Lady Kyrah

Survival is not just about looting canned food and ak47s

I'm sorry but when i browse the suggestion forum, and this one in general. It appears that the people who play this game approach it like a 12 year old's power fantasy.

Looting what you can use is a first step in survival, that's a stopgap measure to give you time to prepare for what's coming to you in the next days (and maybe for the rest of your adult life). As a survivor, if you have a gun, you cherish every single bullet you have because it's very unlikely you will find any spare once you shoot these, and an easily killed boar might give you lunch today, but that bullet might be the one you will miss tomorrow to defend yourself. Sure, you can always reload bullets, but how are you going to do this? Reloading powder and tools aren't exactly commonplace and modern guns don't really like homemade black powder.

Food wise, once you secured a few cans of food your number one priority should be to avoid using them and find alternative sources, foraging, (provided you know what you're doing and won't poison yourself) and hunting, which brings the issue of avoiding to use your gun for this because your gun should be for your personal protection.

And then there is heating. Most people don't realize but nights are cold in europe when there is nothing to give off heat around us, no people, no cars, no electricity, that's why animals have fur after all. So firewood should be the number one priority before sundown because you can be hungry and thirsty for a day, but hypothermia is lethal. Which makes me wonder about the loot situation.

Maybe that's what the dayZ devs want to do with their "loot not re-spawning"? On server restart you get first dib on scavenging but then you're on your own. With regular server resets, there is no shortage of guns and bullets, those things essentially have no more value than a can of dog food, it's plentiful, it won't run out, you just have to be careful and with a bit of luck, it will come to you.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 16

So,what are you suggesting?

Making survival relentless and unforgiving?

Yes that would be nice.What i want to hear though,is how to make the game more survival-driven.

Lower the ammunition will help? Implementing the temperature system? Relying more to hunting and

dramatically lower the canned goods? Making working weapons so hard to find,that survivors will have to rely on meele?

Making evey weapon loot in the game broken rendering the survivor to fix it?

Lower the ponds number,make the purification tablexts extremly rare,and making the water to be so infected that the game will push you to the point where you find rain a heaven's bliss?

• Like 7

Most surviving mechanics are coming, including cold, warmth, disease, infection, and all that.

It is great to be part of the progression.

• Like 5

Yes that would be nice.What i want to hear though,is how to make the game more survival-driven.

Lower the ammunition will help? Implementing the temperature system? Relying more to hunting and

dramatically lower the canned goods? Making working weapons so hard to find,that survivors will have to rely on meele?

Lower the ponds number,make the purification tablexts extremly rare,and making the water to be so infected that the game will push you to the point where you find rain a heaven's bliss?

I think those "lootable" items should not respawn basically. Get server to restock every now and then, but basically have "looting" be only a stopgap measure to proper survival. However, >I'm not sure how to balance this, people server hop and will just go for the path of less resistance given the choice. And yes it means that after a while, getting a gun would be impossible unless you got it from someone else.

If you take the example of project zomboid (which is a singleplayer game) looting only buy you enough time to get ready for when lootable supplies run out, the power goes out and the water stops running, by that point, if you haven't come up with a long term plan for food, water and shelter, you're basically dead.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

If you look at that: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174626-weather-is-comingand-it-will-make-you-sick/

I think that covers the "heating"...

This one: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174639-interview-with-dean-hall-in-the-latest-pc-gamer-summerized/

regarding hunting, bow&arrows&improvised weapons and the rarity of guns...and also the loot respawn thing:

We get away from running to a particular building to find the military item. You might find one there, but nine times out of ten it won’t be. It’ll only be when they get destroyed or disappear that they respawn again.” The result will be a more mobile player population, making more use of parts of Chernarus away from the major cities and military bases.

ANd this about some other stuff which might go in the same direction:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174485-cz550-horses-tasers-persistent-containers-and-more-confirmed-by-dean-in-stream-video/?p=1783453

Edit: I also mainly surf the General discussion and the suggestions forum...but I can't do that for a long time because some threads... well, they make we want to punch somebody in the face. And every day, there is a new one of these kind of threads. or 2. Or 3. Or a dozen...

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1

hmmm, so I buy the game, log in all excitedly, only to find no loot anywhere cuz people that have had a weeks head start on me have cleared the server and are now hoarding everything.  So my only chance is to get lucky or spend my entire time eating berries.

How about, you set your own difficulty and just not pick up that extra can of beans... 

