super_shadow

Lockable and breakable doors and windows

I suggest (when home base and/or hidden places for loot will be added) to make all doors lockable (using different locks - not only hanged that could be picked by crowbar), lock-pick-able and breackable (using some items, so unarmed player can't break it/pick the lock).

That will make locking your house, locking items in some chests, safes and boxes, and imprisoning caught players be achievable. Just like in real life...

Then all stealthy things, like stealing, breaking in others homes, bases and hidden places, and such things like imprisoning and getting your friends free, could be realized.

• Like 6

if i were to get imprisoned i would just log in and out and respawn...

and from what i know lock mechanism and safebox exist in mod version. so these are probably expected to come out :)

maybe after months :D

Edited by flyingsauce

I was writing about recreating the dharacter at another post. I suggest to "chain" the loot you have (including that you are storing at safe place, directly to the character. So, if you create new dhar, you need to startower gathering loot. If you release from being prison, you just csn find your loot, where you left it.

But maybe Developers, will just "chain" the character to the account. That will help to. I don't think there is much sencein a lot of things, when you can make new char immediately.

This wat happens now, when you breack legs and cant walk, you just need to die and can immediately start ower. If there will be stored loot, you can continue almist in the state you was before. Desth¡csrachter recreation shoul be MORE tragic thing, than just running for your stored stuff. Or it's just kills the idea of permanent death.

I think all doors (or at least most of 'em) should be lockable without the need of another item...but they can be broken by charging to it with a scroll menu action or an axe or explosives (when available) or shit like that

This will come in due time no doubt.. random zombies with a house key on them.. zombies should also be able to climb through lower windows therefore actually making it worth while fortifying the windows etc

• Like 1

I was about to post something like this :)

Personally, without concerning about bases/home etc., i would simply enjoy that i can

- sneak inside a random building

- bolt one or more doors with some item, i.e. a wooden bar (easy to take out), a nailed wooden bar (harder) , crowbars, etc.

This way i could eat, setup inventory, look at the map, etc. relatively safe, avoiding heart attacks

each time i hear any damn sound.

Would be nice and realistic 

• Like 1

I would be nice if you could change the lock of a house with some tools, so you can have a "safe" place where you can put items.

When someone changes the lock of a house the loot should not respawn any more inside that house.

Once the house is locked It would be nice the new containers like the refrigerator  doesn't get it's items deleted and survive server restarts, acting like persistent containers.

Once the door is break the loot will respawn normally and the loot inside the new containers will be deleted and replaced with some new loot on server restarts.

• Like 1

Was about to start a new topic about it, but since I found this one.

The look and somehow the feeling in dayz remind me of JaggedAlliance2 (yiha) and something I do miss are doors, that can't just be opened by pushing them.

When you think about it, it is a little weird, that all the doors are unlocked. There should be doors you have to break first (with lockpicking, or violence) before you can open them.

(looking forward for the containers! :)  )

About the imprisoning someone idea, it won't work unless there's a way to prevent server hopping. Otherwise, I like this idea!

I was about to post something similar, but I'm sure I'd get the "search 1st" post so I'll necro this one!

I think this should be one of the basic forms of "barricading"

IMO there should be 3 was to open locks.

1) force :  (such as bashing it with a axe, crowbar, bat etc. ), this should make a good bit of noise and attract infected if they are near by and should take a fair amount of time (not to long but there should be effort involved) this should also damage the weapon quite a bit and make the lock unusable after wards.

2) finesse : lock picking (it could be actual lock picks or for more basic locks even things like credit cards, screwdrivers, knives etc.) the picks could either be consumed on use or work sorta like other games and be a meta game with a chance to break based on how well you used them. picked locks could be relocked (with a key)

3) a key : pretty self explanatory, there could be generic "master keys" that would open doors/locks similar to how hand cuff keys work, depending on how in depth they wanted to go you could have several types of locks that would require there own type of key (pad locks, standard door locks, deadbolts combination locks etc.) more on that below...

types of locks

I'd like to see different kinds of locks, with different durability and uses, below I'll list a few ideas (feel free to expound on these).

Basic (door) locksthese should be on most/all outward facing doors on houses etc. basic "door handle" locks. they should be one of the easiest to deal with using just about any tool to "lock pick" or melee weapon to destroy, also the key to fit them should be common or at most uncommon (not to rare) *note: I am not suggesting that all doors should be locked by default, most should not but some should and all should be lockable if you have a key*

dead bolts. these should be more in industrial/commercial/military buildings. they should be much tougher than "basic" locks. Picking them should either be imposable or require actual "lock picks", breaking them should take a great deal longer and pretty much ruin (or badly damage) most melee weapons (maybe make a crowbar work a bit better than say a bat). keys should be RARE.

Pad locks : pad locks could be removable locks that could (maybe require a chain ) lock any open-able object, like gates, doors and maybe even containers (like fridges). there could be different quality of pad locks (ranging in difficulty from easy to hard. much like the difference between common locks and deadbolts )

Combination locks! : basically a lock that you have to enter and certain number combination to open (it could be like a spin dial or individual numbers), you couldn't really "pick" it but given time I guess you could "crack" it by trying combinations over and over, breaking it could be the same as a pad lock, as for what the "key" is there could be several (or just one ) default PIN (this maybe hard to implement,  but I'd love to be able to reset the PIN once you open it to what ever you want)

there's really a unlimited number of "types" of locks you could make (like jail cell locks, car door locks) and maybe some of those would be good, I guess it would just be resource dependent, these are just some suggestions I have.

please share your suggestions, and constructive criticism ;-)

First off I know this has been posted before (infact this will be a copy and past of a reply I made to a old topic), but since many only read the OP I figured I'd start a "fresh" topic.

TL:DR when they put in barricades I think locks should be implemented, and here are some of my suggestions.

