Sign in to follow this  
Combine (DayZ)

(Modern) Water purification / filtering !

300px-Wate_Tabs.png?version=3e82dce9c5de

In a world with no more tap water left but (unclean) water sources all over, you like what you see?

I don't!

------

Time to get real. Real with the real deal. Obviously, soon™ unclean water sources will have a more bigger impact on gameplay, thus making this stuff more relevant. But by the rate you need to drink, effectively you can't get far with some pills, can you? Or can your group get far with a few pills? And obviously, you can't boil it all the time in every situation!

But there's actually four methods as opposed to the two we know!

• Boiling water (to be added)
  • Chemical disinfection (purification tablets you see above)
  • ???
  • ???

That's RIGHT! At least two other ways from a realistic standpoint! Or maybe even more, but let's focus on two!

But(t) what are they? Well, many of you might know them already.

------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------

UV LIGHT FILTER
800px-Steripen_in_use.jpg
Simple. Add water, use the lamp on a liter of water for about 90 seconds while you agitate the water during that time. There are various handy systems, for example one where you use a "pen" that is battery powered or one that has a "dynamo", thus letting you power the UV light by mere muscle power. No need for batteries!  It doesn't "kill" bacteria and all that but renders it sterile, thus making the water safe for consumption if you make sure there's no contaminated water left near the cap. Just wipe it clean and there you go. 99,999% safe water.

But geeze, what about the nasty stuff in ponds and such that might make it into the bottle?

Use a pre-filter you can screw on top of the bottle. It filters out the "big" stuff. Or use cloth, a rag, etc.

PORTABLE WATER FILTRATION
 lifesaver2.jpg
What you'd expect, the classic or any homemade variant. Harmful contaminants are filtered out via various ways. These can come in small form, bottle size or as jerry can.

Water filters are used by hikers, aid organizations during humanitarian emergencies, and the military. These filters are usually small, portable and lightweight (1-2 pounds/0.5-1.0 kg or less), and usually filter water by working a mechanical hand pump, although some use a siphon drip system to force water through while others are built into water bottles. Dirty water is pumped via a screen-filtered flexible silicon tube through a specialized filter, ending up in a container. These filters work to remove bacteria, protozoa and microbial cysts that can cause disease. Filters may have fine meshes that must be replaced or cleaned, and ceramic water filters must have their outside abraded when they have become clogged with impurities.
These water filters should not be confused with devices or tablets that disinfect water which remove or kill viruses such as hepatitis A and rotavirus. - Wikipedia

Gameplay?

Well, maybe you're thirsty now. But would this work in gameplay terms? Yes. The items would be rare and restricted to certain places. They could / would exist in Chernarus because of the military in general. Furthermore, CDF Troops (Chernarus military) are or used to be UN troops abroad, serving in Takistan (another fictional country from the A2 universe) which explains why you can find UN berets and soon blue UN helmets. Considering your average middle east country places or rural areas they'd bring these kind of filters with them and have them in stock at home somewhere I imagine. They'd obviously be better in good condition than your average tablets because they can filter or purify way more water before breaking. You could go on for a very long time. But others might want them, or you'd have to find and change filters after some time?

OP? Maybe, but it is what it is. That's why they should be rare and / or slightly downgraded in terms of gameplay, if you like. Using them might come at a disadvantage already. It could take some time and render you "immobilized" as you purify, for example via UV light. If using UV light it could be optional to use a rag to filter out particles before sterilizing.

These items would be a good alternative to being sick but in the wilderness or hydrated but reliant on towns / wells / limited chemicals. As for size, you could not just implement the bottles but also jerry cans (for filtration, NOT UV light) that hold more but are obviously also bigger in size. 4 to 6 compared to 2 slots for example, with the focus being on group use.

Videos!

These videos are only to give a better understanding. I don't want to promote (these) products commercially, even if some ads are used (for being short). For more, consult your favorite search engine or video network.

FILTRATION Bottle and jerry can

UV LIGHT with and without battery

Conclusion or short version

Developers and community, please consider such items. It would be realistic and possible to find them in Chernarus, but they might or should be limited in quantity. That should be the downside of being able to purify large® quantities of water without having to rely on limited chemicals or time consuming boiling. In addition they could be downgraded slightly compared to reality if really needed regarding quality. Depending on what item you use it should immobilize you for up to 90 seconds (UV light).

Discuss!

