

• Like 2

How can you people say this isn't even a problem? The point of a night server is to play at night, not to play with the eyesight of a horse. I like the flare idea and maybe we could use a rag, stick and matches to make a torch? Also it would be cool to have night vision goggles that blind you if you look at a light source such as a torch temporarily to keep things balanced.

• Like 1

It makes sense to be at pitch black if you are inside a building with no windows, but when you're out in the open and the moon is high, once your eyes adjust you can quite well at night. Now, if you turn a flashlight on, then you will only be able to see what the cone of light is pointing at and the rest looks like a dark tunnel. Again, this is what I have experienced at night while hiking. It's always the same "hardcore" experience versus what feels realistic with this game. People don't seem to make up their minds exactly what they want from this game.

• Like 2

I think this is a bad idea, even as a new player I can see the issue with this, that is that if someone needs to change it due to a glitch, bug or simply due to personal preference they would be unable, unless they reinstall which would be infuriating. Also to the best of my knowledge everyone can change the gamma and brightness so it is and advantage all can use, and from what I have noticed most avoid night servers like the plague,

I know your new, but the fact that everyone can change the gamma doesn't make it ok.

The reason it's not ok is because when a person wants to experience nighttime the way it was intended, they are now at a disadvantage because they know someone else out there will 90% of the time have there gamma up. Brightness IMO isn't a big deal. If you have your gamma set right, all turning up the brightness at night does is basically what your eyes do IRL when they adjust to the darkness. But gamma upping at night is ridiculous, play in the daytime if you don't like the night.

Well it's not because people don't like the dark so they turn it up to see, it's that they know no one is on those servers so they use them to farm loot.

So until private hives come were gamma can be locked or auto adjusted when joining that server or something along those lines,not sure whats available to a server host.

Night time is ruined for the ones that like it the way it was intended....dark.

This idea may not be the best, but it's actually not bad.

Re-installing a game on Steam is not that big a deal.

How often are you going to be doing that?

Doesn't take that long to download 5 gigs.

The only way it would be infuriating IMO is if you were re-installing it to adjust your gamma every time you played at night.

So this idea is actually a really goods one.

I would let brightness stay in game because I feel that doesn't give you any more of an advantage than you would get IRL with your eyes adjusting to the dark.

Go ahead and try it in a NT server. Leave your gamma low like the way you play in the DT and just turn the brightness up until it's looks like it should.

I cant wait until something like this happens because NT in DayZ is a whole different game in terms of how you need to shift your style of game play to survive and see.

Way more intense IMO, and when more features get added like cooking, camping, and hunting this game will have alot more reasons to play at night other than to find loot with your gamma cranked.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 3

I know your new, but the fact that everyone can change the gamma doesn't make it ok.

The reason it's not ok is because when a person wants to experience nighttime the way it was intended, they are now at a disadvantage because they know someone else out there will 90% of the time have there gamma up. If you have your gamma set right, all turning up the brightness at night does is basically what your eyes do IRL when they adjust to the darkness. But gamma upping at night is ridiculous, play in the daytime if you don't like the night.

Well it's not because people don't like the dark so they turn it up to see, it's that they know no one is on those servers so they use them to farm loot.

So until private hives come were gamma can be locked or auto adjusted when joining that server or something along those lines,not sure whats available to a server host.

Night time is ruined for the ones that like it the way it was intended....dark.

This idea may not be the best, but it's actually not bad.

Re-installing a game on Steam is not that big a deal.

How often are you going to be doing that?

Doesn't take that long to download 5 gigs.

The only way it would be infuriating IMO is if you were re-installing it to adjust your gamma every time you played at night.

So this idea is actually a really goods one.

I cant wait until something like this happens because NT in DayZ is a whole different game in terms of how you need to shift your style of game play to survive and see.

Way more intense IMO, and when more features get added like cooking, camping, and hunting this game will have alot more reasons to play at night other than to find loot with your gamma cranked.