IMO there should be 3 ways to open locks.

1) force :  (such as bashing it with a axe, crowbar, bat etc. ), this should make a good bit of noise and attract infected if they are near by and should take a fair amount of time (not to long but there should be effort involved) this should also damage the weapon quite a bit and make the lock unusable after wards.

2) finesse : lock picking (it could be actual lock picks or for more basic locks even things like credit cards, screwdrivers, knives etc.) the picks could either be consumed on use or work sorta like other games and be a meta game with a chance to break based on how well you used them. picked locks could be relocked (with a key)

3) a key : pretty self explanatory, there could be generic "master keys" that would open doors/locks similar to how hand cuff keys work, depending on how in depth they wanted to go you could have several types of locks that would require there own type of key (pad locks, standard door locks, deadbolts combination locks etc.) more on that below...

types of locks

I'd like to see different kinds of locks, with different durability and uses, below I'll list a few ideas (feel free to expound on these).

Basic (door) locksthese should be on most/all outward facing doors on houses etc. basic "door handle" locks. they should be one of the easiest to deal with using just about any tool to "lock pick" or melee weapon to destroy, also the key to fit them should be common or at most uncommon (not to rare) *note: I am NOT suggesting that all doors should be locked by default, most should not. but some COULD be locked by default, and all should be lockable IF you have a KEY*

dead bolts. these should be more in industrial/commercial/military buildings. they should be much tougher than "basic" locks. Picking them should either be imposable or require actual "lock picks", breaking them should take a great deal longer and pretty much ruin (or badly damage) most melee weapons (maybe make a crowbar work a bit better than say a bat). keys should be RARE.

Pad locks : pad locks could be removable locks that could (maybe require a chain ) lock any open-able object, like gates, doors and maybe even containers (like fridges). there could be different quality of pad locks (ranging in difficulty from easy to hard. much like the difference between common locks and deadbolts )

Combination locks! : basically a lock that you have to enter and certain number combination to open (it could be like a spin dial or individual numbers), you couldn't really "pick" it but given time I guess you could "crack" it by trying combinations over and over, breaking it could be the same as a pad lock, as for what the "key" is there could be several (or just one ) default PIN (this maybe hard to implement,  but I'd love to be able to reset the PIN once you open it to what ever you want)

there's really a unlimited number of "types" of locks you could make (like jail cell locks, car door locks) and maybe some of those would be good, I guess it would just be resource dependent, these are just some suggestions I have.

please share your suggestions, and constructive criticism ;-)

P.S. along the lines of Combination locks maybe have safes as "persistent" storage, depending on the grade of safe they should be very hard to impossible to "brute force" (maybe you have to use explosives or some sort of cutting torch if they add such things to the game) and require special tools to lock pick (if that should even be possible)

Edited by Ramzzzeee

I like the idea, but it would be too time consuming and since the setting of the game is a few years after the outbreak, I doubt there would be any doors closed.

Edited by So Sexy

It'd be funny camping in the military buildings which have wooden walls, yes, some of them do. You hear someone unlocking the door and you just spray bullets trough the wood...

(( In the future ))

I like the idea, but it would be too time consuming and since the setting of the game is a few years after the outbreak, I doubt there would be any doors closed.

I haven't seen any actual time line, so I don't see why you wouldn't? it seems more likely than finding fresh fruit (as some posted here) and about or more likely then finding any food at all.

and on high pop servers you probably wouldn't find many locked doors (unless some one was camping behind the door)  as most would likely be looted already.

you maybe right about the time consuming part, I don't know as I'm not a dev...

btw it's hard to get my tone across here. I am in no way attacking you, and you maybe right (I really wish there was some sort of official time frame that all this had went down in)

thanks for your input!

I don't know about the rest of the world but all the combo locks i've seen in Aus have a small pin-tumbler lock on the rear that you can pick.

• Like 1

Now this is just an idea but I think it would be a cool addition.

Lockable doors.

You would have to come across a key much like a handcuff key but it would be a master key. Maybe even once you got it you would have to figure out what style building it would lock. Maybe even somehow craft a key. Anyways I think that idea would be cool to lock yourself in a building and no one can get in or to lock zombies out. even to be able to have private savable area.

To add to this. It would be great to somehow add in being able to save things in the server. (in this locked house) such as a book bag with medical supplies or extra weapons and keep them in a chest or something... to be able to have access later. Even storing things you collected and to be able to call a place "home".

However when you die it is all erased from the server and you start over just like normal.

I don't know if this is even plausible with the server load is could cause. I just thought it might be a cool idea. Much like in Fallout 3 and new vegas, you have a home to store things and can always resort to going with a craft bench and/or other items. I'm not talking about something that complex but lockable door would be a start. 

Edited by BMAF

This will be possible later on but i think it will be barricading yourself in rather than lock

Locks would need to be able to be picked, broken, and forced in for this system to work. The real issue is how to stop players that ghost from getting into your base.

Locks would need to be able to be picked, broken, and forced in for this system to work. The real issue is how to stop players that ghost from getting into your base.

Yes, def being able to pick the locks or something of the sort is a must. Nothing can be 100% safe.

What do you mean by ghosting?

Suggestion on how to barricade? Just curious.

Hammer + nail + plank of wood. Even though doors swing to the outside, this will change later on. Not sure if they will add a possibilty of moving furniture as well

Yes, def being able to pick the locks or something of the sort is a must. Nothing can be 100% safe.

If you keep on pressing v and hold w key against the wall, you will walk through the wall, its a glitch waiting to be fixed

You can server hop into the base by using another server.

Just an Idea but ....

Locking doors to prevent Zombie Fights?

Maybe we could lock the doors with a Special Kit or Something and other guys can unlock them with Lockpicks?

What would you say about it?