Edited by Combine
  • Like 1

maybe also Lifestraw?

lifestraw-personal-water-filter.jpg

they are given out by UNO/NATO, etc. in regions, where clean water is rare.

Chernarus may not have this issue, but when there were the US, and UN-bluehelmets.. why not? :D

Edited by irishroy

Come on guys, surely you don't want to boil your water all the time or resort to chemical disinfection! :D

Psst! I bet the "No unpleasant taste or color." part is fake!

I don't really see the issue with boiling or using purification tablets? 

So far I haven't had one time in this game where I couldn't get to a clean water source. Perhaps if they make it so you need to drink more often (especially while jogging long distance) these things might come into play. 

Hi,

There are different types of water filtration systems from on-the-tap faucet filtration systems dispensers and pitchers using carbon filters, to those using reverse osmosis technique. To know more follow the link.

--------------

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

81126_sunbeam_water_filter__chiller.jpg

Edited by nickyy99

Are we working on the assumption that the "infection" is in the water or is it just stagnation that we need to purify it from.

Personally I want all water from pumps and ponds to be tainted, forcing you to filter or purify it. That said the water you get from rain should be potable. If you have an empty tin can or better still a pot, stick it out in the rain and it'll fill up. I believe you can do this with canteens although I've not tried it.

i would like one of these portable water filters ingame, and they should be rare (like LRS maybe ?) because you could get infinite clean water with it.

maybe make it only spawn at military bases or very rare in medical centres (these small blue buildings)

I do a good deal of backpacking, and I always use a water pump like this one:

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifguide.jpg

They're pretty good at what they do, but the filters need to be changed after a couple weeks of use, which could also be a mechanic here.

Edited by Pvt_Larry

My belief is that the game should not add non-durable survival tools. They shouldnt add items that are designed for short term disaster relief as they will either have to make them insanely rare and implement more durable methods anyway, or will have to constantly spawn this kind of stuff to equip the never ending streams of coast spawners.

If you can't repair it or repurpose it, it shouldnt be there.

Collecting rainwater, boiling water and building your own water filter would be much more rewarding filtration methods.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 2

Are we working on the assumption that the "infection" is in the water or is it just stagnation that we need to purify it from.

Personally I want all water from pumps and ponds to be tainted, forcing you to filter or purify it. That said the water you get from rain should be potable. If you have an empty tin can or better still a pot, stick it out in the rain and it'll fill up. I believe you can do this with canteens although I've not tried it.

I don't think people understand how wells work. I've seen this suggestion quite a bit and, barring an actually infected well (bacteria on the walls, which isn't terribly common, but can happen) ground water is the safest source of water around.

People do realize that there was a time before iodine, chlorine, and UV lights? Where people drank water right out of wells and didn't die every few drinks?

Also, the big miss on this thread is simply chlorine. It is all over the dang place. It cleans water.

• Like 1

@Valadian i see your point.But theres a disease named cholera it spreads from not purified water sources.They main symptoms are diarrhea and vomiting can lead to rapid dehydration and  death in some cases.We can all see the piles of trash and dead body so theres always a chance to contamination of water source from bacteria or chemical pollution.

In game mechanics let the water from pumps and ponds to be 10% chance to be tainted.And for some time of sickens theres like 1% chance that you end dead.

Anyway we can always boil the water or use bleach or purification tablets as for the water filtration system posted by Combine actually they not that common in post soviet rural country.

@Valadian i see your point.But theres a disease named cholera it spreads from not purified water sources.They main symptoms are diarrhea and vomiting can lead to rapid dehydration and  death in some cases.We can all see the piles of trash and dead body so theres always a chance to contamination of water source from bacteria or chemical pollution.

In game mechanics let the water from pumps and ponds to be 10% chance to be tainted.And for some time of sickens theres like 1% chance that you end dead.

Anyway we can always boil the water or use bleach or purification tablets as for the water filtration system posted by Combine actually they not that common in post soviet rural country.

I'm aware of cholera, but the pumps are pulling groundwater, not surface water. The chance of them getting contaminated is very slim. Ponds, rivers, lakes, absolutely. Pumps, not very likely unless people are shoving dead bodies down them.

I don't think people understand how wells work. I've seen this suggestion quite a bit and, barring an actually infected well (bacteria on the walls, which isn't terribly common, but can happen) ground water is the safest source of water around.