This is what I was trying to say..

Why would you not play the game how it is intended to be played? They added flashlights for a reason. I think with this, a lot of gamma-abuse can be stopped. There will always be a handful of people that will reinstall the game and would prefer the shitty daytime graphics with gamma on full but, most of the people will play the game how it`s supposed to be played.

The gameplay will be different, and NVG`s have a purpose, cause i could see the same stuff a guy with NVG`s would be able to see.

Maybe let the admin on the server decide what the darkness should be...

I do agree with the other guys said about the darkness and moonlight. I think we should be able to see a little bit more, but not to the point that we dont need flashlights anymore....

This is a problem that, regretfully, there is nothing anyone can do about. 

No matter what the devs do, they can't control how the gamma is set. They can remove the setting from the game altogether and make everyone use the same setting and people can still change it outside the game. 

I refuse to up mine at night and stick with my flashlight, even if that puts me at a disadvantage. It's just the way I like to play. Some people are sooks and have to have night vision or whatever advantage they can take outside the game itself.

• Like 1

This is a problem that, regretfully, there is nothing anyone can do about. 

No matter what the devs do, they can't control how the gamma is set. They can remove the setting from the game altogether and make everyone use the same setting and people can still change it outside the game. 

I refuse to up mine at night and stick with my flashlight, even if that puts me at a disadvantage. It's just the way I like to play. Some people are sooks and have to have night vision or whatever advantage they can take outside the game itself.

They should give the players a chance... after they installed it...(or after a certain patch), they should be able to set it up... after that.. they have to reinstall the game(doesnt take very long?) and set the gamma how they want it... its not that hard. They should have the main screen to have an example of how it looks like.

They should give the players a chance... after they installed it...(or after a certain patch), they should be able to set it up... after that.. they have to reinstall the game(doesnt take very long?) and set the gamma how they want it... its not that hard. They should have the main screen to have an example of how it looks like.

You're missing the point. 

Even if they were to lock gamma in the game, there are still many other sources of gamma outside the game to adjust to get the same results. It would be pointless for them to lock the gamma in the game, because I can still adjust it on my monitor, TV or whatever else I play it on. 

I can also download 3rd party programs to give my direct control of my gamma at all times. So having the gamma locked is redundant and a bit pointless. After that initial adjustment and locking, I can still adjust it via other means anyway.

It simply won't work. It's a problem that the developers cannot solve. If people want to up the gamma because they're too lazy to use the flashlight or NVG's that's what they'll do. Anyone who plays without their gamma turned up will have to accept the disadvantage and play far more cautiously at night (which is what I do).

I think the best solution is to actually greatly increase the amount of light that the stars/moon provide. That way, when people mess with their gamma inside buildings it would look fine, but as soon as they step outside it would look as shit as high gamma during the day.

Edited by Nicko2580

It makes sense to be at pitch black if you are inside a building with no windows, but when you're out in the open and the moon is high, once your eyes adjust you can quite well at night. Now, if you turn a flashlight on, then you will only be able to see what the cone of light is pointing at and the rest looks like a dark tunnel. Again, this is what I have experienced at night while hiking. It's always the same "hardcore" experience versus what feels realistic with this game. People don't seem to make up their minds exactly what they want from this game.

We want, dark nighttime.

Not every night has a a clear sky.

Or even a moon.

Stop acting like people can see perfectly at night time 100% of the time and stop ruining the games hardcore experience for everyone.

• Like 1

We want, dark nighttime.

Not every night has a a clear sky.

Or even a moon.

Stop acting like people can see perfectly at night time 100% of the time and stop ruining the games hardcore experience for everyone.

I agree but I think a compromise needs to be reached because plenty of people are just going to up the gamma regardless. 

If, on a fairly clear night, it's quite bright outside and you only really need to use your light inside or under the forest canopy, it might encourage a few people not to mess with their gamma settings. 