I think those "lootable" items should not respawn basically. Get server to restock every now and then, but basically have "looting" be only a stopgap measure to proper survival. However, >I'm not sure how to balance this, people server hop and will just go for the path of less resistance given the choice. And yes it means that after a while, getting a gun would be impossible unless you got it from someone else.

If you take the example of project zomboid (which is a singleplayer game) looting only buy you enough time to get ready for when lootable supplies run out, the power goes out and the water stops running, by that point, if you haven't come up with a long term plan for food, water and shelter, you're basically dead.

I think server hoppers have dramatically decrsed from the time the dev team implemented the timer.

That aside i have an idea but you propablly won't agree because it would take away from the immersion.Making most of the items on this game craftable,From crowbars,to a 50cal machine guns.There are some things that a player cant craft (defilibrators,water purification tablets and medicine in general) we should make them very rare to find(and dramatically decrese the general loot).

Lower the canned goods but have pleanty animal herds thus hunting.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

Loot on server restart=whining

Dynamical loot spawn=whining

Guns everywhere=whining

Guns get super-rare and don't respawn fast=whining

We don't know how the persistent containers work. Maybe they are like protector cases and you can have only one per character? Maybe you can have one per server? maybe you can have as many as you want...but well, other players may find them as well ;)

So in the future: Dont loot houses - search containers ;)

....heavens, all that tears. ALL THAT TEARS!

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 4

I like this! Beanz.

Imagine a game so hard that all KoS and CoD kiddies will go away. Utopia :D

• Like 3

hmmm, so I buy the game, log in all excitedly, only to find no loot anywhere cuz people that have had a weeks head start on me have cleared the server and are now hoarding everything.  So my only chance is to get lucky or spend my entire time eating berries.

Yep.

This is how DayZ should be. Of course loot should still respawn, but there will be less of it.

You can survive. Barely.

How about, you set your own difficulty and just not pick up that extra can of beans... 

I did mention that servers "should" restock periodically because yeah new players come regularly.

I don't think you should be able to craft just about anything, i love human ingenuity, i really do, but just a pair of hands and a toolbox doesn't lead to a 50cal LMG. However anyone should be able to grab a stick and sharpen it up on something, it's just a stick, but that's absolutely deadly in the right situation.

Ideally the game should hardly ever spawn "ready to use" items. A lot of the suggestions i see are a lot about what you would find in someone's go bag, preparedness and all, but having a fancy multitool or a firesteel is a bonus. You should be able to survive without 'handouts' from the former modern world.

Right now DayZ is more like the hunger games with random parachuting of canned goods and assault rifles.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

I did mention that servers "should" restock periodically because yeah new players come regularly.

I don't think you should be able to craft just about anything, i love human ingenuity, i really do, but just a pair of hands and a toolbox doesn't lead to a 50cal LMG. However anyone should be able to grab a stick and sharpen it up on something, it's just a stick, but that's absolutely deadly in the right situation.

Ideally the game should hardly ever spawn "ready to use" items. A lot of the suggestions i see are a lot about what you would find in someone's go bag, preparedness and all, but having a fancy multitool or a firesteel is a bonus. You should be able to survive without 'handouts' from the former modern world.

Right now DayZ is more like the hunger games with random parachuting of canned goods and assault rifles.

Hmmm,i see so you are more of the "i need to live in the woods with hunting and water from the creek"

not the "Okay guys,let's build our cities from scratch/repopulate and bestow civilazation again sort of thing.

If you ask me,i'm okay with both options.I really would enjoy the freedom to Mold the parts of an ak47,and making the reequired machinery and practically try to take back our "former" lives.

Edit: Or am i taking things too far in your opinion?

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

What would you class as periodically?

Hourly

Daily

Weekly

Monthly

I find it pretty easy to survive as food is plentiful, once hunting and cooking is implemented we might see some movement in loot tables, but for now they are fine.  Lets get more content in game before we start messing around with stuff such as loot amounts.

this is EXACTLY what i expect of the finished game

Edited by e47

Hmmm,i see so you are more of the "i need to live in the woods with hunting and water from the creek"

not the "Okay guys,let's build our cities from scratch/repopulate and bestow civilazation again sort of thing.

If you ask me,i'm okay with both options.I really would enjoy the freedom to Mold the parts of an ak47,and making the reequired machinery and practically try to take back our "former" lives.