People do realize that there was a time before iodine, chlorine, and UV lights? Where people drank water right out of wells and didn't die every few drinks?

Also, the big miss on this thread is simply chlorine. It is all over the dang place. It cleans water.

In the real world I understand what you are meaning, but there are 3 points I'd like to make in relation to that. 

1) We don't know what this "infection" is. Is it airborne, is it waterborne, is it transmitted via close contact, etc, etc.. Until that is defined you don't know to what level the water table could be affected. This was why I questioned in the previous post just what it is we are purifying the water from.

2) It's a game, in order to make the game more challenging I think making the concession to all water to be in some way affected is not a bad thing as such. Perhaps limit it to only Hardcore servers perhaps?

3) Dread demonstrates a perfect example of why water pumps could be infected...

There is a famous study by John Snow about the London cholera outbreak in the 1800's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak - although that would suggest that only certain pumps would be infected.

i would like one of these portable water filters ingame, and they should be rare (like LRS maybe ?) because you could get infinite clean water with it.

maybe make it only spawn at military bases or very rare in medical centres (these small blue buildings)

They are not infinite, and unlike boiling water on a fire (which isn't ideal but better than nothing) once it's gone, it's gone. It's good for disaster relief, it's good for home use, it's probably not a good idea to rely on it for long term survival (1+ year) without having a more long term solution.

In the real world I understand what you are meaning, but there are 3 points I'd like to make in relation to that. 

1) We don't know what this "infection" is. Is it airborne, is it waterborne, is it transmitted via close contact, etc, etc.. Until that is defined you don't know to what level the water table could be affected. This was why I questioned in the previous post just what it is we are purifying the water from.

2) It's a game, in order to make the game more challenging I think making the concession to all water to be in some way affected is not a bad thing as such. Perhaps limit it to only Hardcore servers perhaps?

3) Dread demonstrates a perfect example of why water pumps could be infected...

There is a famous study by John Snow about the London cholera outbreak in the 1800's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1854_Broad_Street_cholera_outbreak - although that would suggest that only certain pumps would be infected.

1) We don't know much about the infection, except that players are immune. Which has been confirmed.

2) In a survival game, things should at least reflect realistic or authentic survival. Which means finding clean water sources.

3) There was no indication of how it might happen, just that it might happen. Generally it occurs when you have too many people using a well and not properly caring for it. A sealed well (like in game) with little usage (like in game) isn't likely to get infected.

• Like 1

I posted this in a different thread, but I'm afraid it goes better here.  There are many ways to get clean water that haven't been implemented in this game but _are_ things that real survivalists teach:

1. Springs

I'm sure some people might call me crazy for suggesting it, but water really does well up out of the ground in some places and it's perfectly clean and drinkable.  They call these spots 'springs' and they would be fairly easy to make in the game even with the current game engine.  There would probably need to be some kind of indicator for springs vs stagnant pools though -- maybe color?

There could also be places where someone could dig just a little bit and find clean water - especially in densely wooded areas. Another idea would be to have water come out of a hill, just making a small wet area of rocks on a steep slope.  This one would be easy to put into the existing game world by just adding a shiny texture to the ground.

2. Wells

Some city kids might be scared of well water, but generally speaking it's perfectly clean and fine.  The trick is that if the well hasn't been used in a while, you need to pump until you get clear water - the water sitting in the 60+ft long pipe underground would be considered 'stagnant' and could make you sick.

3. Solar still

Google 'solar still' if you don't know what they are.  I think people should be able to construct one the same way you construct a fireplace.  Rocks + some type of water container + plastic sheet + maybe a shovel = solar still construction items.

4. Machete + vines = water

I assume not everyone knows this, but plants require water to survive, and some plants can be cut to provide drinkable water.  The most common of these is vines, but I know there are others as well -- and the water that comes out of them is perfectly clean, having been filtered by the plant.

5. Rags + morning dew or rain

You can tie rags around your ankles and walk through a field in the morning to collect dew.  You can also use this trick in the rain.

6. I'm tired of typing now... but there are more!

We should be able to find giant water filters that cost around 300 dollars with a giant picture of Alex Jones' face on them

• Like 1

AND tin foil hats, of course. Maybe pink ones with AJs name on them, too.

+ hidden special black in foil hat or so! Hidden bonus: Water fluoride remover: Anything you drink with it is considered clean water!

Edited by Combine
  • Like 1