I'm with you though, I love it being pitch black and being forced to walk in the dark and only use my flashlight when I have to (in case someone spots me). I looted Elektro using this method. Only switching my light on inside buildings and trying to keep it away from windows so I wouldn't be seen.

• Like 1

Won't work. There are plenty of ways to change gamma and brightness outside the game. 

The only solution is to eliminate night altogether, as it's pointless right now. 

This. Gamma can be set on the monitor, in a multitude of video card applications, as well as in-game. The only thing they can do is actually not render what cannot be seen (guessing this would have to be post-processing, which wouldn't help much as it can be turned off as well) or fix night to be fair for everyone (basically, let everyone see).

I understand what they are trying to do with night, but it really just isn't going to work. First, I play at the same times about every day, so if I'm on a server that is light during that time (which I am), I will never experience night. If I were on a server that was night, I'd never experience day (i.e. I wouldn't be able to play).

Honestly, unless they are going to add night vision, there really is no purpose for having a night cycle the way they intend it to be (dark as hell). Any reasonable person would be holed up and sleeping during that time. The only people running about at night would be those who could function (night vision).

So, in short, without night vision, I agree. Make it day always, maybe an extremely short period of dark between dusk and dawn to keep the overall day cycle in place. Or add night vision items.

So, in short, without night vision, I agree. Make it day always, maybe an extremely short period of dark between dusk and dawn to keep the overall day cycle in place. Or add night vision items.

There are already NVG's. Not sure if they're in the current SA build or if they've been disabled, but they do exist and will be implemented (if they're not already in).

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Night_Vision_Goggles

Edited by Nicko2580

There are already NVG's. Not sure if they're in the current SA build or if they've been disabled, but they do exist and will be implemented (if they're not already in).

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Night_Vision_Goggles

Good news, now they just need to put them in and make them something less than rare (maybe uncommon, but not rare). Gamma problem solved, everyone on equal footing.

Good news, now they just need to put them in and make them something less than rare (maybe uncommon, but not rare). Gamma problem solved, everyone on equal footing.

It still won't matter. Why would you bother looking when with 1 button press and 2 mouse clicks you have instant NVG's courtesy of gamma anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like people not to use the gamma trick and stick to the spirit of the game but they won't while an easier option exists and in this case it's pretty much impossible to make it otherwise.

Edited by Nicko2580

It still won't matter. Why would you bother looking when with 1 button press and 2 mouse clicks you have instant NVG's courtesy of gamma anyway?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like people not to use the gamma trick and stick to the spirit of the game but they won't.

It doesn't matter if the people using gamma continue to use it as long as others can be on equal footing with them without having to do the same thing. That's why I said they shouldn't be hard to get. Not to mention, they can just make the night vision work a bit better than the gamma.

As for sticking to the spirit of the game, I agree, but that would really mean not playing at night. Nobody in their right mind would go out in a zombie apocalypse at night with no way to see.

It doesn't matter if the people using gamma continue to use it as long as others can be on equal footing with them without having to do the same thing. That's why I said they shouldn't be hard to get. Not to mention, they can just make the night vision work a bit better than the gamma.

As for sticking to the spirit of the game, I agree, but that would really mean not playing at night. Nobody in their right mind would go out in a zombie apocalypse at night with no way to see.

In reality, you'd probably be forced to go out at night all the time. It's certainly the safest time to go out and scavenge if you know there are other humans around who might be bandits and it's safer from zeds if you're not using a flashlight since they will only hear or smell you as opposed to being able to see you as well. 

And on a clear night it can be quite bright outside. I'd definitely prefer traveling through the country at night in a real life situation. Very decreased chance of a bandit picking me off from a distance. 

But I get what you mean about making NVG's more available and I actually think that's a good idea to level the playing field between people who don't want to use the gamma trick and people who do. Just shits me a bit that I know I'm at a massive disadvantage if I use the cool headlamp I found. Might as well just toss it as it's essentially a worthless item taking up an inventory slot. :(