I'm just trying to be a little rational here. The game as it is is eternally "stuck" in an "early outbreak" scenario with all the luxuries of modern life ripe for the picking and none of the inconvenience. Yet it never evolve toward a more long term survival situation. Sure you might rebuild society, but there is no shortcuts to plastics and machined parts. Those goods can only exist because of a functional production chain that doesn't exist anymore.

In the long term, for a lone wolf, becoming a woodsman is the only viable solution. For a group of players, there might be a return to a pre industrialization society, but without the production chain, it will be mostly based on the consumption of stockpiled resources and recycling/refactoring and then will most likely degrade slowly to more primitive technologies as those resources disappear.

• Like 2

Thanks OP, this was very entertaining! More seriously, you want to make life harder for yourself is fine but don't ever try pushing your vision onto others, the game is a sandbox to be played as it pleased to all.

Thanks OP, this was very entertaining! More seriously, you want to make life harder for yourself is fine but don't ever try pushing your vision onto others, the game is a sandbox to be played as it pleased to all.

I'm sorry?

Where did you see me going against the idea of a sandbox?

• Like 1

I'd rather have the opposite.  The ability to take scrap metal and machine it into AK parts like the TV show Vice showed them doing in the Philippines.

The maximum level of "civilization" possible should be something like The Walking Dead.  At best, survivors can patch some fences and build some barricades to create a perimeter to protect areas that have been cleared of zombies.  Maybe grow some crops or keep some livestock.  But players shouldn't be able to craft a Camaro.

This shit ain't Sim City or Minecraft.

Oh, also loot needs to respawn.  Having loot only spawn on server restarts makes the game too predictable.  You can just go to a server with 0 players early in the (real world) morning and load up in Balota and Cherno.in like 30 minutes.

Edited by bfisher

Did you get the chance to read this post kindly placed by forum member Test_Subject_83 it's contains a lot of the answers that you seek, and made me super excited for the coming game once finished this will be a masterpiece.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174639-interview-with-dean-hall-in-the-latest-pc-gamer-summerized/

I'd rather have the opposite.  The ability to take scrap metal and machine it into AK parts like the TV show Vice showed them doing in the Philippines.

The maximum level of "civilization" possible should be something like The Walking Dead.  At best, survivors can patch some fences and build some barricades to create a perimeter to protect areas that have been cleared of zombies.  Maybe grow some crops or keep some livestock.  But players shouldn't be able to craft a Camaro.

This shit ain't Sim City or Minecraft.

Oh, also loot needs to respawn.  Having loot only spawn on server restarts makes the game too predictable.  You can just go to a server with 0 players early in the (real world) morning and load up in Balota and Cherno.in like 30 minutes.

But then how do you properly simulate a diminishing amount of scavenge worthy resources?

I want loot to respawn regularly, to keep people visiting towns all the time. I think a lot of the problem now is that pretty much everything we can find has a use, there isn't any chance to go to town and, even if it had respwned the loot, and still not find much of value. Adding junk loot with a high chance of spawning would not only make the place look more ransacked, with emply cans everywhere and generally useless items left over from civilised times. It could also give that feeling that "damn, we were too late" Things like TV guides, remotes, dead batterys, salt and pepper shakers....anything you could think of lol,  could water down loot a lot :)

FYI when dealing with an otherwise healthy individual here is a simple rule of 3's

A untreated wound can kill you in 3 minutes

Exposure can kill you in 3 hours

Lack of water can kill you in 3 days

Starvation can kill you in, wait for it, 3 WEEKS

Food is actually your last concern.

Edited by Franchi

Another thread with the baseline off:  "I don't like the way others play, force them to play my way!!!!!!"

I want loot to respawn regularly, to keep people visiting towns all the time. I think a lot of the problem now is that pretty much everything we can find has a use, there isn't any chance to go to town and, even if it had respwned the loot, and still not find much of value. Adding junk loot with a high chance of spawning would not only make the place look more ransacked, with emply cans everywhere and generally useless items left over from civilised times. It could also give that feeling that "damn, we were too late" Things like TV guides, remotes, dead batterys, salt and pepper shakers....anything you could think of lol,  could water down loot a lot :)

An alternative solution once we get a more in depth crafting tree is to make "ready to use" items rarer and favor items that are either crafting components or require a transformation before being useable (dead batteries, dirty water, raw meat...)

Another thread with the baseline off:  "I don't like the way others play, force them to play my way!!!!!!"

You can never know if there is something good in a topic unless you read it.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1